General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

Default biggest loser show

Sooo nothing else was on tv so i put on the biggest loser and im amazed. the trainers were forcing people to go far pass what they could handle but thats not what really got me, a lot of trainers do that, but isn't it better to work up to that level of intensity? anyways i also saw one guy get injured in his leg and the trainer dude told him to keep going. im a dancer and when i injured my knee my doctor told me not to even go to the store til it healed or else id risk having to get surgury to repair my knee. than the trainer dude was complaining that ppl were asking for water, wtf! doesn't he know about dehydration. his only goal seemed not to be helping his clients but instead beating the other trainer. than during the weigh in the other trainer was like you only lost 13lbs this weel thats not much for a man your size. 13lbs is a lot for a man of any size! anyone else find this show ridiculous??? i know its tv but the ppl are real. they all end up looking like sharpeis
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Go down the forum, just under exercise there are Biggest Loser Threads that may interest you.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Ticker.

I honestly don't watch TV for that reason alone. Too many ridiculous shows.
I read somewhere that the show was made up. Not only do that give incorrect data, they also only show what would get ratings.
MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #4  

i checked out that forum but it seems to be mostly fans of the show with a lot trying or hoping to get similar results as on the show, just a quick impression

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 01-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlaine09 View Post
i checked out that forum but it seems to be mostly fans of the show with a lot trying or hoping to get similar results as on the show, just a quick impression

any mod feel free to move this to that forum if necessary

I would agree. In fact, it's why I don't go into "The Bigger Loser" threads any more, because I find that criticisms of the show aren't welcome.

Every year the show gets more extreme. I stopped watching at least three seasons ago for that reason. Even so I've heard enough random snatches of conversation to confirm my concerns that the show gets more and more dangerous every year, and I don't think the producers will stop until someone actually gets severely hurt or killed. Even that may not stop them, if their profits and viewership doesn't suffer.

I think it won't be long before "Running Man" isn't science fiction any more.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #6  

i felt so bad for the guy that lost 13lbs and was basically shunned. the contestants seem to shake when they are waiting for their new weight its like they are afraid to be shunned and disapoint everyone by only losing 10lbs or 15lbs

i think the biggest loser section isnt really for discussion of controversies , more like a fan forum, so this thread might be more appropriate here where ppl can actually discuss it without fear of rampant fan attack lol

Last edited by CherryQuinn; 01-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Ticker.

Is that 13 lbs in a week?! I assume the show airs weekly?
MissGuided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #8  

yes 13lbs a week
Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #9  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I think it won't be long before "Running Man" isn't science fiction any more.
Still one of my favorite novellas; and that's a terrifying thought.

I watched BL for the first time last season, and while I enjoyed aspects of it (I'm a sap and could really identify with the sentiments of some of the contestants, and so the emotional side gets to me), there were also some things about it that really bothered and shocked me. The exercise seems so extreme. Working your body so hard that you have to sit in a vat of ice water afterwards can't possibly be safe for people other than professional athletes/others approaching that fitness level.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #10  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

The problem I have with TBL is that not only is it unrealistic for us normal folks, but it's also nearly unmaintainable. Losing that much weight that fast does harm to your body just as gaining that much that fast can. Plus, the stress levels that these people endure are dangerous. The show does it for theatrics and ratings. I wish it would be more realistic.

What disappoints me is that most of the contestants are unable to maintain their weight loss after they leave. Most of the contestants gain back a portion of the weight they lost on the show. Some people gained it all back.

The best weight loss is slow and sure and I wish the show reiterated that.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #11  

Like you, I am not a believer in the show but I do have something positive to say, in a way. They do push the contestants too hard and the weight loss is unrealistic, however one thing it did show me is that I could do more. A case in point is jumping. I was seriously worried that, if I jumped, I would injure my knees and ankles so I would avoid it while doing my dance-mat exercises even though the program called for it. I plucked up the courage after watching a season of The Biggest Loser and started to do the little dance jumps. Nothing broke =)

I still do not run on the treadmill but working up to that.

In my forties I decided I was fat ... I wasn't but my self image was at an all time low courtesy of an abusive partner. I went into a nutritional and exercise purgatory aka milkshakes and serious treadmill abuse. I lost at least a pound day, and was devastated if the scales did not show that 7lb loss per week. Fundamentally I starved and got so thin that people were expressing concern. I thought I looked marvellous even though they showed me photographs that, looking at them now, appall me. I cannot imagine if I had lost twice that amount ... for sure I would have significant organ damage. I do think that The Biggest Loser gave me some inspiration though I was always aware that it was unrealistic. I wish the show could soften its approach to send a more achieveable message to people.

Last edited by Sinoia; 01-07-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'll admit I'm a fan of the show and watch it regularly.

That being said, I definitely agree there are problems. It shows unrealistic weight loss, I can't stand how they cut contestants before even entering the ranch, they perpetuate many myths of weight loss (you must lose quickly, you'll have a perfect life after losing weight, the thinner the better etc), and they advertise foods that I doubt many of the contestants are actually eating. So, yeah, you'd think i'd hate it after all that, right?

Well, I have to say, I've seen it long enough to say that it really does change lives. I'm a fan of many of the former contestants on facebook and the ones that I keep track of all appear to have maintained their loss. Most have not lost anything further (as far as I can tell) but still those are major losses that they have maintained.

I also get very wrapped up in the personal stories. There are individuals who have really been through the wringer who I can honestly say probably wouldn't have ever lost the weight on their own. I can certainly believe that without that show they really might have passed away quite a bit younger (and there are contestants on there who have lost an obese family member at a young age. I know a former contestant Adam lost his mother and I remember another lost a son).

The show also gives hope to many. I know I watched it a few seasons before I finally started making changes to my life. But it definitely affected me. I always knew that I wouldn't see the changes that the contestants on the show saw but just knowing that it was possible really helped me.

I also have to say that I've gotten many ideas for workouts from watching the trainers and even recipe ideas too.

There was another show Heavy that was more sensible in it's approach (although they certainly still have extremely quick weight loss because that's what brings in viewers). Essentially, the contestants stayed in some sort of enclosed environment but eventually they went back home and helped them transition to their home lives more.

Oh, as for pushing the contestants, I've noticed lately that they've been discussing injuries more and have been showing alternative methods for working out with an injury. As someone who can't do a lot because of my knees, I have to agree with Bob. It's extremely hard to burn off enough calories and get your heart rate up when you can't do squats, lunges or run! It IS annoying. Also, when they did the marathon last season they pulled out many contestants with injuries and wouldn't let them run.

Basically, the show certainly is imperfect (and I'd love to see some major changes in the format!!), there's no denying that but I still find it worthwhile to watch.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #13  
is chubby

I don't think any adult believes that the biggest loser shows the truth and nothing but the truth.

I mean they pretend they are alone at home and unaware that people come to surprise them while the cameraman is IN THEIR FACES! Do you run around daily with a professional camera crew?

Also notice that the workouts never show more than maximum 2 minutes continuously at a time? They do not work as hard as it's made out to be. They shoot for a few minutes screaming and some excersize, show some emotional drama and cut the scene for normal excersize to start.

And how they pretend during advertisments that it's all natural behavior? There first 7 or so seasons they were constantly advertising gum, and now that they have other sponsors not a word about how great gum is for weight loss annymore

BUT there are good aspects to the show. It might be largely fake, yet the simpler message behind it is a good one: "You can lose weight with excersize and good nutrition! Without surgery, without eating only one type of food etc etc"

They said once on the show that they are the "Olympics" of weight loss. I don't think they meant it as I do but they are right. Just like in the Olympics athletes go to immoral and dangerous extremes to reach fame and glory, so do the contestants of the biggest loser. It can still be an inspiration to a less extreme and pompuous lifestyle change for others.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #14  

Height: 5'5

I watched an interview where the Dr. was saying that one of the philosophies behind the show was that overweight people could exercise at a very intense level without dying. Society has gotten this idea that the overweight aren't capable of much and they don't believe this to be true.

as to people gaining weight back, well duh. Even if half the people gained the weight back it would still be better results than most diet plans. Long term that is probably equal to or better than surgery results.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #15  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Here are the stats for gastric bypass patients:

As many as 80% of patients eventually gain a little weight back after hitting their nadir.1 In addition, the more time that passes following surgery, the more likely patients are to gain some weight back.2
On average, patients who gain weight back see about 8% of their old weight return within 5 years of surgery.3 So if a patient is one of the 80% who gains weight back, was 100 pounds overweight and lost 70 pounds from surgery, on average she can expect to gain back about 8 pounds.
The good news is that most patients (about 80% of morbidly obese and 65% of super obese) keep at least 50% of their excess weight off after 10 years.2

I don't know the stats on biggest loser contestants. I also believe that the methods are too extreem and it sends a message that is perpetuated in our society: lose weight super fast or you're a failure. I have fallen into this line of thinking a lot. That said, I still watch the show simply because I'm a sucker for any weight loss show and also because I believe that the contestants know what they're getting themselves into and are free to leave anytime.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote