Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default How often should I weigh myself?

So a minute ago this thread was a "should i buy a scale" thread, found one for 9 bucks so I've decided to.

Now, how often should I weigh myself???

Last edited by DandelionCupcakes; 07-03-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Made my choice. lol. New question
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Some people will tell you to weigh once a week. Some say once a month. Me? I weigh every single day and even most nights. Because I want to know. I have to know. I absolutely need to know. Am I obsessed? Most definitely. Because I want to understand what makes me fluctuate, and I certainly want to know as early as possible when it goes down. So I say weigh yourself as much as will not make you discouraged, but weigh yourself often enough to know what's going on. Because I am more accountable if I weigh regularly. And for me that just happens to be every day.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/156/135

Height: 5'2"

depends on what works best for you. I know lots of people prefer the once a week thing because of normal fluctuations can be discouraging. I personally like to at least once a day. I do this because I like to know how certain foods affect me. I also find that if I am not weighing every day it is out of site out of mind....thats how I gained 20lbs back.

You just have to see which method works best for you. Good luck!
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I weigh daily because it keeps me accountable. Whether I'm up or down, i find myself encouraged by the number on the scale. When I avoid the scale, I tend to gain,.... and when that's just what happened when I gained 80 pounds and more recently, when I gained back 15 pounds of the weight I lost. I'm better off facing the scale daily. Of all the skinny people I know who work to maintain their weight, they also weight themselves daily.

However, if you find yourself discouraged rather than encouraged, then weigh yourself a couple of times a week, or once a week. You just have to find your comfort zone.

Last edited by twinieten; 07-03-2012 at 09:48 PM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Thank you
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #6  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I weigh once a week on the same day in the morning. I find if I weigh myself more than this I get obsessed and anxious (and sometimes depressed). There are also so many things that can make your weight fluctuate from day to day or even withing the same day. I just find that once a week works best for me.
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200+/168/130

Height: 5'2''

I'm weigh myself frequently. I use to weigh multiple times a day when I first started, it really helped me to see just how much your weight bounces around. It also helped me to see that I weigh the least first thing in the morning.

I only do an 'official' weigh in for myself on Monday mornings. If I hadn't watched my weight bouncing around throughout the day and did a weekly weigh in, I could see no change (or a really small change) and get discouraged, but now I know it's just how it goes.

But I didn't go into this being REALLY focused on seeing the number go down, I'm looking at it from a health angle, so it doesn't disturb me to see my 168 weigh bounce up to 170.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Another daily weigher here. Frequent weighing is one of the behaviours associated with long-term weight-loss maintenance in the National Weight Control Registry. (Which doesn't mean you can't lose or maintain if you weigh less frequently, of course -- it's just a statistical correlation.) Like many others, I find that daily weighing keeps me accountable and allows me to correct small gains before they become large ones.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Daily weighing is the best! It helps you understand everything your body does, ****, I usually weigh every time I happen to be in the bathroom just to see how things I did affect my weight. I've gotten pretty good at guessing what the weight will be before I step on, which helps me make better choices in my day to day life because I can say to myself "ok, if I this it will be salty and I will gain x weight in water weight and that means bloating which isn't cool".
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote