Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #1  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Default Stupid question

Ok I will be 45 this year, and I do not feel that old, but it got me thinking about the change. you know hot flashes, mood swings, menoupause etc.
AT what age does the change begin? I still have my monthlys every month regular on schedule.No hot flashes yet. or any signs that it has begun. What should I be looking for?
I just moved and have not gotten established yet w/ medical insurance.....so going to the Dr. is out of the question for now.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

From what I understand it's different for everyone. Do you know when your mother went through the change?

I've also heard that not everyone gets all of the symptoms, so... and you don't necessarily need to go to a doctor unless the symptoms are causing you problems. I wouldn't worry about it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:41 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I will be 45 as well this fall. I do not feel or look old at this point. My periods are regular but noticeably heavier than they were. I've also been dealing with alot more cramping, its like being 13 again! No hot flashes here either. The only real noticeable change that is heartbreaking is my hair has thinned in front and on top over the last 4 or 5 years. I thought maybe it was just a temporary thing until I looked closely at my own mother and realized that her hair has done the same thing over time. Other than that, no real signs of anything to come as far as menopause. I almost wish it would just happen and I could move on with my life......

P.S. Although the hair thing really bothers me I have decided that I am gonna find the most fun wigs I can and be like Dolly Parton!

Last edited by TamiL; 06-14-2009 at 06:42 AM.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi gals. I'm long past menopause, it happened in my early 50's. It really was a breeze for me (hmmmm, maybe the word "breeze" was not a good choice because the one symptom I did have was daytime hot flashes).

I don't know why you should worry about it, I never did. Whatever happens happens and you can deal with it at that time. I had hot flashes during the day for about a year ... it wasn't the end of the world. I didn't do anything special for them. That was 6 or 7 years ago and as far as I can tell I feel the same way I've always felt.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

From what I've heard, it's another one of those totally unique experiences. I doubt that it's anything that you'd go to a doctor for, until you started to see symptoms.

I'm having a full hormone panel done (no menopause symptoms that I'm aware of), but mostly for identifying any barriers to my weight loss. I'm a member of Life Extension Foundation, so I can get it done for $199. Figured it would be a good baseline for if/when things turn south. I'm 42 - and perpetually curious about how body-things work.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #6  

I don't hitnk its a stupid question at all!! I just turned 45 and so far so good. My sister started going through menopause in her early 50's. How long does it last? Is it different for everyone?
kats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #7  
To Be Fit

S/C/G: 130/127/110

Height: 5'0''

It is certainly different for everyone but there are USUALLY some general things most women go through.

First of all, the earlier you got your periods, the OLDER you will be when you go through menopause. This has never seemed fair to me (you have your periods for several years longer than those who started later) but there's nothing we can do about it.

The new word around is "peri-menopause" which is now used to describe the years leading up to menopause. Menopause technically means cessation of periods rather than the years leading up to it, so maybe that is the reason for the new word.

Everyone thinks of hot flashes as THE menopausal symptom but there are really a number of symptoms. For instance, some women, like myself, start having their periods closer together and heavier. On the other hand, I have a cousin the same age as me (47) who said her periods have already stopped and she had no menopausal symptoms - what's up with that?

So now I have really heavy periods. I did not think I was having hot flashes but lately I find myself creeping the thermostat down, down, so maybe I am. I have been taking Shaklee's Menopause Balance for years and I think it has helped but...

Besides the heavier periods, I have also had a lot of memory problems. I looked this up recently online and I have pretty much every problem related to menopause having to do with memory (not just short-term memory but also brain fog and difficulty following my own thoughts). I have found this disturbing and discussed it with my doctor who agreed to try me on short-term low-dose hormone therapy (but then she forgot to order the prescription - kind of ironic don't you think?)

Anyway, I suggest you research it online, and keep track yourself and any symptoms you get and decide for yourself how much they interfere with your daily life. You may sail through, you may not. Only you can decide if HRT is for you. From what I learned, it is actually better to get the HRT while you are still having your periods, if your symptoms are troublesome (as mine are).

Good luck!
nolemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Not a stupid question I'd agree with everyone above, maybe do some research, but don't worry and stress unless you start having troublesome symptoms.

I'm 48 and my periods have not lessened yet, still every 22 or so days which has always been normal for me. I still get uncomfortable crampy feelings but no longer lower back ache, due to regular exercise.

good luck
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #9  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

When I turned 40, my doctor told me that it could start anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 years from that moment. That was 7 years ago and for the most part things have been okay for me. I have had a few hot flashes and night sweats but my periods have stayed pretty regular. A few months ago, I started getting them every 3 weeks...that lasted for about 3 cycles. I thought, okay, things are DRASTICALLY changing since I had ALWAYS been very, very regular. My last one, however was right on time.

I asked my mother when she went through it and she said 48....and then she was done!! She hadn't had a period in 11 months and then had one. And that was it.

I will be 47 next week....so I could possibly be done in a year...if I am anything like her. We will see

Talk to your doctor about it....EVERYBODY is different!!!

Last edited by Jacque9999; 08-01-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #10  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Before I started losing weight I would get hot flashes and horrible night sweats. I always contributed it to "carb overload". Over the years I was never regular, I would go 35-60 days, and then about two years ago..... boom every 25-28 days. Well in the last six months it can be as short as 21 days and very heavy. Instead of lasting three days it's now 5 or 6. Obviously my body is changing and I'm just ready for it to be done. I would say that if you are not having issues I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW - I am 45.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 08-01-2009 at 07:38 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote