Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/220/153

Height: 5'10"

Default I Cannot Take the Whole Plunge!

I've been fooling myself for a quite a while about my weight. I am 5'10" and weigh 182 lbs. I know I use food as a reward or comfort. I do an assortment of small "healthy" things, but I don't invest enough of myself for them to show any weight loss.
I rarely eat out. I have one serving of oatmeal every morning with Splenda and a TBSP. of raisins. I only eat whole wheat bread. I only buy lean cuts of meat. I walk 2 miles 2-3 times a week. I don't drink alcohol. I mainly drink water other than a cup of General Foods International Coffee with breakfast. There's probably other healthy things as well, but I use these things to justify the extra snacking between meals.
I know I can't lose the weight I want because I'm consuming too many calories and not exercising enough. I know all of this, and I soooooo want to get back to a size 10 rather than 14. I want it for myself. I want to feel attractive again, and I need to lose the weight to do it. Somehow I just can't commit to it. I think if I started now, I could be close to my goal by Summer just in time for cute t-shirts and shorts not to mention a bathing suit.
I am a SAHM with a 3 yr. old and a 19 mos. old so sometimes my time is not really "my time." I have to really work at making the time to exercise, and I don't make it a priority.
So what motivates you? How do you totally commit to it? I know it can be done. I want to do it. Help!
cinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I can identify w/having to make the time. If you don't make it a priority it won't happen. Put your nutrition, sleep and exercise at the very top of your list and it will happen.

I read here a few weeks ago someone's quote and I loved it. It read, "if you love the results, you have to like the process."
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #3  

I finally decided that when I feel better about myself I am a better mother to my children.So although it feels like you are taking away from your children when you make yourself a priority, I think the opposite is true.You will be a better, more involved and happier mother because of it.You kids deserve that and so do you.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I don't have much advice to offer but I wanted to let you know you are not alone. I feel the same way. I also know I need to totally commit but I tend to sabotage my own efforts. I recently joined this board hoping that the support of others would give me the strength to keep going. I also love reading the success stories because I know I can be a success story some day too. Seeing progress pictures and reading the stories does motivate me and helps me keep focused.
Lessofmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #5  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

What motivates me is doing this for my health rather than my appearance. Don't get me wrong -- I want to look great, and wear cute shorts & t-shirts too. But I find that if that's my *motivation* then I tend to also tell myself that that's shallow (no offense) or that it can wait, and how can I take time away from kids, from work (I work from home and *only* get paid for the hours I work, ie, not on salary)??

But if I'm doing this for my *health and well being* then it takes on a whole new meaning. My father is 70 and does 200 - 300 mile bike races; that motivates me. What can I do today to ensure I can be active and healthy when I'm 70, and be there for my husband, my kids, and hopefully my darling grandchildren?? I did a fabulous 4-day high altitude hike in Peru 2 summers ago, and my boys want to do it with me when they are in their teens (they are 7 & 9 now). What do I need to be doing today to ensure I can be an active parent when they are old enough to do some neat trips together??

Anyway, I'm sure it's all mind games, because really -- I *do* want to get back to my size 8 jeans and look great again -- but that doesn't work as my *motivation*. Does that make sense?? LOL
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #6  

I am right there with you newleaf123!! We need to do this for our health and well beings! I used to only want to look good and didn't worry about the health part. Now that I turned 40 I decided that is the main reason I am doing it. Of course, I want to look better too, who doesn't? But it is a major motivator to be healthy and feel good.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I didn't "plunge" all of my changes have been small easy doable changes, and each change has resulted in progress (not always weight loss, but always noticeable progress). I've hit several weight loss plateaus, and I broke them with small, but consistent changes.

I don't think it's a matter of plunging, but if finding "just enough" change to see results that you want. You only have to lose one pound at a time. If I thought about what it will take for me to lose 180 more pounds, I get overwhelmed, but if I think about what it will take for me to lose 1 more pound, it seems much easier.

I think it does take proportionally much more effort to lose smaller amounts of weight. However, I also believe that regardless of how much weight you want to lose, gradual change is as legitimate as "full-steam-ahead-100% commitment to rapid weight loss." I think that a lot of folks who could make small changes, leading to larger changes, but don't attempt to do so, because they think they have to be ready to "take the plunge" and make large, drastic changes. Instead of looking at the end of your race, look at the next step. 20 lbs may seem impossible, but what about 2, can you lose 2 more lbs? Weight loss is definitely a race that the tortoise can win.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote