View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
mandalinn82
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/191/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lunches and dinners would be great either in a crockpot (which uses marginally less energy than a cooktop, even when cooking for 8 hours) or on the stovetop, and again, I'd go in batches so you only use your pots and the amount of energy used to cook one time. You can do all kinds of things with a crockpot, using all kinds of cheap ingredients:

-Red beans and rice with carrots, zucchini, celery, onion, canned tomatoes if you can obtain them cheaply, and spices. You don't have to use all of those veggies - go with what you can get cheaply, chop it up, and add it in. Fiber, protein, and veggies.

-Chicken pieces (I can find whole chickens for 79 cents a lb when they go on sale. When they do, I bring them home, cut them up, and freeze) with whatever seasonings and liquids you have on hand, and again, more veggies (canned tomatoes can be bought on sale and make a great base for crockpot meals). Serve the chicken (remove the skin before serving to cut the calories) and veggies over brown rice (which you can also cook in bulk and freeze in individual portions). You can use frozen veggies too - just add them closer to the end of cooking, so they don't get mushy.

-Corn tortillas, black beans cooked in your crockpot or on the stove from dry and then stored in your freezer until you're ready to eat them, shredded lettuce or iceberg, salsa and lowfat sour cream if you can find it on sale - cheap, fast to cook on a busy night, lots of fiber from the beans, whole grain from the corn, and vitamins from the salsa.

Whatever you make, make a lot, then freeze in individual portions. Every meal you cook on your batch cooking day is a meal you don't have to spend time on during the week.

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!