View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
jiffypop
Old Cackler

sorry to have taken so long to answer [i was helping a woman driving a jeep!].

this was an interesting question, and i have asked a couple of longer-term post ops. there are LOTS of issues here. first, we know so much more these days about aftercare, the extra vitamin/mineral requirements, the lifelong monitoring that has to happen that it's not reasonable to compare outcomes from someone who had the surgery 20 years ago with someone who's having it today.

there's also the issue of how well the person takes care of himself/herself. i know of a woman who is permanently in a wheelchair, at the age of 27, because she refused to take her vitamins after the surgery. it only took a year.

another thing to consider is what these people died from. a truck? lung cancer? a heart attack? or something actually RELATED to the surgery? unfortunately, there are always diseases/conditions that go along with obesity that's severe enough to warrant the surgery: diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, are the biggest ones. losing the weight OFTEN helps with these conditions, but as time goes on, they can return.

also, just getting the surgery is no guarantee that the weiight won't come back without vigilance. so, maybe some of these folks regained their weight.

having said all this, one of my friends knows a woman who had the surgery more than 25 years ago, and is doing just fine. i met someone who had it 15 years ago and is doing well.

there's no real answer. but bottom line: where will you be in 10 years without the surgery? when i had it, i was so ill that i probably would have been dead within a couple of years. even if i now have only 20 years to live, that's 10 times longer than i had!

hang out with us!!! ask questions.. this is a major big step and deserves the most careful research so that you can make the right decision for YOU, no matter what it is....

start: 506 [Sept 2001]
weight at gastric bypass [Jan 29, 2002]: 409
current weight: 225
weight for plastic surgery: 200
final goal: 180

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not medical advice. See your physician before taking advice found on the internet.