Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #1  
Cindy

S/C/G: 189/187/130

Height: 5'0

Default I need more protein HELP

I eat WAAAYYY to many carbs but I can't help it that's what I like. I will eat meat at dinner for protein but that's about it. I eat Smart Ones pasta everyday for lunch because it fast and easy. Don't get me wrong I like meat but I don't like any meat that is not fresh. If it's not fresh I won't eat it. Any ideas???? I do eat greek yogurt and I eat other foods that have some protein but I need something that has a lot of protein. I don't want to eat something that adds more calories just to get protein in, I need to replace something I already eat with protein but how????
Hopech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Egg whites add protein and are low in calories.

Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread is low in carb and high in protein, if you want to switch out any bread you normally eat. Very high in fiber too.

A serving of Kashi's GoLean cereal is supposed to have as much protein as an egg.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

What do you mean by "fresh" meat? Meat that hasn't been frozen? You can't get much fresher than buying raw chicken breast or beef, or do you just mean cooking it and eating it right then rather than cooking it the night before for lunch the next day?
There are other things to eat than pasta everyday, like salads, wraps, or sandwiches with meat in them, or you could make your own pasta the day before with chicken or or meat sauce and heat it up at lunch.

What do you eat for breakfast? Carbs are bad at breakfast and I don't know why cereal and poptarts even exist. I'm not allowed to have more than 4 grams of carbs for breakfast and I hate eggs, and I don't like any of the other breakfast proteins likes sausage or bacon either. I've been drinking an atkins shake for breakfast every day instead. I've also had an atkins protein bar for breakfast. Occasionally I'll get ambitious and have chicken or some other meat for breakfast. Just because some meats aren't typical breakfast foods doesn't mean you can't have them for breakfast.

I love carbs too like you, but that doesn't mean you can't cut back on them. I think "IN love" with carbs is more appropriate for me. I used to bake fresh bread every other day, and I'd make cookies and other yummy things for my husband's office but I had to stop doing all that once I started dieting. I had to stop making pizza for dinner, I haven't had pasta since I started this diet two months ago, no rice, no potatoes, no chips or crackers. My doctor said once I reach my goal weight I'll be allowed to let some more carbs into my diet (I'm allowed 50-75g per day), and he said afterward it's more imperitive that I keep up on exercise to maintain a sensible weight than to have such a strict diet, but I know it'll be nothing like I was eating before. You can't expect to diet without sacrificing something, otherwise it wouldn't be a diet.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #4  
Trenna

S/C/G: 192/162/140

Height: 5'7

Whey protein shakes taste great and help get your protein in. You can buy it at GNC, Walmart, ect...
trennarene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/120/110

Black beans are very low in fat and are high in protein.

Try to stay away from too many peanuts and peanut butter. They're very high in fat. Try other nuts like almonds instead.

Soy milk is always good. It takes awhile to get used to the taste, however, so try putting it with cereal first until you get used to it.

Tofu, of course, is good and there are many ways you can fix it with your meals.

Also, there are soy products such as soy chicken nuggets and soy hamburgers. Those offer a good amount of protein, but it's not good to eat them all the time.
pattyhues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #6  
Cindy

Default Rapunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
What do you mean by "fresh" meat? Meat that hasn't been frozen? You can't get much fresher than buying raw chicken breast or beef, or do you just mean cooking it and eating it right then rather than cooking it the night before for lunch the next day?
There are other things to eat than pasta everyday, like salads, wraps, or sandwiches with meat in them, or you could make your own pasta the day before with chicken or or meat sauce and heat it up at lunch.

What do you eat for breakfast? Carbs are bad at breakfast and I don't know why cereal and poptarts even exist. I'm not allowed to have more than 4 grams of carbs for breakfast and I hate eggs, and I don't like any of the other breakfast proteins likes sausage or bacon either. I've been drinking an atkins shake for breakfast every day instead. I've also had an atkins protein bar for breakfast. Occasionally I'll get ambitious and have chicken or some other meat for breakfast. Just because some meats aren't typical breakfast foods doesn't mean you can't have them for breakfast.

I love carbs too like you, but that doesn't mean you can't cut back on them. I think "IN love" with carbs is more appropriate for me. I used to bake fresh bread every other day, and I'd make cookies and other yummy things for my husband's office but I had to stop doing all that once I started dieting. I had to stop making pizza for dinner, I haven't had pasta since I started this diet two months ago, no rice, no potatoes, no chips or crackers. My doctor said once I reach my goal weight I'll be allowed to let some more carbs into my diet (I'm allowed 50-75g per day), and he said afterward it's more imperitive that I keep up on exercise to maintain a sensible weight than to have such a strict diet, but I know it'll be nothing like I was eating before. You can't expect to diet without sacrificing something, otherwise it wouldn't be a diet.
What I mean by fresh meat is, I won't eat any left over meat or any frozen entrees with meat in them for example a Smart One with meat. For breakfast I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana the reason I eat this is because it seems to be the only thing that keeps me full I eat breakfast at 7:30 and I can't eat anything again until my lunch which is at about 12:30. I like the frozen pastas because the are quick and I don't have to prepare anything. I understand what you are saying about the diet and I have tried diets for years and they don't work so I am taking a new approach I am eating what I want and exercising everyday to burn more calories than I eat. I try to burn 1000 calories more than I eat a day and most days I can do that with no problem. Its only been 10 days but so far I am happy with this routine I'm not hungry I don't feel deprived of anything and I also find myself making better choices so that I don't have to spend extra time working that food off. I do however realize I eat way to many carbs and that will slow down my weight loss process and it's not healthy so I am trying to figure out a way to add more protein without and addtional calories to just add protein. What I mean by that is I thought maybe I should do a protein shake but that would be in addition to what I already eat so I would be adding more calories just to get protein. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #7  
Cindy

Default Trennarene

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennarene View Post
Whey protein shakes taste great and help get your protein in. You can buy it at GNC, Walmart, ect...
Can you recommend a good tasting one that's low in sugar and calories?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #8  
Cindy

Default pattyhues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyhues View Post
Black beans are very low in fat and are high in protein.

Try to stay away from too many peanuts and peanut butter. They're very high in fat. Try other nuts like almonds instead.

Soy milk is always good. It takes awhile to get used to the taste, however, so try putting it with cereal first until you get used to it.

Tofu, of course, is good and there are many ways you can fix it with your meals.

Also, there are soy products such as soy chicken nuggets and soy hamburgers. Those offer a good amount of protein, but it's not good to eat them all the time.
Thank you! How do you make your black beans? I need a good recipe.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #9  
Cindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Egg whites add protein and are low in calories.

Julian Bakery Smart Carb bread is low in carb and high in protein, if you want to switch out any bread you normally eat. Very high in fiber too.

A serving of Kashi's GoLean cereal is supposed to have as much protein as an egg.

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #10  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

High protein foods I eat on a regular basis:

-Almonds as a snack(just handful)
-Eggs whites
-fat free cottage cheese
-greek yoghurt
-protein bar or shake
-lean meats (don't eat cold cuts)
-Tuna and other fish
-Chickpeas
-Black beans in a salad
-Raw Spinach (in a salad)
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

black beans are my favorite thing. My favorite way to have them that is pretty quick is 1/2 a can of black beans (or even better if you have dried ones that have been soaked overnight and cooked previously), with 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, and a bunch of sauteed spinach. I just throw all the ingredients in a small pot and warm it up.
I get my protein through a protein shake or for a snack I have turkey pepperoni and 1 oz cheese.
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #12  
Cindy

Default Elbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBS717 View Post
black beans are my favorite thing. My favorite way to have them that is pretty quick is 1/2 a can of black beans (or even better if you have dried ones that have been soaked overnight and cooked previously), with 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, and a bunch of sauteed spinach. I just throw all the ingredients in a small pot and warm it up.
I get my protein through a protein shake or for a snack I have turkey pepperoni and 1 oz cheese.
Thank you! I'm going to try your recipe and turkey pepperoni is a great idea!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/205/150

QUINOA! It has twice the protien then any other grain and super easy to make. It's a grain, small like rice, but takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. I cook mine in chicken brothe for flavor and a dash of salt. It can be found at any health food store, most grocery stores, some walmarts and i get mine in bulk at costco. It helps with the carb cravings and i don't feel as quilty. Good luck.
thefatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #14  
66 pounds by October 16!

S/C/G: 206/135.6/140

Height: 5'6"

Great sources of protein are:
Beans, lowfat dairy, hardboiled eggs, hummus, lunchmeat (on whole wheat tortillas or pita), protein shakes (With low/no sugar and low calories--fortified is even better--I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast). Make sure all the meats are lean and all proteins are in proper portions.

Side Note**
Your first sentence "I eat WAAAYYY to many carbs but I can't help it that's what I like" made me cringe a little. You CAN help it. Do you like carbs more than feeling full and reaching your goal?
Energizer Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

If you're looking for a protein shake, I really like Nature's Plus Energy. It's unsweetened - you add your own fruit or sweetener, and mix it with whatever liquid you like. You can find it at health food stores, and I think the Vitamin Shoppe carries it, too. I'm not drinking it right now because I'm doing Medifast, but I had it almost every morning for over 10 years. I made it with milk, instant coffee and splenda most of the time. It was also yummy made in a blender with spinach and frozen blueberries.

You can make lots of cold salads with canned beans, too. My favorite is chick peas, marinated artichoke hearts, onion flakes, parsley, garlic, black pepper, EVOO and lemon juice. Now that I think about it, I wonder how it would be with plain greek yogurt instead of oil.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote