View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
Suzanne 3FC
it's always something

Default any diet supplements proven to help with weight loss? Q&A from Shape

This is in this month's Shape magazine and I really liked the answer and wanted to share.

Q. I feel like I've tried every dietary supplement known to man, including Hydroxycut, chromium picolinate, and chitosan, but nothing works, despite all the promises. Is there any dietary supplement that actually has been proven to help with safe weight loss?

A. "The answer is no" says David Levitsky, Ph.D., professor of nutrition and psychology at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. In the doses recommended, no supplement has been found to be effective for losing weight, Levitsky adds. "When a dose becomes effective in terms of increasing metabolic rate, it becomes dangerous. You can run into heart, blood pressure and other medical problems." Even the risky supplements that actually may promote weight loss, such as ephedra, don't help take off more than a couple of pounds - and even then, they work only in the short term.

Levitsky surveyed 150 web sites advertising weight-loss supplements and then reviewed all the published research on the active ingredients found in the supplements. Not a single ingredient lived up to the weight-loss claims advertised. In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

"Everyone's looking for a magic bullet," Levitsky says, "but there is just no substitute for calorie control."

=====================================

I thought this statement in particular was worth noting..
In all cases, either the research cited could not be located in any journal or database, or the studies did not actually prove weight loss.

It makes you wonder about all of the claims presented in advertisements, that look so reputable! Think twice.