View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
kaplods

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Low-blood sugar or a sudden drop in blood sugar could be to blame. I also crash dieted much of my life and I even passed out several times (and often felt like it). I didn't realize at the time, but now I know that those feelings (for me) were probably a result of low-blood sugar.

Headaches, irritability, light headedness, dizziness, nausea, and feeling like or actually passing out are all possible symptoms of hypoglycemia ( low-blood sugar).

Spreading out your daily calories can help. You may find that there are symptoms that appear before feeling faint. For example, for me, irritability is the first symtom (although hubby usually notices it before I do). If I don't eat something at the irritability stage, I'll often get a headache and the irritiability gets much worse before I get light headed. Then I get a little nauseous and light headed. Now that I know the cycle, I'm able to break it at a much earlier stage.

If I wait until I feel like I'm going to faint, I get panicky and want to fix it ASAP which means sugar. Sugar fixes the problem quickest, but it also makes the problem worse in the long run. So if I "catch it" early I can eat a bit of protein or fat (such as peanut butter, or a piece of cheese).

Whether or not this helps, you still will want to see a doctor, because feeling faitnt or fainting and blood sugar issues alone or together can be a sign of other health problems, so you really should see a doctor and ask for a "full metabolic panel" including not only a blood sugar test, but also an A1C test (which reflects blood sugar levels over a longer period of time) and a glucose-tolerance test (to check for diabetes or insulin resistance), and thyroid testing as well.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods; 05-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote