Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/145/125

Height: 5'6.5

Default Exercise and Hypoglycemia: Driving me crazy!

Hi!

I'm not sure if there are any type 1's on this forum, but if so I have a major problem with going low!

First some background info: Diagnosed 3/3/2003 at age 9. Using a OneTouch ping pump and novo rapid. I test 8+ times a day and usually have good control. However, I find it impossible to really lose weight for one reason: going low!
I've tried countless times over the last few years to tone down and lose weight, but I find that whenever I start to make changes that would actually have an affect on my body, I have to throw them out the window in the middle of the night when I go very low and need juice boxes and granola bars. I've tried adjusting my basal rates, but it seems no matter how low I set them, or whatever -50% temporary basal I use, I still go low. It's frustrating: all I want to do is lose weight, but not at the expense of my health!
Does anyone have experience with this? I don't actually know any diabetics in real life, and while my doctor is great, I would love someone's first hand experience, or at least someone to share my frustration!
livb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Since no one has answered you, I will jump in. I think most of us here are type 2, and I wonder if there is a type 1 group on the internet in general, especially those of you who use pumps. I think a good diabetes educator who is familiar with your pump and pumps in general could give you good advice and help you more than anyone else. Good luck to you, and good health.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi livb, I am what you'd consider type 1.5 ... I take insulin 1x a day. My pancreas doesn't produce enough good insulin to maintain good numbers on my own. I've struggled with diets since my diagnosis as well. It's been pretty frustrating, watching friends drop weight quickly and easily by merely cutting out carbs and stuff. I would literally die if I tried what they do.

I have come to see that my journey is a slower one than others and that is ok. I try to eat 1500 calories a day, while my body burns about 2000 daily, not counting if I were to workout. So have been losing 1/2 - 1 lb a week. The only time I woke up with extreme lows was when I did weight training, so I only do that if I eat extra brown carbs for the next couple of meals. I also eat a healthy snack 3 hrs after a meal. Low fat string cheese and an apple, sugar free pudding with PB2, or cut up peppers and salsa with a few almonds. An orange and a slice of low fat turkey lunch eat. Like you, I became so frustrated before. Tried to ignore it, but you can't ignore it when u rip your pants! Keeping a food diary has helped me tremendously. Keeps me accountable. I eat very well!
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

I am a Type 1 with the same problem. It has taken me over 6 months just to lose 14 pounds. It is very frustrating. If I am lower than 170 before I workout I will end up with a bs reading of 60-70. I know being 170 isn't good, but neither is 60 or 70. Hopefully some one has some input on this.
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm IR (prediabetic) so not experienced as a Type I.

Just wanted to give you a support because I know weight loss is hard when one has extra issues.

Does your doc have support group fliers in the office? Mine does. So maybe call them and see where the local type 1's are hanging out?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #6  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

I am type 1 and I had to change the way I saw diets so I wouldnt get low. By eating more proteins and goo fat, I stopped crashing after the gym (I go once a day for an hour. I do weight training 3 times a week the rest is cardio). I loose about 10 pounds in 6-8 weeks.
I do not eat any sugar except natural sugar frm fruits, maple syrup and honey in very limited quantity. I follow the mediteranean diet.

I know for me I eat nuts everyday. Good protein, good fat. if I dont eat them I crash.

A lot of people think carbs and sugar is what will avoid crashes but they are totally wrong. Il try to find the book I read about it maybe it will help you?

Last edited by Zofia; 03-02-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

Zofia if you find the name of the book you're talking about I would love to read it.
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Zofia, I appreciate the feedback! You're right protein has to be a part of it, thanks and good luck in your journey too!
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #9  

Not sure if the original poster is still looking for answers, but this article is a great one.
http://www.powerbar.com/articles/372...-diabetes.aspx
and here is part 2 of that article
http://www.powerbar.com/articles/376...-diabetes.aspx

I have 2 sons with type 1, teenagers that both play sports. Football is the most strenuous and we use a lot of these techniques. As for the night lows, I watch them like a hawk on nights they have had a strenuous workout. Sometimes the lows come 8-10 hours later! Keep trying to reduce your basals and make notes for the next time.
I had a lightbulb moment a few years ago when I read another article about changing basal rates before practice and games. For my youngest son especially we always lower the basals 1.5-2 hours prior to practice so the lowered amount is what is active when he is actually in practice. So we temp about 75% for 2 hours or however long practice is going to be, so that insulin is active is when he is in practice. This works so much better than trying to carb load or eat when already low. You have to play around with what rate works for you by logging how much and what you did and your results.
Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by jomatho; 03-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote