Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #16  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Good afternoon,

Gardenjoy, those are great ideas for lunch.

Cruisecat, that sounds like good chili, I love chili on a baked potato... BAD

Dancer, I like the idea of protien and not carbs before bed. I am going to try that when I get those munchies. Gahhhhhh!!!!

Marie, I will check out the crackers, that is what I was actually looking for, I don't have one wheat or anykind of cracker in my house!! I like Trisquit too, but I am going to go for high fiber if I can find it.

everyone else, its nice to see you here, the more the marrier I hope!

Just finished my sandwhich and a banana. Pretty full actually. Tonight gonna try to catch the gym. I like getting there right after work so I don't have to go home first, or it makes it harder.

So... another day and I don't feel anything yet... LOL... kidding. I remember in my twenties, I would wake up and just automatically feel like I lost 5 lbs overnight! Boy, those days are gone. Now its really hard when it takes weeks, months to see any progress!!

dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #17  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

ICUwishing - good for you for providing appropriate "frog habitat" Yes, I am lucky with the gym. They have fairly limited hours for child care, though, so it's only weekday and Saturday mornings. I'm not sure if my sons will be as reliable as your son when they are 10. "Level headed" doesn't exactly come to mind with them.

dancer - you are so close to the 160's! My workout is about 1.5 hours long with 30 min of cardio and an hour of weights. I've always loved doing the weights because it's something my body does really well. I'm doing that 3 times a week and then adding other activities at least 2 times per week - usually brisk walking outdoors or something like that.

Hotsplashes - I had no idea that frogs did so much better with clean water, but it makes sense. Good for you for giving them that great environment.

Marie - I must have missed it. Why do you call your dogs "donkey dogs"?

CruiseCAT - that smoke doesn't sound like fun. I used to live in a city where I once could not see the ground from the 23rd floor due to the smoke from a forest fire. It can be unreal.

My workout went well today and I feel back on track. I think I finally figured out why I was so hungry all the time. It seems to have been due to a lack of fat in my diet. Now that I'm adding in things like sunflower seed butter, I am finally feeling normal. Because I have to cook most of my own food due to food allergies, I've been doing low fat everything and it obviously was not enough fat once I started to really exercise.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #18  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Pres - you know I'm the "fat advocate"! Not sure what you can take with your allergies, but avocados and olives come to mind along with the seeds and nuts. Yes, it does screw up the calorie counts - they're heavy. In my case, I find that they kill my appetite too, so I eat less and it makes it much easier to control my portion sizes.

dmc - chili on a baked potato isn't necessarily a bad thing! There are ways to bring that delightful dish into control, and a veggie or chicken chili is a great start! Now, if you're adding a cup of grated cheese and half a cup of sour cream ... that's different. I limit the potato end of the deal by using smashed baby redskins - more nutrients and fiber for the potato volume. Or, South Beachers know ... that under chili, roasted cauliflower is almost indistinguishable from potato ... !
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

ICU: Oooh - interesting idea about the cauliflower - will check that out soon. Potatoes are one of those foods that I'm not great about limiting portions on so it's better for me not to start. Do you mash/puree the cauliflower or eat it as is?

presmaggie - good for you for realizing what you need! We're such quirky machines, aren't we?

Last edited by dancerindenver; 08-31-2009 at 04:19 PM.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #20  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default OMGosh

Marie, that is what I am going to have for lunch tomorrow, I have both chili (turkey) and caulifour at home! I was wondering what to make.
That just rocks! Thanks so much.

Maggie, I never thought about fat benefits, but I can see where it might be true that it helps with feeling fuller. I notice when I eat pumpkin seeds especially, I get and stay full for a long time. I do not eat the shell like a lot of people.

Yesterday I didn't eat hardly any fat and I was hungary all darn day!
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #21  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

I am rarely hungry, I do get the munchies but it's not about hunger. I try to keep my food at 40P/30F/30C.

I made more chili today....yummy yummy!!!
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #22  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
roasted cauliflower is almost indistinguishable from potato ... !
When I was doing low carb I loved mashed cauliflower. I don't think I would fix it the same way today (loaded with bacon and butter) but I do think I could tweak it to fit my life style today..... thanks for the reminder.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #23  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

I didn't get rained on at the bus stop today, though it was thundering. A coworker I've never met before offered me a ride home while I was waiting for the bus, just as it started to rain, so I stayed dry. Cut my daily walking in half though. I had a long call at work that ran into my lunch break and as the call ended I suddenly felt extremely ill...my blood sugar was the lowest I've ever seen it. Hard to make myself eat something when feeling queasy! I've really reduced my portions and the amount of fat and spice in my food since the spell I had on friday. Gradually adding back "real" foods but still small portions. It usually takes about a week for me to get back to normal. Unfortunately I'm not being quite so good about the sugar because I don't want to push it at work with letting my sugar get too low.

Marie: We think once they're grown being a parent will get easier, but it's so not true! I love the stained glass piece. I always find walking and creative activities to be great stress relievers. I make jewelery and know what you mean about doing it as a job instead of when the inspiration hits. I'm a turtle fanatic if you ever get the urge to do one with turtles : )

CruiseCat: hoping you stay safe up there!
Welcome Gabby!
dmc: loving your enthusiasm : )
presmaggie: you have such a busy life, I admire your preplanning and dedication!

Everybody has such great ideas and tips! I have one for lunch that includes avocado...it's a mexican tuna salad (actually got from a girl raised in columbia) made with tuna, lime juice, avocado, tomato and cilantro. no mayo and very tasty! I can post the recipe later if anyone is interested : ) I'm sure you can sub chicked or salmon and it would be yummy as well.
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #24  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

WLW, please post the recipe, I love cilantro!

It's only Monday and we are already into the 2nd page of postings on this thread! WOW, makes it hard to keep up!

Welcome primm and Gabby! Keep posting here, this is a great group!

I managed to get up at 5:45 to walk this AM. We have had cooler temps here and it was actually cold! I'm planning to get up early again tomorrow. How many days does it take to create a habit?
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #25  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

Thanks so much everyone. It is nice to fit into more of my clothes. I am literally down to one pair of dress pants, two pair of shorts, a couple of skirts and dresses and a pair of jeans that I can wear. I am looking forward to fitting into more of my clothes in September.

Might be tmi, but on Friday I am having an endoscopy and colonoscopy. I am not looking forward to the prep part of this. I am sure everything will go well and I just want it to be here and be over with so I can relax.

Have a good evening and a great Tuesday!!!
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #26  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I posted the below in last weeks thread by mistake! So I am reposting. DOH!

Hubby and I went shopping today, plus I had an eye doc appointment. I'm doing very well post surgery. My distance vision is a little blurry, and I still have the double vision, so will probably get bifocals; readers for the bottom and distance in the top but that will wait for my eyes to stop healing, etc. I asked about the exercise and he said one more week, then said "you aren't lifting 200lbs are you?" I smiled sweetly and said "no, 50 is as high as I can lift over my head" He was speechless for a minute. But then asked me to wait another week. But I took that to mean on the heavy weights. So I figure I'm okay for cardio and light weights. I don't have to wear the hard eye proector at night either. Yay!

Before picture of our shower surround {and dog getting a bath}
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...ennifer894.jpg

Shower surround after
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_3222.jpg

bath floor after {can't find a before on the computer}
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_3253.jpg

Dry {ha ha} fit of the sink
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_3261.jpg
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #27  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hey all! Okay trying to play catch-up again. In the correct thread this time. I 'did' a Jacque, who has a great new avatar!

WLW, Nice of your co worker to give you a ride so you didn't get wet!

Hydra, I'll be praying for you on Friday with your med procedures.

Marie, Congrats on the 60lbs! I've thought about trying to sell my quilts or knitting but always thought it would be more trouble than it was worth.

ICU, Finally posted the pics. Our computer crashed about a year ago and we were able to save the pics before having to wipe the memory. Hubby downloaded about 1200 of them {about two years worth} and 75% of them are April {the dog}, 15% are my garden, very few of Hubby and I, and the rest the house, quilts, places and other people, or holidays.

I think chili makes everything taste better. If I buy a can of chili its Turkey but if I make my own its my mom's recipe with ground beef. I've tried it with turkey but its just not the same comfort food! Thanks for the tip on the red potatos

Gabby, Welcome! congrats on your son!

Maggie, Congrats on feeling back on track! I need to get there myself!

Cruise, I don't feel hungery a lot either, even {on the rare occasions} I'm eating very little during the day. Hubby is hungery all the time so 'getting' our meals together is sometimes a challenge.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #28  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I typically leave the cauliflower in small 1" pieces. I've been known to hide zucchini with it under the chili, too.
Cruise - oh yeah - the cauliflower with bacon and butter - I remember those days rather fondly!
patch - I'll have to check those pics out tomorrow - thanks for posting them!
WLW- glad you stayed dry! Best wishes with managing the sugar ... I think more people should make an effort to learn what sets them off, not just diabetics. It looks like nearly every chronic disease and possibly even aging may be related to our sugar processing in some way. Unlike salt, I have NEVER read a single article or story about anyone that got sick from eliminating sugar or leveling their insulin - am I nuts? Aside from that persnickety craving that we were all built with ... sigh.

Perfectly on plan today. Great start to the week!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #29  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

dmc: I need to plan to avoid the munchies. If I know what I can eat in advance, then I stick to that. If I don't plan out exactly what I'm going to have, I get cravings. And like someone else said, healthy fats and proteins are key.

CruiseCAT: I'm glad the fires are a long way from you. I'm from fire country in southern Australia as well (there were some shockers last year near where my family live, and this year is building up too), so I have some idea of what you're going through. Not fun.

Marie: Well done on the 60lb loss! That's absolutely awesome.

Gabby: Welcome!

Onmyway:
I've read (but I don't know how true it is) that it takes 28 days to make or break a habit. 27 to go!

Not much to report here. I'm still very sore from my run on Sunday - from km8 to km9 was uphill, and my quads are killing! A nice walk today which helped, and I'm working tonight so that should help stretch things out again.

My 18 year old broke up with his girlfriend of 2 years yesterday. They just went their separate ways, and he says he's ok with just being friends, but I can tell he's devastated. Lots of support this week, I think!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #30  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Checking in with the chicks! It's going to be crazy at work, so I'll do my best to catch up on the personals later today!