Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default Roller Skating?

Does anyone here roller skate or know how to buy a good pair of roller skates?
I used to skate when I was younger but I had my own skates most of the time (other than the first month or so when I learned to skate) then my parents bought me some basic skates from Kmart. I quit skating a few years later because by then my feet had outgrown those skates & we had moved away from the rink I liked to go. I just started going to a nearby rink by my house...but I am getting awful blisters & feel like the rental skates are making me fall down more than I should.
I don't know where to start buying new skates. I can buy them from the rink once they get a catalog. I prefer this to online because I can write them a check & not have to worry about paying online with a credit card. I just need some basic know-how on what kind of skates to choose-like brands. I don't know what brands are reliable ect. I don't need a "Cadillac" skate but I don't want a lemon either...
I don't know if it matters, but I skate at a roller rink. I am a female who weighs about 185 pounds. My previous pair of skates, when I was a kid, were high boot quad skates.

Last edited by Dagny18; 05-28-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #2  
August 2013 restart

S/C/G: 248/229/139

Height: 5'2"

Not sure how much help I'll be. I'm an inline skater. My previous pair to the ones I bought last year were ancient, neon blue, like 1st edition rollerblades. LOL

I ended up just googling like crazy and reading reviews of different skates to find what I thought would be best for me. There is a forum, the one that seems to be most active with both inline and quad skaters called the Skate Log Forum. Maybe do some digging over there and see what the quad skaters are saying and then hopefully your rink can get them for you. If not, lots of places to get them online.

Good luck and have fun!
DaugT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaugT View Post
Not sure how much help I'll be. I'm an inline skater. My previous pair to the ones I bought last year were ancient, neon blue, like 1st edition rollerblades. LOL

I ended up just googling like crazy and reading reviews of different skates to find what I thought would be best for me. There is a forum, the one that seems to be most active with both inline and quad skaters called the Skate Log Forum. Maybe do some digging over there and see what the quad skaters are saying and then hopefully your rink can get them for you. If not, lots of places to get them online.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks! Yes, I did alot of digging on Google and had found that skate log forum you mentioned, but when I tried to sign up it said that the administrator won't let any new members in or something?
Otherwise, I guess I could just "lurk" and read what others are saying they are buying there.
I'm also on Sparkpeople and found a Roller Derby Girl Sparkpeople team I joined and asked about what kind of skates to buy. I explained I wasn't a roller derby girl, that I am just a new skater...but instead of answering my question they want to find me a roller derby team in my area.
Which...maybe down the road I "might" want to get into something like that, but right now that is not what I really want to do yet. I would think that I should get better at skating first before I do something like that-and maybe find some decent skates that don't kill my feet!!
Other than that...though I think I would lean more towards what I see as "speed skating" which I don't know so much about it but it looks less "contact" and it looks like something I could go more at my own pace.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

I haven't skated in years, but I think I remember Riedell being one of the more popular, high quality brands. Overall though, I think almost anything would feel better than the rental skates.

I would really love to start skating again myself, and even have my skates in my closet still, but I don't imagine my toddler would cooperate enough with me to allow me to do it. Maybe once she gets a bit quicker at riding her bike, I can skate beside her...
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote