Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Diet Coke

I am a diet coke addict. I have read and heard from several people that claim that it makes weight loss harder and may even make you gain weight. Something about the body behaves just like when confronted with sugar and resists insulin...or something like that.

I know Jillian from Biggest Loser makes people give up diet soda (all soda) and I had a trainer who tried to get me to get off it (but I'm an addict)

What are your thoughts and experiences?
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I'm kind of in the same boat you are. I love coffee, and I use artificial sweeteners in it (boo hiss, I know). I was told the same thing about those sweeteners, that they will hinder my weight loss and all sorts of terrible things. I also drink diet coke on occasion, and used to drink it a lot....the only reason I've cut back is cost. I was puttin' tons of it away.

However, I did take a year off where all I drank was water. Not crystal light, not carbonated water, just water.... and I didn't notice a lick of difference in my weight loss efforts. My dentist who had been the biggest proponent in getting rid of soda didn't even notice a difference in my teeth when i went back a year later.

It could be that when i first started losing wieght I never thought to give up the diet coke.

I'm sure there'll be people who swear that diet coke/sweeteners were the one thing holding them back. I think it's dependent on the person. It's not that it's the healthiest choice, nor is it the worst choice, but is it a doable choice?

Yes, I'm aware that I could be ingesting healthier things that artificial sweeteners in my coffee and diet soda, but this is also something we're supposed to be able to do for life. If it's a lifestyle change it has to be workable... if diet soda is the worst thing you're doing/taking in, then I don't think that's a big deal.

This POV may be the unpopular vote, but that's why it's a point of view.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I have never had a problem drinking diet soda and losing weight, or for that matter ingesting anything else involving artificial sweeteners and still losing weight. For me, these things have helped me to consume fewer calories without feeling so deprived.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138kg/127kg/72kg (304/280/160)

Height: 5foot 7inches

Hello ladies and Gents,

I have to agree that losing weight is supposed to be a lifestyle change. I drink a reasonable amount of diet coke etc. Find it has a better flavour than the regular stuff anyway. The sugar loaded stuff seems too sweet and syrupy. I drink coffee with a just a bit of skim milk. Love porridge for breakfast but couldn't eat it without some sort of sweetner. Splenda and the like has a lot less cal/carbs etc than the real stuff. Important when counting calories. I think if you have those low cal substitutes in moderation, then that's okay, well it works for me. The experts may not agree. I think the water cleansing aspect is the important factor. Keep hydrated.
Meggie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It doesn't make it harder. I've lost over 35 pounds since April and I drink a ton of it. Sure it's got chemicals, but I don't drink, I don't do drugs, and everything else I eat is fairly natural. I've just made the decision that it gives me too much pleasure to let go right now considering all the other changes I've made. I try to balance it with drinking water too.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 06-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

thanks everyone so far....I really don't want to give up my Diet Coke....even though I know drinking only water would be better for me
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #7  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

cheekie, I totally agree with all the posts. I love diet pepsi. Yes I've cut back in recent years but it was totally because I started craving ice water. (yeah odd for a diet cola addict). Like Optical Goddess, I totally cut out the stuff while overseas for an extended time. There was no difference in my weight loss speed (molasses slow). The ony thing that makes a difference is extra calories. If Diet Coke is your vice, it's certainly not a bad one. Enjoy a cold refreshening Diet Coke and I'll toast you with my Diet Pepsi that's fizzing next to me.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Agreement here. I don't drink a ton of it, but I'll usually have a diet soda a few times a week. I've never had a problem with it.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #9  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Speaking as a recovered "addict" - it's not that bad for you. I drank lots of the stuff for many years. I quit about a year ago. I think I've had 3 in the last year. Granted the chemicals aren't great, but what it good for you? There are worse habits.

The best argument against it re: weight loss is that it can encourage your sweet tooth. Supposedly intake of something sweet regularly can encourage your body's desire for sweets.

I quit because it lowered my water intake significantly. I'm an "all or nothing" type of person, and when I started drinking a lot of water, my arthritis almost disappeared. Turns out dehydration contributes significantly to osteo.

But actually, I lost more weight and faster back in my 20's when I did drink a 6 pack a day. That was probably a function of age though.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #10  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

I was also a big diet coke drinker. First thing I drank every morning, last thing I drank every night. Last summer, after having some issues with anxiety and being unable to tolerate the medicine for it, my Dr. suggested (in addition to other things) eliminating caffeine from my diet. I switched to caffeine free diet and about 6 months ago eliminated diet coke from my diet altogether. If I have an occasional soda, the caffeine keeps me up half the night. I'm drinking way more water and I feel much better and my skin looks better. Don't know if that's because of no diet soda or another benefit of all of the weight I have lost so far. Do I miss it? Sometimes.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/186/130

I don't think diet sodas are that bad for you in moderation. They help me when I'm starving and want to binge on junk food. They take away that starving feeling. Someone did tell me that the carbonation bloats your stomach, so if it's a thinner look you are after, you may want to cut back on them. I don't know how true this is. I've never had a problem with it.
gingerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 258/199.3/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Doesn't hinder my weight loss at all......

I've drank diet soft drinks from Diet Coke to Diet Barq's Root Beer (my favorite to cut a sweet tooth) I haven't noticed it to stop my steady weight loss at all. I try and buy caffeine free but I do have a 12pk or 2 of the real stuff when I feel I need a boost in the day. I drink about 3 diet drinks per day. H2O a ton and then I make green tea and drink about 64 ounces of that stuff sweetened with a little bit of splenda and my favorite item on the market either TRUE ORANGE or TRUE LEMON. If you haven't tried it go to their website you can print a $1.00 off coupon (I buy mine at Smiths/Kroger and it's $2.89 a box). It comes in packets that = 1/4 lemon wedge (i think) and it also comes in a small container to shake.

But to sum it all up I don't think Diet drinks hinder your weight loss. It all depends on your body make-up I would assume?
YzGals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I used to drink DietRite for a while when Splenda was the latest biggest thing. I think if you're going to have a "vice", this would be the least damaging one you could pick as long as the stuff doesn't make you crave other carby things. I'm trying to move towards a whole-foods lifestyle, and now I really don't like any sodas at all - to me they all taste like weird lab conconctions that don't resemble anything in nature. If it works for you ... drink up!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #14  

Height: 4'11"

I love diet coke and diet Dr. Pepper. It does make me crave sweets though. It probably does make it harder for some to lose weight, everyone is different, so you have to figure it out for yourself. One thing I have found is that if I only drink one a day, and use it as a "treat" it really is a nice treat for me. I also feel a little better and retain less water when I don't drink so much. Just do what works for you.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote