Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default 40-Something Emotional Eating Support - How You Doin'?

Anyone watch Wendy Williams? If so, you'll get the title!

Ok...I thought I kicked my addiction. You know the one where anything with flour and sugar will cure everything that's wrong in your life? Yeah, I thought I kicked that bad habit to the curb ages ago, but no. It seems that any time I feel stressed, angry, lonely, depressed, anxious, you name a negative feeling - I head for the sweets or salty carbs.

So, maybe it's a good idea to have a daily mood check-in to match up with how well I stayed on plan with my eating. Maybe some patterns will be found. Who knows?

Is anyone else with me? All you need to do is check in each day and answer the question - How you doin'?

Today for me -
5/20/2013 - I am somewhere in the middle. Not too shabby, but not overjoyed. I stayed on plan pretty well today - so far.

Update at 6:50pm - Ate 2 pieces of homemade pizza around 5pm during stressful time due to basement construction project. My house is a mess and I now have no laundry facilities to use - guess it's the laundromat for me for the next few weeks. Ugh! Still clocked in at under 1500 calories according to MFP. Another interesting finding is that I juiced a lot of fruits and vegetables today and my allergy symptoms have disappeared all afternoon and into the evening. My husband thinks it's pure coincidence, but I will try it again tomorrow. I haven't felt this symptom free in weeks.

Last edited by guacamole; 05-20-2013 at 07:52 PM.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I could use the support, too. Sugary, junky candy is my downfall. Sometimes chips & pretzels. Sometimes, just chomping to chomp (oral fixation??!).

5/20 On plan and under control, despite stressful behavior from DS2.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #3  

Yeah, Newleaf! So glad you have joined me in tracking our emotional health along with our physical health! Let's see what we learn about our eating patterns....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I'm in....guilty as charged....today I actually doin okay...did low carb and feel satisfied..I was starving on isagen ix. I am done eating for the rest of the night.....hope I have a drop on the scal tomorrow.....
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278.0 / See Ticker / 169

Height: 5'9"

I definitely need this thread! I had a really tough weekend emotionally and, unfortunately, tracking and staying on program went out the window. Which, you know, JUST MAKES THINGS WORSE! Ugh! When will I learn?

-Melinda
OtterMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #6  

Good morning and welcome Ottermommy and Zumba! Woke up hungry and am having some Greek yogurt and kashi cereal. Boiling some eggs for later. I hope I don't have the munchies all day. Feeling slightly anxious waiting for the work crew to show up for my basement.

Here's to an on plan day! Will check back in later.

Last edited by guacamole; 05-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #7  
Heidi

Good day today. I'm finding that tracking with MFP is giving me some good insight. It's no wonder I always lack energy; my iron consumption is very low. I knew that, but seeing it this way is eye opening.

Anyway, I'm feeling in control and somewhat dispassionate about food. That won't last, nor would I want it to. But for now, all is good.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #8  

Good morning! I feel okay this morning but last night wasa different story. Since none of my summer lot he's fit I went to buy a few things to get me through....seeing myself in cropped pants made me tear up and I eft the store with nothing.....depressing....I came home and tried on my favorite maxi dress from last year.....it was way too small...even spanx couldn't help.....

But the good news is I'm back on low carbing and I've lost a few lbs...so I'm in the right direction. I feel in control today.....
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #9  

newleaf123 - you are lucky to be in that dispassionate phase. I am going through sugar withdrawal cravings like crazy! It took all my self control not to go get myself an ice cream concoction at my local ice cream shop yesterday! I settled for an extra pomegranate Greek yogurt.

Zumba - I hear you! Clothing that I was swimming in a few months ago, now fit me perfectly (No, I do not want to be in 12s or 14s again!). Other things in my closet are too tight to wear now. It feels awful. I don't even want to go anywhere near a store, because it would be too depressing to try on clothes. I guess gaining weight is saving me money (unless I get even bigger and need to buy new fat clothes - never!!!).

I didn't do as well as I would have liked yesterday. Caved into the last 2 pieces of my homemade pizza for lunch, ruining my low carb day. I also ate a lot of spaghetti squash with a canned tomato sauce that had lots of sodium. The scale is not moving for me, and I am still weighing in at 161. Ugh!

I juiced up a bunch of fruit and am having it for breakfast right now. I am supposed to meet up with a friend later for a brunch/breakfast. I don't trust myself to order well, but I hate to cancel the plans because of my bad eating. I don't like how out of control I am with food that I have to be worried all the time about what I will eat. I have felt so many episodes of guilt over the last few weeks after eating off plan. I want to be back in control - food is just food, not a friend!

Good luck today!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Happy Wednesday!

I'm in too. I'm overwhelmed with things to do and being forced to skip exercise because we don't have enough cars to get all the drivers in the house where they need to go. I'm losing things...Ugh. It's a snowball. Of course, I'm craving sugar.

Thanks for this thread!
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #11  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

I am also an emotional eater. I don't know if I can ever be truly cured, but would like to limit my emotional eating and channel stress into other outlets whenever possible.

Lately I am very stressed about my mom's cancer. I'm not sleeping well, which makes me want to eat and not want to exercise..it's a vicious cycle. I have forced myself to go to the gym the last 2 nights, and I walked and ran already today. Getting myself sick isn't going to help anything..I need to remember that.

Binged on ice cream yesterday, hoping to do better today. Still too much sugar and processed food..why is it so hard to get out of this cycle?
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #12  

Moondance - Those sugar cravings are a killer! So glad that you joined this thread. The more support, the better for all of us!

natamars - I think I am realizing that I will never be cured of the desire to eat my emotions. I can go for long stretches when I am on a low-carb whole foods cycle without having the urge to binge. But it seems like if I go off track with carbs and sugars for too long, the emotional/physical need to keep eating those foods kicks in again. Right now I am trying to get through withdrawal symptoms....and it's tough.

What I am proud of today - went to a coffee shop with my friend, and resisted ordering any food. I ate before I went and had a coffee with skim milk instead. Yeah!! Boy, I could have easily ordered pastries or a sandwich, but resisted! Yeah! Plus, I really enjoyed spending time with my friend, and that really cheered me up. My goal is to get some exercise in today.

So far, I have had salad with broiled salmon and hard boiled egg and tomato. I juiced up a bunch of fruit this morning, and my youngest son tried some, and is now insisting I make some for him when he comes home from school!

I am still sad and scared that the scale isn't going down, but I will just have to keep on even without the payoff for now.

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #13  
Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by natamars View Post

Binged on ice cream yesterday, hoping to do better today.
This is in no way meant as a criticism of natamars, but really a reminder to all of us, myself included. When I find myself saying "I hope to do better..." it kind of makes it sound like its out of my control, sort of a random act of the universe. I try to catch myself and change it to "I plan to do better.... " and ask myself what exactly I will do to make that happen. It puts the accountability back on me, not to say I always act on it.

Last edited by newleaf123; 05-22-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #14  

I had a really rough day emotionally but did not turn to food....yay me....
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #15  
Heidi

Zumba yay, you, indeed!