Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/219/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Abilify?

Hi All,
Been on Abilify for about 5 years now...started off on 15mgs, and when I changed doctors, my new doctor was horrified that I had been on what he considered a very high dose, so he moved me down to 5mgs. Felt fine psychologically on 5mgs, so that was okay. My weight gain coincidentally started 5 years ago as well. However, I also quit using and abusing certain substances 5 years ago, too. So...Abilify + abstinence = weight gain? Possibly.
NOW, my question is: 2 weeks ago I hit the wall with me weight and made some significant dietary changes. I started eating less and am making much better choices--a big improvement over what I had been doing. I finally stepped on the scale today because I suspected that I hadn't lost an ounce--and I was right. Nothing, no change, despite not eating nearly as much or as poorly as usual. Could the Abilify be preventing me from actually losing any weight?
Anyone else have any weight-related problems with Abilify? My GP is pretty much certain it's the Abilify that caused me to gain...but could it also prevent me from losing, too?
Your input would be appreciated, thanks!
GreytGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/125

Height: 5 foot 3 with shoes on

Default Abilify

I am replying to the Ablify & weight gain connection. I was on abilify for a good 9 months. Before Abilify I weighed 125 to 130 lbs. While taking abilify I gained 45 lbs. Most of the weight is in my stomach its huge looks like a could be pregnant. I have not taken Abilify in 2 months. I have been dieting exercising but have not lost any weight. I am convinced this drug causes major weight gain. I want to know when will my hard work show on the scale! My confidence has gone out the window. People I have not seen in a while can not believe how big I am now. Anybody else taken Abilify and had major weight gain? If so how long did it take to lose the weight gained?
gg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #3  
Getting there

S/C/G: 206/134/125

Height: 5'5"

I took Abilify for YEARS. I don't even know how many. It caused me major weight gain, I'm talking 50+ lbs, and I tried everything to lose weight on it. Finally I got fed up with my weight because that alone was making me so completely miserable, and I quit taking it. I lost 30 lbs within three months after I stopped Abilify. Definitely not a coincidence because my diet didn't change. So I think yes, Abilify absolutely makes losing weight nearly impossible. I know it's a very frustrating situation and I'm so sorry you've had to go through it.
I would look into trying something else if at all possible. I didn't start any new medications right away, but about 8 months after I stopped Abilify I had a relapse (bipolar). I then started "Saphris" and it has helped me a lot. I've had no weight gain on it; I do think it makes losing weight a bit of a challenge, though not impossible like Abilify. With regular exercise and efforts eating better, I've been able to gradually lose weight.
I hope my input helps. Good luck & don't lose hope!
shredthecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/191/145

Height: 5'5''

I know this is an old thread, but isf new people like me arereading it maybe my post will help. I, too, gained significant weight witheth Abilify. But it lifted my depression like no other drug ever has! I gained 27 poundes in 6 months. When I realized I had ballooned to within 5 pounds of my delivery weight I stopped taking it. I have lost weight and inches with teh Ideal Protien diet after stopping Abilify, but it still makes me sad that I had to chose between managed depression and obesity. Good luck to all of you out there struggling. Keep looking for YOUR answers!
teresac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

I was on Abilify 30 mg for quite some time. I definitely noticed a connection between having difficulty losing weight and the Abilify, if anything, weight gain. I also tried Saphyris which helped my mood but I passed out on it so I was switched to Risperdal.

Good luck!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #6  
Aini Clive

Height: 5ft2in

I never take medicine for weight loss. just take care in eating what you saw don't eat just healthy fresh and vegetables abd fruits Do light excercise and be a queen.
ainiclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:19 AM   #7  

Default Getting off Abilify

Hi everyone, Thanks for your answers. I am currently working on getting off of Abilify. I take it for anxiety and depression along with Fluoxotine. I was on only 1mg a day. Anything more than that made me groggy. It seemed to help me for the 2 plus years I have been taking it but it has made me gain at least 15 pounds on top of weight I had already gained from prozac. I have a great psychiatrist and she believes in trying to use supplements, exercise and diet to prevent having to take more medications. She suggested I stop drinking coffee and caffeinated sodas so that I could slowly get off Abilify and has suggested a slow withdrawal period from the Abilify. I had tried exercise and diet and it had not helped me like when I had been off Abiify in the past. I am now down to 1 mg every 4 days and hope to be completely off soon. I have been dieting and exercising but have not lost any weight yet. I hope that it will be easier when I get completely off Abilify and hopefully I will feel o.k. being off Abilify. So feel mentally pretty good so far during the withdrawal and I hope to stay that way when it is completely out of my system. I will keep working on diet and exercise and will write back when I am completely off of Abilify and let you know how it is going.
StPauliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

My niece takes Abilify for schizophrenia and has gained about 60 lbs since she started. We all think it's well worth it, a miracle drug that has taken her from a waking nightmare to a happy, normal life. Mental health is so much more important than a number on a scale.
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 AM   #9  

Interesting post. I have been on Abilify for 2 years at 5mg. I managed to lose 50 pounds on it BUT have gained some of that weight back so it could well be related to the Abilify. To lose weight I took herbal pills and didn't eat much at all really, not the most healthy way to lose weight I know. I am wanting to come off abilify but am a bit scared to do so as I don't want a repeat psychiatric episode! I am on it as a mood stabiliser. I have put on a lot of weight, especially my stomach, makes me look like I'm expecting twins! Oh well, back on the wagon I go.
sammy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 AM   #10  

Hello,

Ive been reading your guys posts and I was just wondering how long it took you once you got off ability to lose weight? Like what was the timeline of the whole experience? I am currently FREAKING out because I have gained 60 pounds on a combo of abilify and zoloft despite a very healthy diet and 5-6 days a week of HIIT and strength training. I feel so completely hopeless that I will never get my body back because Ive been off zoloft for 3 months and have only lost 9 pounds. I would greatly appreciate a reply to this email I'm so desperate right now for some answers.

Thank you so so soooooo much ❤

Last edited by Soccerlover123; 11-16-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Soccerlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #11  
Keto Gym Rat

S/C/G: 151/126/118

I know this is a very old thread but I will chime in here. I weighed 120 for 25 years. I had a sudden onset of a mental illness and was started on AP's. I gained 15 pounds in 3 weeks! and then continued to gain until I had a total gain of 30 pounds. It is DEFINITELY the drugs! I have had my med lowered and I am now down to the lowest dose of Abilify (2mg) and I have lost 20 pounds. That isn't a coincidence. I started a keto diet and have lost 3.5 pounds in about 2 weeks. My Doc says I can go off the med if I want. I am seriously considering it. My Doc 100% agrees that these drugs cause metabolic issues and cause direct weight gain even if nothing else changes. I know that with my eating and exercise habits, my 'natural' weight (on my extremely small frame) is about 118-120. Abilify is actually supposed to be one of the milder AP's for weight gain but it still causes it.
midlife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I don't take Abilify but I googled it out of curiosity. Some people said it caused them to have cravings and increased appetite, but reading further I found that it DOES cause insulin resistance, and since insulin is the fat storage hormone, it causes weight gain, and that would happen without any dietary changes. I think there are other drugs that do the same thing. It's a shame, because you're taking the drug because you need it, so then you have to deal with weight gain on top of your original issues.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote