Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #1  

Default Coming back from a long illness

Hello this is my first post on these boards.

I've been recovering from illness for 3 months. I was hospitalized in October and then on top of that got the flu and colds a couple of times because my immune system was weak.

I had to hire someone to help me with housework because I wasn't capable of doing it.

Now I'm ready to get back into things. I started doing light exercise a few weeks ago and this week I took over my housework.

WOW was I in for a shock at how weak I've really become. After a day of laundry and cleaning chores I felt like I had worked out for hours. I've been doing housework daily for about 5 days now and my muscles are sore but getting stronger.

So now I'm not sure how to proceed. The regular daily chores feel like a workout, so I'm not sure what to do about my "real" workouts. If I try to add cardio or weights on top of this I think I won't have the energy to keep up. I homeschool two small kids so I also need my energy for them.

Should I just consider housework my exercise until I get stronger or lay off doing so much of it on a few days and keep the weights and cardio going? I'm 50 pounds overweight and I really feel the extra weight now. It's just a job to go up and down on stepstools or from the floor.

Last edited by Sandsurfgirl; 01-22-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding info
Sandsurfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I think your answer is in the question ... ya, you have really answered your own post. What did your doctor suggest for you? You may as well just continue going slow until you have all your energy back. Since WL is mainly 80% your food intake, and only 20% physical activity -- that would be OK for now. If you are concerned about a relapse, ask your doctor about his/her advice ...

BTW, to the site ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #3  

My doctors really don't have much advice. None of them are fit or in shape. They just say do exercise to "tolerance" whatever that means.

Today I took a walk with my kids and dog for about half and hour and I did quite a bit of cleaning and it wore me out but not as bad as it did a week ago.

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I agree: the housework and walks with the kids are fine for now, and as you develop "tolerance" you can work it up. Any exercise program would suggest you don't go beyond where you are "winded", so don't. If you get worn out by what you are doing, just build up gradually. I think the walk is an important addition, will be sustained exercise that gets your heart rate up a bit. If you can keep that in, you will be able to notice when you are ready for more. HOpe you keep feeling better!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/196/160

Height: 5'8''

I'm new here and going through exactly the same thing, same time frame! I'm about 60 pounds overweight. The doctors want me to lose but they also haven't been specific about physical activity, probably because it just depends on the person. I really suggest you take it easy and listen to your body... If you can't take it, don't push yourself too much. Do what you can stand and focus more on diet for the time-being. That's what I'm doing. You really need to recover completely before you go crazy with the exercise!

I don't know if your situation is similar to mine, but the illness actually explained my lack of energy and ongoing pain for the past few years. When I am 100% I should be able to lose the weight rather quickly if I follow a plan (haha- big IF). Be patient and it will all work out. Good luck and I hope you recover quickly.
uselessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessknowledge View Post
I'm new here and going through exactly the same thing, same time frame! I'm about 60 pounds overweight. The doctors want me to lose but they also haven't been specific about physical activity, probably because it just depends on the person. I really suggest you take it easy and listen to your body... If you can't take it, don't push yourself too much. Do what you can stand and focus more on diet for the time-being. That's what I'm doing. You really need to recover completely before you go crazy with the exercise!

I don't know if your situation is similar to mine, but the illness actually explained my lack of energy and ongoing pain for the past few years. When I am 100% I should be able to lose the weight rather quickly if I follow a plan (haha- big IF). Be patient and it will all work out. Good luck and I hope you recover quickly.
Mine was pretty sudden. My adrenals just didn't work right all of a sudden. The medicine I"m on is working, so now it's a matter of getting my strength back and losing the weight.

I've been on a very healthy diet for about 3 months now. I'm not really losing weight though because I think I'm still eating too many calories.

I've been doing more and more and it's hard during this initial phase. I'm sore and tired from exercise a lot. It's important to push past this tough stage. I think of those people on the Biggest Loser and how sore and tired they must be the first month or so. If they can do it, I can do it!

I hope you recover quickly too. I read Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels and I've implemented most of what she suggests. She talks about how chemicals in our environment impact our endocrine system and we need to lower our toxic load. I got rid of all my chemical cleaners, installed a very good water filter on my kitchen sink and shower and started buying organic about 3 weeks ago. I can feel the difference for sure.