Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/134/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Just started low carb; is it normal to feel this good?

I'm just doing low carb (20% or less of daily calories) for this week because it's a week off from training and cardio. This is the third day. Physically I feel a little weaker, but mentally I feel aweeeesome, alert, focused, and good about myself. I'm not even having cravings! Is this supposed to happen? All the books said the first few days of low carb are rough and unpleasant but it's been great.

Soo should I expect some sort of horrible carb crash?
graterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #2  

Some people go through terrible carb withdrawals, but I never really did. I still feel great w/low carb and I've been doing it since July 25th. There are lots on here who've been at it a LOT longer than that!!

The worst experience (for me) is when I have a "cheat" day and eat a lot of carbs--the next day I have "carb hangover," headache, achy stomach, etc.

Good luck and welcome!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I don't get carb withdrawal either except, like 4myself, I do get carb hangovers if I give up and binge out.

What I have had in the past, though, is weakness and tiredness round about day 3, which is very hard to push through. In fact, last time I stuck with feeling absolutely dire for several weeks, hoping it would wear off. It didn't.
This time, I'm trying Dukan, and the daily oatbran allowance seems to be helping with that, I'm feeling good!

Good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #4  

Could the week off from training have anything to do with feeling way up?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/134/125

Day five now. Still feeling fine! I don't think lack of exercise can cause an upward mood swing, I mean, I'm not getting my endorphins... And while I don't particularly love training, I don't hate it either, so I don't think I'm subconciously celebrating.
graterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

My first few weeks doing low carb were pretty crappy but I know that's not true for everyone. Now I just generally have more energy. I'd say if you haven't experienced the "crash" yet, you're probably pretty good to go.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

When I go off carbs, the first day is neutral, the second-third days I am lethargic, then after that I feel FANTASTIC.
Hope it keeps up!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It could be that you eliminated a carb that was treating you badly before. You could have a sensitivity to a specific carb. I'm eating a Paleolithic diet and have eliminated grains, legumes and dairy as well as soy (I already knew I was sensitive to this) and all processed foods. I feel really amazing now. I felt pretty great when I cut soy from my diet, but when I got rid of grains, I stopped getting bronchitis. When I got rid of dairy, I stopped feeling knots in my stomach after eating.

I don't have a will of steel, so during this holiday time, I've slipped back into some old food patterns. Was rewarded with some sluggishness, foggy-thinking, a little wheezing and knots in my stomach. Plus, joints started feeling achy again. And a six-pound gain!

Lesson learned and I'm back to my Paleo-choices!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/217/140

I never felt bad in any way after cutting out the carbs but I did it slowly. I noticed by eating all the bad stuff at Christmas that I had a hard time paying attention and remembering things. I wasn't sleeping good either but it's getting better. No more mood swings and pms is gone monthly now. tmi I know. I'm still quite bloated but it's going to get better now that I'm eating better. I never had that low from cutting out carbs just a high really, can't wait to add exercise for the endorphins now.
Robin
medic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #10  

S/C/G: cw160gw135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myloves View Post
Some people go through terrible carb withdrawals, but I never really did. I still feel great w/low carb and I've been doing it since July 25th. There are lots on here who've been at it a LOT longer than that!!

The worst experience (for me) is when I have a "cheat" day and eat a lot of carbs--the next day I have "carb hangover," headache, achy stomach, etc.

Good luck and welcome!
So -that- is what I'm experiencing today! I'm glad I read this. I have felt horrible today. I had my first 'cheat day' on this under 30g carb a day low-carb diet. I had pizza, and alcohol. x_x I thought, one meal, not even a carb loading day, so what damage can it do right? I feel brainfoggy worse than the initial 2-day 'carb-flu' and it feels like theres a weird film over my face. Headache.. feel tired.
ikiryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: cw160gw135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBS717 View Post
When I go off carbs, the first day is neutral, the second-third days I am lethargic, then after that I feel FANTASTIC.
Hope it keeps up!
It was about the third day for me, when I began to feel pretty good.
ikiryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #12  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Wow I felt like crap for probably 5 days and it wasn't until probably 2 wks in that I started really feeling good.

And if I have a cheat day I'm feeling it for DAYS. At least knowing that the hangover is coming keeps me from cheating much. It's just not worth feeling so awful...mostly...LOL
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #13  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I get a little weakness at first as well, but never the full-on 'carb flu' with the achiness and misery. Cravings are pretty much gone right away and I always feel much more alert and rested when I'm off carbs. Sounds like you're having a similar reaction.

Just make sure you're getting lots of good quality protein and the weakness will go away as well. I work out twice a day (P90X + added cardio) while eating this way and don't have any problems.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/169/130

Height: 5"6

I just started a low/no carb diet and although I feel better...I miss Bread! WAHHH! I keep telling myself...nothing tastes as good as being skinny and healthy is going to feel!!
lcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

You learn to live without bread, lcard. I'm not going to pretend it's easy for everyone, but it does get easier.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote