Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #1  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

Default How to "hide" more veggies in your food

Hi everyone! I thought of sharing some of my favorite recipes for hiding more veggies in your food to help cut the calories and boost the vitamin content of your meals for more energy and satisfaction

This one I got from a fitness magazine, we cooked it with my sporty brother and both of us had enough for a week's lunches (as a side dish of course, we do eat more than that in a week). The burgers will be enough for 2 people and 711kcal in total.

Chicken & veggie burgers:

Patties:
1 grated carrot
1 grated zucchini
280g chicken breast fillet
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup parsley
salt and pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Burgers:
4 full grain bread rolls
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup spinach
1 sliced tomato

Mince the chicken breast in food processor. Mix the minced chicken with carrot, zucchini, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, parsley, salt and pepper. If you have time, keep the mix in fridge for a couple of hours prior to cooking, then it will stick together more easily. Make 4 patties of the mix and fry on a pan in 1tbsp of vegetable oil.
Toast the bread, smear on the mustard and place the patties, tomato slices and spinach leaves to make a burger.

What are your favorite ways of hiding veggies in food?
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #2  
Explorer

How do you make your morning smoothies with spinach and/or zucchini? Do you mix in some fruits or is it supposed to be savory? It sure does sound like an interesting idea.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I put a lot of shredded veggies in stuff. Shredded zuke, yellow squash, carrots, etc. They cook fast and take on the flavor of whatever you're making. You can toss them in chili, taco meat, casseroles, soups, meat loaf, sauces,whatever.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #4  
Explorer

I just remembered one of my favorite secret ways to make superhealthy & superyummy cake! I simply boil abunch of carrots, blend them smooth while still hot andcovered with small amount of water. Then I mix in a little bit of chopped dark chocolate (with minimum 70% cocoa content) for taste and color. It will melt nicely, because the carrot mush is still hot. I add an egg and a few spoonfuls of flour (preferably oats flour, because I can digeat it easily. I can't eat wheat gluten. If you don't digest oats, try corn flour or starch instead) to glue it all together. No sweetener or sugar for me, carrots are sweet enough. If you like sweet, use something more healthy than sugar - honey or maple sirup or blend in a banana (banana will go very sweet with cooking). Pour the mix in a cakepan and cook in the oven until it looks ready. About 15-20min at 200deg should be enough. It will be nicely gooey and wobbly when hot and will harden when it cools down. Both hot and cold taste good. Yum the best part is knowing that this "chocolate cake" contains mostly carrots and very little else and almost noone will guess that it's superealthy unless you tell them!

Last edited by graatsia; 01-05-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #5  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I hide veggies in my husbands food all the time. About once a month I blend up veggies - squash, spinach, broccoli, carrots, peppers... whatever I have on hand or from the frozen section - then I seal portions into ziplock baggies and freeze them. They end up like small tootsie roll shaped veggie cubes of health, lol... Then I add them to soups, sauces, pasta dishes, stir frys... it makes it healthier for him, lighter for me, and he has no idea I do it. LOL.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #6  

Cut them into small pieces and u won't be able to taste them
stan255 is offline   Reply With Quote