Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #1  
angelmom313

Smile I hate water! Advice?

I hate water--except after a hard workout and very cold. I cannot exercise right now much. I know about adding Crystal Lite, etc. Still, I just don't care for that. I think the main thing is I like carbonation, mainly soda.

I am not sure what kind of responses I will get. I think my only option is just to force the water down....Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/131/100 (kg)

Height: 1.67cm

The more you drink, the quicker you get used to it! Use a Soda Stream to make your own carbonated water. Try adding some lemon juice. I find it easier to drink the water at room temperature rather than ice cold.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I still only drink it once in a while, and I've been losing. Maybe both of us should just suck it up and start drinking plenty of water, huh? I just hate it, so much.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/131/100 (kg)

Height: 1.67cm

I just noticed how much you have lost already! Great!
I am supposed to have 3ltrs water a day. What I do is fill 6 x 500ml bottles and I down one every so often! I usually have one or two full bottles left at the end of the day, but at least I get most of it in. I can also replace 1 ltr water with some diet drink, but I don't do that because I don;t really like it too much either.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I would say that if you don't like it, don't worry about it. It's important to stay hydrated, but many of the recommendations over the years weren't based on any real research! The new research suggests that for most of us, there isn't really any need to pound down a lot of water. We get what we need from what we drink and eat.

I lost my link to the original research article, but here's a summary
http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/200...runc_sys.shtml

And here's a link that talks about how caffeine doesn't have the negative diuretic effects we used to think
http://www.beverageinstitute.org/hea...feine_qa.shtml

Please don't think I'm suggesting it's bad to drink water!! Lots of people like it, and find a lot of benefits from it. And you should drink more when you exercise or sweat a lot.

My main point is that for people who don't like water, they don't need to worry too much.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I use to really hate water and all I'd do was drink soda. But you get use to it. I noticed it may not help me lose weight, but it surely does keep my weight from flucuating 10lbs between days. And since I weigh everyday it keeps me sane.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Just a thought - keep an eye peeled for LaCroix sparkling waters. I discovered them on a NWA flight, of all places, but can find them in my Spartan stores. They have grapefruit and raspberry and plain, and a few other flavors. No calories, no HFCS, and a satisfying carbonation tickle.

I've lost my desire for pop because I can't rationalize the taste any more - I ask myself "What in nature does this taste like?" and all I can ever come up with is "chemical plant." Minor victory ... but I'm not going to knock it. At least with the LaCroix, I can say, "it's like fizzy diluted grapefruit."
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #8  

I used to have a tough time with water but I crave it now. I find that I like to drink it very icy. And, I seem to be able to drink more if I use a container with a straw. Don't ask me why but it seemed to go down easier in the beginning when I wasn't too crazy about it. I would definitely check out the LaCroix like ICU suggested. I too like the carbonation.
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #9  
angelmom313

Thank you all for the helpful information! Like Kelly said...I am just gonna suck it up and drink it and see if I begin to like it. I do think that if I give it a chance, like any thing in life, I will develop a taste or thirst for it. In fact, I am going to "publicly" make a challenge to MYSELF. Today is Friday...so, I am going to NOT drink anything except water all weekend! Please pray!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #10  
angelmom313

Ok, everyone look at Heather's response and, if you haven't already, click on the link to the study on water. I just posted that I am challenging myself to drink water all weekend, I am definitely going to give it a shot! However, the links provided some good information. I think unless you are incredibly active...i.e. exercise, then maybe our bodies don't require constant water and can extract it from what we normally take in (food, drinks). Right now, I am not very active because of an injury but, like I said, I am going to try to drink the water over this weekend because I just think it is better to NOT drink my calories. Because, after all, I do need to look at my caloric intake very closely.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #11  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Drink crystal light .. gradually reduce the amount you add to the water
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #12  
angelmom313

It is Saturday and I have been drinking the water pretty well. It truly is a conscious effort. I would just automatically reach for a soda before....so, I am hoping that this is not just a weekend thing, but a lifestyle change.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #13  
Learning to love veggies

I drink (no sugar added) diluting juice with my water as its the only way I can take it. I drink about three litres a day and find myself craving it now if I am a bit lax about it.

I used to drink only diet coke and now I can't even stand the taste of it! You really do get used to it.

Good luck!
x Yael x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #14  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

What about no-calorie, flavored sparkling water? It still has the fizz but no calories...Perrier might fill the void also.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 03-21-2009 at 09:03 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #15  
angelmom313

Thanks for all the good advice. I am gonna give it some time and see if I can get used to it.

Also, I think I heard drinking water helps you be "regular". I am always constipated! (TMI) But, have you guys heard if it helps with "that"?

Thanks bunches. I love this site. I am hanging out a lot now! Can't wait for my signature!