Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.2/242.2/190

Height: 6'

Default Just started!

Hello! I am new to the boards and new to Atkins. I just started today - so it's only been a few hours. A couple of years ago I was successful on Weight Watchers but lost momentum and got frustrated when my weight loss plateaued. I hope that Atkins will work better in this respect. I have heard good things about it.

I was surprised to find that the Atkins carb counter and so much literature is available online - I haven't yet read any books. Do you all think I should bother?

The concept of Atkins makes sense to me, and I figure it can't be any harder than counting weight watchers points. I am just so irrationally afraid of being hungry, though. Even for a few minutes. I hate it. Does anyone have some induction friendly snack ideas besides cheese and meat? I love vegetables, and am looking for some ways to carry snack portions around with me.

Thanks!
Stella
stellamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hello Stella &

To answer your question, yes you should absolutely read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions. There is invaluable information on exactly how and why this plan works.
For some of the best Atkins friendly recipes on the web, go to
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
The recipes marked with a * are Induction appropriate.
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #3  

Thank you! I appreciate the links.

I already miss fruit.

Yesterday was hard. I was really tired by the end of the day and I had to pee every 20 minutes. But this morning I weighed myself and I was down half a pound! Water weight, but I was impressed that it actually happened as the literature said it would! That's very encouraging.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

When done correctly Atkins works. Unfortunately, people attempt to do Atkins based on what they've heard, which is often totally incorrect information. Atkins is not the all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet most people think it is. The basis of Atkins (again, when done correctly) is to eliminate sugar & bad carbs and to concentrate on plenty of veggies & salads as well as protein & good fats.
The important thing when it comes to any eating plan, be it Atkins or anything else, is to do your research. Most importantly, make sure whatever plan you choose is a plan you are willing to make a lifestyle for the rest of your life.
I will be celebrating 8 years on Atkins next week When worked correctly, it works!
All the best to you!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #5  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

The first week or two of Atkins is hard, because you have to adjust to a different woe, but after the 2nd week, you won't have the cravings. After a while, you can start introducing fruit slowly, according to the carbs. I reintroduced blue berries this week. Strawberries come next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamer View Post
Thank you! I appreciate the links.

I already miss fruit.

Yesterday was hard. I was really tired by the end of the day and I had to pee every 20 minutes. But this morning I weighed myself and I was down half a pound! Water weight, but I was impressed that it actually happened as the literature said it would! That's very encouraging.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

Jersey is right do your research. It does get easier and I found after going into the second week of induction I didn't have any cravings and wasn't hungry..

Good luck and you can do it..
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone! Yesterday was a lot easier. I am encouraged!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

Good Stellamer just stick to it..
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote