Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #1  
Neytiri Wannabe

Height: 5'0"

Default Injured Chicks Exercise Support Group?

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there in this forum who has difficulty with exercise due to an injury. Maybe we could band together and support each other in whatever exercise we're able to do.

I have back and neck injuries from a car accident. I am only now, after five years, able to lift about half the weights I was lifting before the accident. And cardio is even more challenging because most forms of cardio hurt my back if I'm not careful. So, I walk slowly and am slowly trying to add minutes on a recumbent bike.

Sometimes it feels like three steps forward, two-and-a-half back, but I'm not giving up.

What about you? What's your story?

Last edited by PixieChix; 01-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
PixieChix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi PixieChix. I'm 46 and have degenerative disc disease in my neck (with finger numbness in my left hand) and probably in my lower spine too (just not diagnosed yet).
For about a year, I have only done the exercises given to me by my physical therapist, and a few light dumbbell exercises. I decided this year that I need to be more active, so I've started doing a Leslie Sansone walking dvd for my cardio. I have been feeling better lately, so that's a good thing!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #3  
Neytiri Wannabe

ddc, it's fantastic that you have been walking. I do a lot of physical therapy (PT) exercises, too. Sometimes it seems like all I do is PT. But, it does help keep my abs strong if nothing else! I'm trying to add some walking to my routine, too; I just have to be careful not to walk too fast.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #4  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm so glad I searched. Yes, I think we need a support group too!

I am 33 with DDD in my lower back (L4, L5 & S1) with radiculopathy.
I hurt every day! I know someone who also has this (she isn't overweight) who runs half marathons. She is an inspiration...if I keep up the hard work then maybe one day I can do one too. I want to do a 5k, but my work schedule and kid schedule prevent that from happening. (6 kids - blended family). Right now I'm still rebuilding my core with the exercises I learned at physical therapy. I weighed 202 at my wedding in May...now I'm back up above 230.

230 seems to be my "go to" number when I gain.

I want to lose this weight, be healthy and KEEP IT OFF!!!
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #5  
Neytiri Wannabe

Welcome! Yes, physical therapy exercises are our friends, right? It's PT, PT and more PT.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #6  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I will have to admit that I don't do it often enough, but I am trying. I guess it's like the saying goes...I'm making laps around those sitting on the couch.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #7  
Neytiri Wannabe

Oooh. I like that. I've never heard that before. I compare myself to the tortoise and the hare. (I am, of course, the tortoise.) But the tortoise does eventually cross the finish line, thank you very much.