Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #1  
banned

Default Injured my big toe

I've been walking/running for a couple of months now. I go for 30-35 minutes. Most of it is walking, but in the middle is 6 1-minute running intervals with a full minute of walking between them. I'm working up to increasing my stamina. I started out only running 20 seconds with a minute and a half of walking between each interval, but that's beyond the point.

Unfortunately, I somehow managed to injure the big toe on my right foot. It makes it uncomfortable for me to walk if I'm on my feet for too long, so I've slacked off to walking/running 3 times a week, hoping the off days would give it time to heal. Nope.

It hurts to lift up, but worse to squeeze down, and the base of the toe, and that curving area under it feels tender when pressed. It lessens a bit if I'm lounging around the house, but when I'm on it too much (like walking to my parents' house next door, walking in town, exercising ect.) the pain come back.

I've been taking Ibuprofen, and soaking my toe in hot epsom salt water when I remember. My husband suggested I try to work it by rubbing it and wiggling it around, thinking it might need to pop. I've been doing that, and have gained more movement and a little less pain. The day before yesterday, I pressed my fingers deeply into the bottom top of my foot and pushed my toe down and it made the loudest pop twice, like the snapping of a finger. I feel movement when I wiggle the toe now, like something is trying to pop.

I can't go to the doctor since we're having financial problems. It's been like this for a couple weeks-- 3-4. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think I can still walk/run a couple times a week to keep my stamina up?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hey Serval-

If running or walking hurts your toe, I would stop doing that activity for at least a few days. Your stamina will not decrease from just a few days rest, and there are tons of other ways you can get in exercise at home-- jump rope, yoga, etc-- that don't involve putting weight on your toe.

I remember a while back you talking about having other foot pains and I mentioned then that you may want to invest in some good shoes .I don't know if improper shoes are the cause of your toe hurting, but I've definitely conjured up weird foot pains from wearing shoes that were fitted improperly.

I understand you're under financial constraints but saving up to buy decent shoes with good support is REALLY important if you are going to be doing running, walking, or jogging as your main form of exercise. Spending $30 more bucks on a pair of good shoes is generally preferable than wearing shoes that bring on small injury after small injury, keeping you sidelined from exercise, or even having to go to the doctor.

Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #3  
banned

What brand/type would you suggest? Maybe I could find them on ebay.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #4  
banned

I forgot to mention that I actually bought new shoes a couple months back. They came from Walmart, and have a gelled insole. They ran about $23 with tax, I believe. Also, we don't have any sports/athletic store around here.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 12-06-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

That's awesome you got new shoes! It may not be your shoes that are the culprit. I just remember you having other foot pains a while back and saying your shoes were really worn out and wondered if the shoes were even more worn out now. Good news that you're in new ones

Personally if I were using walking/running as my main activity I would invest in good shoes, which would mean paying about twice as much as you did for your old ones. I have bad joints which are prone to pains if I am not in proper shoes. I think I mentioned this a long time ago but I grew up really close to where you are- in Cheatham County I know there isn't much stuff out in Dickson, but Bellevue is not too far and has tons of athletic stores. I can't recommend good shoes for you, an athletic store who can analyze your gait and talk to you would be able to though.

All that aside, how is your toe doing? Sometimes injuries like that flair up and all they need is a good rest. Hope it's doing better!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I went to work as a CNA in brand new walmart shoes when I first started. Worse mistake ever. I wound up developing plantar faciatus (sp)! I switch to a Nike walking shoe and BAM! It was fixed in a week of wearing new shoes. Honestly, walmart isn't a place to buy high intensity walking/running shoes.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #7  
banned

Thanks, both of ya'll.

I was reading up on toe injuries, and really think I sprained it. I was doing fine with the running. No foot or ankle pains since I switched shoes. My stamina had built up a bit more too, but then I decided to try turning around in mid-stride while running, and I think that may have been the culprit. I feel so stupid. lol.

A friend of mine suggested taping it to the next toe, and I've had it like that for about 2 days. I'm going to make myself a splint later, or buy one at the store and retape it. It seems to be helping. I can move around a little better with it taped up.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #8  
banned

Update: My toe still hurts. Sometimes it even feels a bit numb. I can't really do anything, and have been feeling hungry a lot, so my calories have been a bit high. Still, my weight is staying about the same, give or take a lb or two higher, and then it'll go back down the next day or two.

I tried riding my stationary bike, but it just irritates my toe, even if I'm hanging it off the edge. I still want to exercise, but I want to heal up quick. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do for exercise? I was trying a few crunches and different types of leg raises, but I can't really think of much to do. I feel so lazy.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #9  
banned

Update again: I think it's a sesamoiditis (sp?). I have most if not all of the symptoms. I have wrapped my foot with an orthopedic insole on the middle of my foot to help me not step on the ball of my foot and splinted my big toe. I hope this helps.