Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Coworkers finally noticed

So, I've been losing since January, and I know it takes a while for others to notice, but hey... It took 6 whole months for my coworkers to say anything! Really, I've been dreading it, and it seemed like everyone noticed today! A vendor came in and commented on someone else who she thought looked thin. (They're all thin and about 20+ years younger than me.) And I heard someone say, "That's nothing. Have you seen 'Shucks?'" So, the vendor (female) comes into my office and demands that I stand up, looks me up and down, then says... "Oh yeah, you can really see it in your face." For that I had to stand up?!

And, then, a while later, a coworker calls me over to her station and says, "So, you've been losing weight?" What do you say to that? um... Yeah.

Then, my youngest coworker... cute little 24 year old thing... calls me over and says, "Have you lost weight recently? You look different." ??? What? Yeah.. recently... just overnight....

I'm thinking these girls have never seen someone transform. Any one of them could lose 10 lbs and absolutely blow away! I know I'm too sensitive. I knew I would be. It's just that people seem to have no idea what to say. I wish someone would've said, "Gosh, 'Shucks', you look great! Keep it up." Period. But, if they had said that, then I'd probably think they think I still have a long way to go.

I know there's no pleasing me. I just had to share my frustration with you guys. Anyone else been there?
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 417/353.6/250

Height: 5'3

I had one cowork stop me and ask if she could ask me a question, i said sure, she said " i dont want to offend you, but have you lost weight?" i was like oh yeah about 65lbs. it was funny though
ALG918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I constantly get the "Wow! Look how thin your face looks!" That's great, guys. Now I can wear that eye patch and masquerade mask I've always wanted to wear. Forget the bikini! I don't know, but it seems the magic number for me was at about 20 pounds. Then people started the comments and questions. Now every successive pound I lose I have to deal with people telling me that I should stop now because I'm apparently thin enough for their standards. Well gee guys, that's swell. But I am still about 15 pounds from where I want to be. Except the people in my gym. They have been supportive. The trainer even asked me how much I have lost, and I'm not a client of his! I guess I have been in there enough for people to notice. I think sometimes people that see us often don't notice as much when we change. So here I am telling you "Gosh shucks, you look great. Keep it up!"
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I constantly get the "Wow! Look how thin your face looks!" That's great, guys. Now I can wear that eye patch and masquerade mask I've always wanted to wear. Forget the bikini!

So funny! I think it took about 30 lbs for people to start questioning if I had lost some weight. When people see me now who haven't seen me in a few months, they are blown away. It seems that they think I lost 60 lbs since, maybe February or March. What people, myself included until I started this journey, don't realize is that when you have a lot to lose - you are still overweight even with a 20, 30, 40+ pound weight loss. Yes, you are healthier and feel lighter and can wear a smaller plus size than you started out in, but you still have a long way to go. I lost about 12 pounds in 2010 - no one noticed. I lost about 30 lbs in 2011 and no one noticed anything until the last quarter of the year - and even then it was a question mark and an eye squint looking me up and down - "Have you lost weight?" It really was a question and not a statement.

Now, I get ridiculous remarks, like a woman asking me today if my husband starves me. Really? I liked it better when people didn't notice. However, that doesn't mean I am going to stop trying to lose more weight. I'm going to keep doing my thing despite the nut jobs.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #5  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALG918 View Post
I had one cowork stop me and ask if she could ask me a question, i said sure, she said " i dont want to offend you, but have you lost weight?" i was like oh yeah about 65lbs. it was funny though
Funny that she thought asking would be offensive. I think it just goes to show that unless they've lived life significantly overweight, people just can't relate. You're smart, ALG, to take her comment in the best way possible.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #6  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I constantly get the "Wow! Look how thin your face looks!" That's great, guys. Now I can wear that eye patch and masquerade mask I've always wanted to wear. Forget the bikini! ... Except the people in my gym. They have been supportive. The trainer even asked me how much I have lost, and I'm not a client of his! I guess I have been in there enough for people to notice. I think sometimes people that see us often don't notice as much when we change. So here I am telling you "Gosh shucks, you look great. Keep it up!"
Ha ha! Thanks, Brandis! It must be great to have been noticed by a trainer. They have a professional as well as personal interest in your progress, and they would know just how much work went into what you've accomplished. You're really close to goal -- you go girl!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
......So, the vendor (female) comes into my office and demands that I stand up, looks me up and down, then says... "Oh yeah, you can really see it in your face." For that I had to stand up?!
ROFL! That's so funny. I suppose it's better than "wow, look at your ***, it's not as huge any more!"

How many pounds did you say you've lost to get to the point that people noticed? I noticed a difference in my friend at 6 pounds, yet another friend lost something like 20 and I didn't notice a thing. Weird huh?

I'm so thrilled with weight loss attention, that I'm actually afraid of how I'll feel when the comments stop, when I've reached my goal and I'm maintaining.

My uniform hides my figure quite well, so the weight loss is harder to see, but they do comment from time to time. It surprises me, actually, because in the last year, since I started working there, I've only lost 20 pounds. Maybe it's easier to see at a certain point? When you're really big or really small, maybe the losses aren't as obvious, but I'm in that window? I'm really surprised that I've only lost 20 pounds since I've known these people, and I've been on a diet the entire time! It's usually around 5-6 pounds that I get another string of comments.

What's funny is, they've called me obsessed and have told me I don't need to lose more weight. Of course, they're all kind of big themselves, and not successfully losing anything. I remind them that I'm not even within what's considered normal BMI by medical standards, so I still have a ways to go. For being so obsessed, I seem to be the role model, though. For the second time this year, everyone is going on their diets to lose weight, and I'm no longer being called obsessed. LOL!

Last edited by twinieten; 07-11-2012 at 08:59 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/110

Height: 5'2"

Schucks I'm sure you are looking great! My husband and I are living 2,500 miles apart for about six months. I flew in to see him a couple of weeks ago and guess what he got from me. Honey are you losing weight? I can see it in your face! That is just where it shows the most on some people first. Don't get disappointed be proud. The comments will keep coming and most importanly you know you are looking great.
foe3643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #9  
I think I'm losing it!

Thanks guys. I'm always so self conscious, and you'd think that a 60lb loss would be obvious, but this has taught me that they're really not watching me as closely as I think they are. ha! And, maybe that's a good thing!

I've been seeing a counselor, and she reminded me of something I'd shared with her in a past session. When I was much younger, about a year out of college, I visited my college roommate and was proud that I had lost about 40lbs. When we got together, she asked me, "When is it going to start to show?" Ouch! So, I'll probably always be a little guarded whenever someone comments on my size. Guess that's just one of my "issues."

Last edited by AwShucks; 07-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #10  

Location: Boulder, CO- but moving back to NJ in less than one week!

S/C/G: 252/185/135

Height: 5'4"

I work from home and only have to go into the office about once every 4-6 weeks for meetings. When I went in back in July, I had a few people tell me they could "see it in my face" (I guess that's the only place losing 50 lbs showed? Wow, I must have had a *huge* face, LOL!)

But I did have to go in last week, and a co-worker I hadn't seen in about 4 months saw me and was very exuberant about how wonderful I looked and how "skinny" I had gotten. I don't think anyone's ever called me skinny in my life! It made me feel pretty darned good, I must say.
xirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Many times people notice but are afraid to say something, just like the person who thought she might offend you and some will be wondering if you are losing because you are ill.All kinds of reasons they may not say anything. People who see us everyday are not as aware of our weight loss as someone who hasn't seen us for awhile. It helps too when we get new clothes in our new , smaller size that usually brings about remarks
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #12  

I lost some weight lately-- Yahoo
But it is also showing on face. Some of my friends think I should gain the weight back because my face dosen't look healthy at all!
chikittita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

People started to notice when I had lost about 20lbs. People were nice about. What I am struggling with is the people who don't say anything, but just rather obviously look me up and down and looks shocked...
MissD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #14  
ion
go go go!

Height: 5'2"

i don't know your work schedule, Shucks, but when people see you from day to day it's less noticeable that you're losing weight--because it does happen slowly and a gradual change is hard to perceive. people i worked with for months never said anything at all, but when i saw a friend or coworker that hadn't been around for a long time, they noticed.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #15  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

I really like this thread( I am new to this part of the forum). I lost 40lb before somebody at the school gates commented...she said"Have you lost a bit of weight?" A bit????? No I have started the rest of my life on planet healthy and lost quite a good ammount ACTUALLY!
Then she commented how she was trying to diet but it was too hard with working and three children.( I am unable to work at present due to mental health problems and only have 2 kids!!) Then I worked it out.....she was jealous. Often people's comments are more about themselves not about you.
Back to school next week and I have lost almost 70lb in total so it will be interesting what she says!!!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote