General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3 & 1/2

Question Is this a healthy meal?

Im not sure if im posting this in the right section but..i hoping someone could answer this ? For lunch i eat, half a can of chunk chicken..about 150 calories...on top of crackers..reduced crackers..i eat 10..so 140 calories and then top it with low fat cheese...80 calories for 1/3 a cup so all together..370 calories..i really enjoy it..im more wondering if eating half a can of chunk chicken 12oz is okay to do??
PrincessAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I'd probably skip the crackers and eat the whole can of soup. Maybe even add some extra veggies to it, if possible. It seems like it would end up being roughly the same amount of calories. It is quite a bit a sodium, though, if that's an issue for you. But I'd rather be getting my calories from chicken and veggies than crackers. Or you could at least cut down on the number of crackers because 10 seems like a lot (how big are they?).

BTW, I'm not trying to be critical. It think you have a great start, I'm just trying to add a suggestion since you asked.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #3  

There club crackers, reduced fat. 70 calories for 5. When i eat this, its usually all i eat for lunch. I might try 5 instead of 10 crackers.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #4  
Go Hard!

S/C/G: 227.4/132/127.4

Height: 5'0"

To me it sounds like a great lunch - carb, protein and fat. However, you may want to switch to better quality crackers, such as whole wheat, etc.
SC Vitamin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like a good quick meal if you are running short on time and it was all you had in the house. I ate meals similiar to it during my low fat days.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think you need some fruit and vegies. Maybe sliced tomatoes for the vegies or a small salad.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #7  

This is not a good lunch - too much sodium from canned chicken (and too much chicken 3 oz. is a portion) and crackers (5 are a portion and club crackers are the worst - look for whole grain saltines), cheese is another dose of sodium, more protein. Cut back on the chicken and crackers, add some veggies and a fruit and you'll have a good, healthy, filling lunch.

Runningfromfat - where did you get soup - she lists none.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/183/140 (lowest 168)

Height: 5'7

I've generally heard horrible things about crackers. Really read the labels. Sodium, saturated fat, carbs, sugar...these packaged type foods often contain horrible things.
Panacea86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #9  

thanks for the advice everyone. I ate five crackers with it instead of 10. & next time i'll probably do less chicken & add a apple or something like that.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #10  
I think I can...

You could also have 2 slices of lite whole wheat or multi grain bread for about 80 calories and add some chopped veggies to the chicken and have a really filling sandwich.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
This is not a good lunch - too much sodium from canned chicken (and too much chicken 3 oz. is a portion) and crackers (5 are a portion and club crackers are the worst - look for whole grain saltines), cheese is another dose of sodium, more protein. Cut back on the chicken and crackers, add some veggies and a fruit and you'll have a good, healthy, filling lunch.

Runningfromfat - where did you get soup - she lists none.
Do'oh! I read that as that Campbell's Chunky chicken soup. Sorry, my answer would change quite a bit then. I thought she was eating half a can of soup with crackers.

I agree with others, make a nice sandwhich loaded up with veggies on whole grain bread or even make a salad with the chicken. Or make your own soup ahead of time and bring it with to work.

Sorry for the reading fail!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/135

Height: 5' 3.5"

I eat quick meals like that all the time. My difference is I usually have tuna instead of chicken (but the chicken is good too and I do have it) and I serve it on Triscuits, for the whole grains, and I go ahead and use 1tbl regular mayo OR mix in 2 wedges of laughing cow light with the tuna/chicken.

Served with a glass of low sodium V8 it is fast, yummy, satisifies the desire for crunch and fills me up
H82Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #13  
it's always something

I would suggest putting the chicken on a big bed of salad greens with a light dressing Cherry tomatoes would be good with it and maybe sliced bell peppers and onions. If the crackers help round out the meal for you, you can still have them on the side. You'll add very few calories for the salad veggies but add a lot of vitamins and phytonutrients.

Regarding your question about the amount of chicken, 6 oz should be fine if you use the reduced sodium version of the canned chicken.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

This is why weight loss is so confusing- you'll get a million different suggestions for every meal or action! I would say that compared to what you probably eat off plan, it's an excellent meal. However, you can always change things up with some of the great suggestions posted above. But if you find yourself doubting the healthiness of any meal, ask yourself the following questions:

A basic test for healthiness:
-Is it high in fat? Sodium? Cholesterol? Sugar?
-Is the food too densely packed with calories/not filling enough? A meal that's around 300 calories should typically keep your mind off food and your belly satisfied for 3 hours.
-Am I eating enough vegetables throughout the day? How can I add more?
- Am I eating "good" carbs or "bad" carbs? An easy way to tell is by the amount of fiber in the dish.
-How many calories am I eating throughout the day? Is it within my plan range?
-Am I getting enough variety? Eating too many similar foods can lead to holes in your nutrition.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-30-2011 at 03:34 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote