Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Default Cooking with Cast Iron?

I received 3 beautiful cast iron skillets, in varying sizes, for Christmas this year. They are used, my dad seasoned them for me but is there a way to tell if they need to be seasoned more before they are used? I have never cooked in cast iron and was wondering if anyone had some tips or could tell me the best things to cook in them.

Thanks!
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If they are already seasoned no need to season them again. I like to cook meat in mine, hamburger for instance and not for diets but a steak fried in a cast iron skillet is out of this world. Once a cast iron skillet is hot it is HOT you might need to turn the heat down a bit until you get used to it. Try a hamburger patty . I don't add any oil, maybe sprinkle a little salt in the cold pan , and add the raw hamburger, turn heat on and fry away.. If you can't trust not using oil, use a very tiny bit.Once you get used to your cast iron skillet you will like it. I have never done this but often corn bread is baked in a cast iron skillet. Yes you can put it in the oven. Good luck!

Last edited by bargoo; 01-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to just start experimenting! I saw a recipe on the cover of a magazine for mac and cheese cooked in cast iron, it looked delicious but probably not very diet friendly
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

check out Lodge on-line...they make iron skillets and have good information available. I use iron skillets and pots...love them!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #5  

I love my cast iron pots & pans, and I'll never buy anything else. If you get the pans hot enough, you don't have to use very much oil at all. I make an oven-fried chicken in one of my cast iron skillets, and it's delicious. (Remove the chicken skin, dip chicken in milk, dredge in a mix of bread crumbs, flour, cornmeal & any spices you like. Heat up the skillet for about 7-10 minutes in the oven (450-475 deg), put a couple of tablespoons of oil in the skillet, let it heat up a minute or two more, and then put in the chicken. It will sizzle when you put it in the pan. Spray with oil. Cook for about 20-25 minutes per side. When you flip it, use a spatula to be sure you don't leave the crust on the bottom of the pan).

Last edited by lin43; 01-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #6  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I use cast iron frying pans for everything. They are the only kind of frying pan I use and I also have 3 different sizes. A cast iron pan can become unseasoned if it is scrubbed. When you finish cooking wipe out the pan in soapy water but do not scrub. If anything is stuck to the pan just soak it awhile in water and then wash it. Dry it very well and you can wipe a little oil around on a paper towel. Then wipe it again with a new towel to remove any excess oil. If it becomes unseasoned you'll know because food will start to stick. To reseason clean it well, lightly rub oil all over the cooking surface and place it in an oven for several hours. You don't need the heat too high maybe around 250-300 degrees.

As Bargoo mentioned the pan will get very hot so you will have to learn to adjust the heat compared to a non-stick pan. I also use pan spray very successfully with the cast iron.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I only have a small cast iron frying pan, and it's the only pan I'll scramble eggs in. Supposedly a little bit of iron infuses into your food when you cook in cast iron. I also like to cook a steak or tuna steak in it when it's too cold out to fire up the grill.

I clean mine with a metal brush and hot water - don't use soap, or you'll have to reseason it.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote