Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/T/160

Height: 5'7"

Question Tattoo and being old??

I know this is not weight related but its something I have always been wondering...why are people so scared of getting tattoos? some poeple say they would like to get some but dont cause they always talk about when they get old the tattoos wont look the same..etc, but what if you dont even get to be old? What if youre just avoiding something you want for nothing? I personally wont care if my tattoos look weird once im old and wrinkly...they look good now and im so happy of having them i would probably still love them when im old because I will know I didnt keep from doing something I wanted.
KrazieStarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #2  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Hey you know what? Our grandchildren's generation will have THE COOLEST GRANDPARENTS lol That's all. :P I love my tattoos.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

What I wanna know is who would look at my old wrinkly body close enough to see a old wrinkly tattoo?
Even more so if it's in a place that's gonna be covered up most of the time. Like I don't think granny is gonna wear a backless dress or a tank top with low rise jeans and show off her ink.

I for one am gonna be all inked up.(i already have one) And if anyone asked me what I'm gonna do when i get old. I'll say. "Same thing you'll be doing when your old...what's your point?" ^.^

Personally I don't know why people have issues with tattoos now-a-days...I mean I can understand the older people saying this, but not people our own age. Tattoos are personal and shouldn't really be questioned. (Unless to hear the story behind it) That would be like asking a person why they wax their private areas when shaving is less painful. @.@
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I don't know! I have a friend going in for her first tattoo on Wednesday and I'm SO proud of her! She's been talking for years about getting this small tattoo on her foot and she's finally doing it. She's ABSOLUTELY terrified of it. I keep telling her it's not going to be that bad but nothing I'm saying is changing her mind lol.

I don't get it so much about tattoos but I really get "WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE OLD?!" about my stretched lobes. And you know what? Then I'll effing have stretched ears when I'm old! I'll just have to keep going up in sizes as my ears lose elasticity and self stretch ;D I'm not a teenager. ****. In 2.5 years I'll be 30. I'm not pretending I know everything I'll ever like in my entire life, but I'm pretty sure my stretched ears aren't going anywhere.

They are part of who I am. With each size I stretched up I thought I looked more and more like the "actual" me. When I got to 00g I said "That's it. That's me." and I stopped. Same thing with the tattoos. They are a part of ME. So what if they get old and wrinkly, the rest of me will be old and wrinkly as well.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #5  

I lol'd at the cool grandparents thing..hehe..but exactly! Its not like we are going to be any different just cause we have tattoos..were going to be doing the same thing any old person will be doing...I just dont understand why people get so worked up about it...just relax and enjoy your life..if u like and want a tattoo then get it..if you dont like them, then just dont worry about it or other peoples'
Old 05-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #6  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

It's also possible to get tattoos retouched so that they don't look faded and worn out, so I don't think that's a great excuse. I think some people like the idea, but don't really want one and those kinds of excuses bridge the gap for them. Once the first one is placed, it feels more natural to get a second.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Going for my first tattoo in the next few weeks - it just took me 45 years to decide what I wanted to see in the mirror every day! The fact that my spouse and my mother are absolutely horrified tells me that I'm on exactly the right track, finally.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #8  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I don't have any tats, just a personal preference; I am the odd one out, I am the only woman I know who does not have one...statement itsef BUT I have million stretch marks...those are like tattoos and they will look bad when I get old

I think people should quit worrying about old age. As long as one follows the simple rule; never tattoo your boy/girlfriend's (Or even spouses) name...tats are cool and why to regret them?
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of reasons people are afraid, reluctant, or ambivalent about getting a tattoo. Some of the reasons are legitimate concerns and some are based on misinformation or irrational fears. I think it boils down to this, if the concerns keep you from getting a tattoo, you don't really want a tattoo as much as you may think you do.

If a tattoo is important to you, you'll get one, and if it isn't, you won't. It's just like the thousands of other things people talk about wanting to do someday (like traveling, going back to school, starting a business.... whatever). If the person REALLY wants to do it, they will, and if they don't it was just another "fun to think about, but probably won't ever do for a thousand reason"things in life.

I'm "on the fence" about a tattoo myself. I've been planning on getting a tattoo to celebrate my first 100 lbs lost, and I said I would do it after I'd maintained the loss for at least two months. The deadline has passed, but I'm no closer to getting a tattoo because I don't yet know what I want, or where I want it. I do want it in a place that I can see it any time I want to (so I've been thinking of the top of my hand or forearm where I and everyone can see it, or on the underside of my wrist where most people won't see it).

I have chosen my tattooist (because I admire the work he's done for friends), and I did ask him about distortion (because I want the tattoo to be prominently displayed and because I'm already 43 and starting to sag and still have another 150 lbs to lose, I was somewhat concerned about distortion).

The tattoo artist gave me some great suggestions (locations and types of tattoos to avoid and types that would be less prone to distortion - like geometric and abstract designs).

Because I want additional tattoos to celebrate more milestones, he suggested a "charm bracelet" design for my wrist or ankle, that I can add additional tattoo "charms" to the bracelet. I loved the idea, but can't decide on my first "charm."

Overall, I want the designs to all be done in celtic knotwork style. I want a four leaf clover and a wolf (both to symbolize me), a frog (to symbolize hubby).

The decision making process has been a lot more difficult than I expected it to be, because I want the first tattoo to be extra special. I keep changing my mind, and maybe that means I'm not quite ready, or maybe it just means I haven't found or envisioned the right tattoo yet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
I have million stretch marks...those are like tattoos and they will look bad when I get old
Not long ago, I was watching a stand-up comic on television talking about how he found his girlfriend's stretch marks incredibly beautiful and sexy because to him they looked like "tiger stripes."

It made me rethink the stretchmarks, and I realized that I kind of do like how they look. Not so much the new ones (reddish/purple), but the old ones (the pearly white or silvery ones) really do look kind of pretty.

Now varicose and spider veins, not so much.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Not long ago, I was watching a stand-up comic on television talking about how he found his girlfriend's stretch marks incredibly beautiful and sexy because to him they looked like "tiger stripes.".
Are you talking about Katt Williams?? I saw a video of him doing stand up comedy and was talking about woman's stretchmarks and tiger stripes I thought it was hilarious!! Maybe us women do really worry about things like this when men don't even care at all..We always worry about how we look and whatnot and men dont even care or notice!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #12  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i have to jump in on this one... my parents and most of my family friends are tattoo artists. its actually a wives tale that tattoos automatically look bad once you get older. i have a few random points to make, so i will just do it separately:

1) tattoos start to look bad because people care for them wrong. people tend to forget to put sunscreen on their tattoos, even 20 years later, this is the best thing you can do for your tattoos. healing during the initial tattoo is also very important, if you use the wrong products during healing, it will effect the overall look of your tattoo

2) people tend to choose designs that are overly complicated. the more complicated your tattoo is, the worse it will distort over time. opt for simple lines and designs, and if you want something detailed, consider making it a little bit bigger, you will be grateful you did in 20 years

3) people neglect to get their tattoos touched up, every 5 years or so i get my tattoos touched up. it wont change the look of your tattoo, it only maintains the look, and keeps the colors and lines bright and sharp.

4) people choose the price of their tattoo over quality. if you are considering a tattoo, shop around, look at portfolios, and dont even think about the price. just because your brothers friend will do it in his garage for 25$, doesnt mean you should get it from him!

5) last, you need to trust your artist. talk with them to see what they think will work for your tattoo, and if they think that a certain color or style may not work, trust them. they know their abilitys better than you do, and a good tattoo artist will be willing to work with you as long as it takes. and the more you both plan your tattoo, the better it will look in the long run
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

First let me preface this by saying I am not a hater. But people should have some concerns about getting tattoos. Because as much as you (and I) would like to believe that tattoos represent freedom of expression, etc., there is a flaw in that thinking. In life, we don't really know where we will end up. And society, generally speaking, as a whole, does judge. So type of ink and placement might affect your opportunities in life. If you suddenly have a change of heart in the middle of your life and get a strong passion for politics, you might not have as much success in getting the public's support. If you were to seek out a career as an educator, you might be passed up for employment based on your appearance. Those are just a few examples of many. And while I would like to live in a world where we don't judge each other on our looks, it's likely not going to happen. And that is seen even with people who have experienced discrimination based on weight, not to mention gender, race, etc. Women are already paid less overall, and overlooked for positions they are overly qualified for. I'm just saying it may be something to consider for your future. As I step off my soapbox, I am going to research my next tattoo.... Take care.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazieStarz View Post
Are you talking about Katt Williams?? I saw a video of him doing stand up comedy and was talking about woman's stretchmarks and tiger stripes I thought it was hilarious!! Maybe us women do really worry about things like this when men don't even care at all..We always worry about how we look and whatnot and men dont even care or notice!
Yes that's him.

Similarly my hubby tells me my scarred right boob is his "favorite" because the scars (from removal of a tumor that turned out to be made of benign scar tissue) remind him how lucky he is not to have lost me to what might have been cancer (the tumor was found shortly before we married, and removed/biopsied shortly after).

I think we all, men and women can choose to see beauty in the battle scars of our own and others. To be sure, it's a different kind of beauty than the flawless, symmetrical beauty of youth - but it's beauty nonetheless.

Through my hubby's eyes I've learned to see the beauty in my oddly shaped, scarred right breast and in my stretch marks. I'm working on seeing the beauty in my flabby underarms, and haven't been quite as successful (about the closest I can get so far is imagining that if I were a flying squirrel the flappy underarms wouldn't be quite as ridiculous looking - unfortunately I'm not a flying squirrel).
Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #15  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

Ya know what? My skin is going to wrinkle and sag as I age. So is everyone elses, tattooed or not. None of us are gonna end up looking smokin' hot when we are 80. If my tattoo distorts a little, fades out a little, or looks slightly incongruous on an old lady...so freaking what? I doubt I'll be concerned in the slightest.

Speaking as someone who works with a lot of eldery people...on the whole they couldn't care less about how they look, much less what we think about it. lol
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote