Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/196/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Daniel Fast

Hello everyone,

My church began the Daniel Fast last Sunday. Tomorrow I approach the end of my first full week of this 21 day fast. It has been a much more pleasant experience than I initially anticipated.

Is anyone else participating in the Daniel Fast with your church? If so, have you found any good recipes that work with the fast?
karybeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

My Doctor has recommended that my husband get a book called The China Study diet, have any of you tried it? I think it is mostly vegetables ,have not got the book yet going to order it tomorrow or if they have it in town pick one up. The doctor said he tried it himself and he lost on it. Hubbie said we tried everything else lets try that.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I hadn't heard of it. I googled it, did you do the one with only vegetables, fruit and water- and no bread or sweeteners? What benefits did you see from doing the fast?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/196/150

Height: 5'4"

Default daniel fast

Hi,

I am doing the Daniel Fast that focuses on fruit, vegatables, whole grains, beans, and water. I am allowing myself fish in order to get an appropriate amount of protein since I am not a huge bean fan.

I've found a lot of benefits. Part of the fast includes creating specific times for daily bible study and prayer. I feel like my prayer life has really increased. As far as weight loss I am on day 11 of the 21 day fast and I have lost 8 lbs so far.
karybeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #5  

I have a book called The Daniel Fast, but I haven't read it yet. The Daniel Fast is a vegan based eating plan. I need to avoid both gluten and dairy so I'm thinking it would be good for me.
tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Not ready for this yet!

Height: 5'11"

I never understood why they call it a "Daniel Diet"....wasn't the whole purpose of Daniel's story to show that he would NOT lose any weight or get emaciated, even though he refused to eat the king's meat??? lol
Thalstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

THALSTEAD ~ yes, you are correct in what you are saying. I just mentioned that fact on another thread when someone suggested we follow that so-called "diet" or "fast" to lose weight. Daniel and his friends were "FATTER" than the boys who also ate meat & drank wine.

Quote:
DANIEL 1:15 ~ "After 10 days, they were fairer and FATTER than the other children ..."
It never ceases to amaze me how people can take a short story, or a few verses from the bible and make a whole doctrine or book out of it; then sell it for all that $$$. Aren't they very clever & talented indeed?

BTW, ladies ~ if this book helps you in any way, then that's great -- I am just explaining that it was just a spiritual story, and not really about a special diet per se ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #8  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Just a different perspective. We studied Daniel last year in CBS. The commentary said that Daniel and his friends ate veggies and drank water instead of eating the rich fatty foods and drinking the wine presented at the King's Table, at the end of the '10 day test period' Daniel and his friends were healthier than those who ate the more traditional foods of the time.

The below taken from the NIV...

15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #9  
Rosebud

DANIEL 1:15 ~ "And at the end of 10 days, their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the King's meat.

Vs 1:16: says ~ "Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and wine that they should drink; and gave them PULSE ... (Pulse are Lentils; also Vs 1:12) from KJV; NKJV; AUTH/V; AM/STD; NRAS.

We are not debating scripture here; as there are only 3 verses that mentions the kind of food they ate: Pulse & water verses Meat & wine ... and, we ALL AGREE about that ...

The point being made was that indeed those on the vegetarian food were fatter than those who ate meat & wine. We are NOT really disagreeing you know, just mentioning the irony of the story. These ladies may go on a fast of Pulse/lentils & water to lose weight, when Daniel and the other children ate them to maintain their weight & health ...

Either way, everyone wins, I think ...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Did anyone see the news yesterday that Pastor Rick Warren of Saddleback Church is doing Daniel Fast (he subscribes to the NIV translation that they were healthier) and has his Church doing it too? I sort of thought that was neat.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #11  
Rosebud

DEE ~ yes, that is neat; and I have heard of other churches that recommend that fast to their parishioners too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-25-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158.8/158.8/128.8

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this board and due to a myriad of digestive issues that plague me daily, I am considering becoming vegan. I'm just getting started with my research and am very curious to know more about the "Daniel diet". I'm not intimidated by the fact that some versions of the bible translate to say they were "fatter". It didn't imply then what it does now. It simply meant that they were healthier and that is my goal. So if anyone has any info they can forward me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Christie.
outofideazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

I know this is an old post, just wondering if anyone is doing this at the moment. I just bought the book and wanted hear any success stories.

Thanks!
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

This is a really old post...but, I just started reading Rick Warren's book, The Daniel Plan on my kindle tonight and was wondering if anybody has read it, is doing the plan, has any thoughts on it. I do not think this plan is exactly the same thing as the Daniel fast or diet mentioned above; but I am still reading the first chapter of the book, so not 100% on that.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote