Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #1  
running myself skinny

S/C/G: 191/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Hello! New to LC and ? about diets.

Hey everyone! I just started my low carb diet today. I tried it for about 2 days a couple of weeks ago and seemed to lose a few lbs right away. (Haven't put it back on) So I want to get serious about it since I only have 8 weeks left to lose as much weight as I can. (I'm having professional pics done in 8 weeks and want to look as hot as possible by then!) I'm wondering if 30lbs. or so is practical? Anywho, I am not on a set diet plan. I've checked out the Atkins book from the library and have a few samples of the Ideal Protein diet. I think i'm more or less just watching my carb intake rather than choosing a diet with lot's of rules. Is anyone else doing this? If so what is a good number to aim for a day? I was thinking around 20-30 carbs a day atleast the first month to try and get some of this weight off more quickly. Anyone else doing something similar? Also, I haven't been able to find low carb bread/pasta/etc. Can you order that somewhere? I've been planning on eating salad/cheese/eggs/veges a lot. Not sure what else to eat? I'm a little worried my sweet tooth may prevent me from succeeding on this plan.
taramade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

I am doing a low carb no name eating plan too! I don't want anything as restrictive as Atkins etc. So far I have lost about 5lbs (after switching from WW which just didn't work for me.) As far as your sweet tooth I have found that sun dried tomatoes work really well. I know they have a few gms of carbs but they are really sweet and have a little fiber to.
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #3  
running myself skinny

S/C/G: 191/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

Thanks! I had no idea they were sweet. I'll have to try them.
taramade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/184/160

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, 30 lbs in 8 weeks is 3.75 lbs per week. If you lose 10 in the first week (it can happen when doing strict Atkins, by the book), that leaves 20 lbs in 7 weeks, which is still 2.75 lbs per week...

I'm not saying it is not "doable" but only if you are strict and do follow the rules. Read the Atkins book. Only eat foods off the induction food list (not low-carb pasta), exercise moderately and you may make your goal.

That being said, it is not recommended to try losing more than 2 lbs per week (after the first week or two of a low-carb diet because you lose some water weight during that time) or you are less likely to keep it off.
sararay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I wouldn't even look for those low carb grain products yet. Get to goal, and find your limits first. many people find they stall when the low carb pastas etc are added in or when they eat too much sugar alcohol. Keep on track to goal if you need, but don't get too obsessed with those processed faux carb products.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

You don't need to be following any specific plan to find these recipes very helpful. There are low carb desserts (even a few that are Atkins Induction friendly)
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

so true Jersey, I've found some of my favorites at that site!
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote