Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

Post Gluten Free,vegetarian And Weightloss

Hey Ladies,

So Ive Been Wondering Why I Feel Crappy After Eating Mock Meats Ever Since I Became A Vegetarian, I Have A Gluten Intolerence. Anyhow I Have Been Researching Gluten Free Mock Meats And No Company Makes Any Without Gluten! I Really Dont Want To Go Back To Eating Meat For Many Reasons But What Else Can I Use On My Sandwhich If Not Tofurky? Is Anyone Else A Vegetarian On A Gluten Free Diet? Does Anyone Know Of Any Brands That Have Mock Meats With Out Glutten In Them? Also I Really Enjoyed The Boca Crumbles Veggie Crumbles For My Pasta Sauce If Anyone Know Of A Good Substitue Please Let Me Know.

Thank You
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Can you try incorporating more veggies/beans/plain tofu into your diet instead of the mock meats? You can make veggie burgers, for example, with a variety of vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and gluten-free grains (like quinoa, millet, or amaranth) or eat a portobello burger.

To sub out "crumbles" have you tried reconstituted TVP? It works well in chilis, tacos, casseroles, tomato sauce etc. the way traditional crumbles do. You can also try lentil "meat"balls or spinach balls to go into your tomato sauce.

Some really good vegetarian sandwiches/wraps that I eat sometimes have eggs, cheese, tofu, peanut butter, or hummus with a variety of vegetables mixed in.

Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

Hey Munchy , yes afte finding out about tvp I went to whole foods last night and gave it a try in my gluten free pasta and I love it!

thank you ;-)
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #4  
Piseag beag boidheach

Height: 1.79

Being gluten-free is pretty hard already, but vegetarian tends to make it even more difficult, as, for some reason, food companies tend to put even more wheat in their veggie stuff (liked canned soups, grrrr).

Like munchy said, incorporating more beans, legumes and grains will be good. One food you can make is lentil and rice casserole, as the combination of the two of those will give you a good amount of iron to your body, and you can put many veggies to it to make it extra tasty (red pepper, onion, carrots, tomato, yummi, plus bay leaves to give it an even better taste). The advantage of this casserole is that if you use a whole bag of lentils (about 500 grs), you will have a big casserole that you can freeze, and even recycle into lentil and rice burgers (adding eggs and some guten free oats or breadcrumbs). Sadly, I don't have a recipe for it, as I just do it by memory, but something like 500 grs of lentils, 1 small onion, half a small red pepper, a couple tomatos, one or two carrots (depending on size), and a cup of rice work.

Another good vegetarian option that can be made gluten free is "fainá", which is a dish of Italian origin and very popular in Argentina and my country (Uruguay; we love having it in top of pizza). It's a sort of big, flat, chickpea flatbread. While all the pre made stuff and the stuff in restaurants it's not gluten free, there are some recipes you can get to make gluten free. I found this one on the internet:

http://http://southamericanfood.abou...od/r/Faina.htm

This same page has a section on South American beans recipes. I think one or two have beef (Feijoada and Tacu Tacu), but others are vegetarian or can be made vegetarian by substituting the bacon for oil (I think there is one like that, and two totally vegetarian):

http://southamericanfood.about.com/o...ansRecipes.htm

(be careful with the boullion cubes, as they tend to have hidden wheat).

There is also a pie we eat here that is called "pascualina", which is a spinach pie with eggs, and it's very tasty. The filling is gluten free (usually just onion, spinach/chard, spices and eggs), although the pastry is not, but gluten free pastry can be used

Hope this helps you in some way While I am totally wheat free and mostly gluten free (as barley doesn't actually affect me, at least in beer...which I rarely drink anyway), I am not a vegetarian (and I am from a very carnivorous country), so getting nutritious recipes to substitute meat is not easy (I actually was in a semi vegetarian diet for some 3 weeks this year and there was a moment I was almost insane at not having eaten meat in about a week).
Teacher2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I tend to make things like burritos with shredded zucchini and squash, garlic, cheese, and beans - a take on this recipe.

I don't buy mock meats anymore, because they're expensive and heavily processed. Tofu is so good when you marinate and sear or bake it until crispy, and I'm a huge advocate of using veggies/beans/natural foods.

I make my own soups all the time, and just freeze them in small 1-cup containers. Cheaper, healthier, and I have more control than in canned soups. Also, all of the scraps from your veggies can be frozen into larger bags until you have enough to make a broth. Peels from onions, carrots, the ends of asparagus, stalks of broccoli, etc, can all be used instead of disposed of. It's great!

I also freeze my veggie burgers when I make them. That way, I can just make a batch and pull out one when I want to eat it. You can similarly make an entire bag of beans and freeze them in "1 can" containers so they're ready to go when you are.

This website has a ton of ideas. Good luck!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #6  
Piseag beag boidheach

Height: 1.79

Serious Eats has a very nice vegetarian section, as well as a pretty complete gluten free one :3 (careful, some recipes in the vegetarian section include flour).

Vegetarian section: http://http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/gluten-free/

Simply Recipes has also very complete Vegetarian and gluten free sections as well: http://http://simplyrecipes.com/
Teacher2B is offline   Reply With Quote