Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #36

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Thought I would start a fresh page to post on. It is said to get to 93 degrees this day in the Heartland. Now that is great lot cooler then the original 104 the first said it was going to be. Yipekio it is on a cooling trend hopefully. I am going to make some chicken pot pies for dinner this day using leftover rotisserie chicken. The corn is dry so I will see how the next process of cooking it goes this day. Oh Beanie dumped my trash can that is here in my office. Knocked it over and frolicked in the paper. The little punch pieces will have to be vacuumed up but all the other pieces I was able to pick up. I had left my door open and he availed himself. I just realized that school starts next month around here. Summer break sure did go fast. I like hearing you gals give reviews of the movies you see for it gives me a better idea of what we will rent. I want to see the new Harrison Ford one of Cowboys and Aliens. Our neighbor has a few large dogs. We had the screen door we took off when we replaced it with one with a doggie door in it leaning up against the storage building out back. When we got home from somewhere when we were out and about the neighbor man was standing at the chain link fence between our yards looking at the door. I said, “You want that door?” He got a huge grin on his face and Will said, “I’ll get the hardware that goes with it." Now we don’t have to dispose of it. We didn’t know what we were going to do with it. Too good to throw away and his dogs had trashed his wooden one. This one is metal and they can just scratch it up.

DONNA FAYE I hope your shoulder heals quickly. You have attacked the exercise with a vengeance. Slow down a little and ease back in. I am talking to myself also when I tell you that so don’t get mad at me. I bet little Fortune really misses Marty for a little bit anyway.

JEAN OH ~ so they thought you were the bank robbers returning to the scene. Hope they catch the bad guys. There are more and more robberies I have been hearing about lately. Economy gets bad and the robberies increase.

SUSAN & GAIL Howdy

See y'all here when you get here. Type at y'all later. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #2  

Good evening, ladies. Just a quick one tonight because I'm on a borrowed laptop. We are in Lancaster, PA to shop the next 2 days then on to Hershey for the Quilt Odessy Quilt Show. Be back late Sunday so I'll catch up with you Monday.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #3  

Maggie -- How did your corn turn out? At least Beanie didn't have food scraps to dump out of your wastebasket and drag around. When we got out of our meeting at church it actually felt a little cooler and less humid outside. Maybe the weather is finally going to shape up!

Susan -- Have a wonderful time shopping and at the quilt show! Eat a Hershey Kiss for me!

Last edited by Jean; 07-28-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 AM   #4  

Good morning gals! I sure wish I could turn around Fortune's clock. He gets up at the same time every morning and is insistent in going out so I have to schlepp downstairs and let him out then I just give up going back to sleep. He is sitting behind me right now and I know he wants me to feed him. Like a bad mother, I gave in and fed him around 4:30 yesterday as I was tired and cranky.

Looks like I have to send some of the stuff I ordered back. The one shirt I couldn't even get my arms into even though the site gives chest and hips measurements and I chose the size that was closest to my own so back it goes as well as the two capri pants which they sent me long pants so I have to send them back and get them to send the capris now. Hopefully they will get back there and come back to me in time. I also ordered a pair of sandals from Penneys and though they were not cheap in price were cheap in quality and didn't fit so they have to go back too. I may take them to my local Penney's and get a refund on them and just go and get a pair in town somewhere or forget it completely.

I have gotten nothing done the last few days and am a big grouch because of it. The heat and humidity are really oppressive here right now and the upstairs is so warm except in the bedroom where the ac unit is that it makes it hard to work up there. I don't want to clean downstairs as we are going to shampoo carpets this weekend from Marty being here so I see no sense in doing double work and having to go back and remop the linoleum after going back and forth from wet carpets on it. All in all, I feel a big grump on top of the fact the female stuff is rearing its ugly head again making me grumpy, hungry all the time and uncomfortable. Like Jack said yesterday, "I just need a vacation."

Thought you might like to see a couple beautiful photos from their Alaskan cruise. My son in law is quite the photographer. Kelly said the weather wasn't bad either 60's and 70's. I am sure she is excited to start her new job on Monday. I hope she loves it. I know when she worked for Alsac/St Judes before she enjoyed it though what she is doing now is much much different.

Keeping our fingers crossed that the SUV will be ready today. I guess the glitch was that every time they ordered a ford part using the vin number, they would send a part for a different vehicle so he was having to order each part twice to get the right one. Jack called last night and the lady at the repair place said they had finally gotten the last part yesterday and it should be ready today. I hope so, I want my car back and give the rental back to Enterprise.

You gals have a great weekend. Lots of errands this weekend as I need to send everything back and try and get you gals your slippers finally. I have to find envelopes to send them in and I have a birthday gift that has to go out to and get a birthday card to go with it. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icebergs.jpg (19.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mendanhall glacier.jpg (15.8 KB, 6 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a nice 68 degrees with a slight breeze this morning. The humidity is hanging in there and the 90s will arrive this afternoon. I'm making a grocery list and will head there as soon as I finish here. There will be 15 of us at the cabin tomorrow so am making a couple salads and taking the meat. I should bake something but my baking skills are sadly lacking these days. I need to finish dusting and vacuuming too.

"Gma" -- Maybe Fortune won't get up so early at Kelly's house. Does he sleep with them? Things that don't fit and have to be sent back are a pain in the you-know-where! I sometimes just donate them to the SOS store rather than go through the hassle of sending them back. Postage has gotten so high it's ridiculous! Speaking of which, they are talking about sending our mail to Des Moines to be sorted. That's at least a 3 hour drive to the po there. Now it goes to Fort Dodge which is a little over an hour. They claim it won't make any difference in local delivery, but I find that hard to believe. You will get caught up on your cleaning . . . remember you are the Queen of Clean! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's hard to believe there is snow and ice up there when it's so hot here.

I need to keep moving but wanted to check in here first. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy whatever you are going to do today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. Will is out doing some shopping and the dogs are napping and here I am. We are gathering up all those dried fruits for the Pammican. I think we will have to go to the health food store for the markets don't carry all that I need. I got a good laugh when he came in awhile ago with some things he had gotten in the store from my list. On the table was sitting a can of baking powder and I picked it up and said with a smile, "this makes two new cans I now have." He replied that it was on my list. Oh it wasn't. He pulled out the list and where he said he thought it was listed was actually baking potatoes. He had to go out to a different store to finish out the list and put bakers back on the list. Schwan man came today and we now have steaks and such in the freezer.

DONNA FAYE I am sorry you don't feel up to exact but this too shall pass. You are going to win that battle with Fortunes feeding time but it will takes some work. Don't sabatauge the work you have already done on him by giving in. Little scudder needs to reset his am clock. The food you cook for him is just so good he wants it early. That is dreadful that your new clothes weren't what you expected and you have to go through the hastle of returning the order. Is there someplace in your area where you can shop for those items? I was so sad when the Fashion Bug closed down in this town for it had some nice large sized clothing.

JEAN I haven't done anything with that dried corn yet but plan on doing it today. I just didn't get around to it yesterday as planned but I will let you know how it turns out. Sounds like you will have a fun group at the cabin. Maybe you could pick up something from the bakery that would replace a homemade goodie. Cookies are always a pleaser for kids and chocolate eclairs for the adults. You know I am kidding about the eclairs but they are good. WW puts out some that aren't too shabby though come to think of it.

SUSAN & GAIL A good "howdy" to you this day. I know Susan is out of town but what are you up to this day Gail?

Have a wonderful Friday, Magnolias. The weekend is upon us. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-29-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #7  

Maggie -- It is cooling down tonight so it will be a good night to have the bedroom window open. However, tomorrow and Sunday are both supposed to be in the high 90s and high humidity. I would just as soon stay home where it is cool than sit and sweat at the cabin. Oh well . . . . I'm glad you had a nice weather day today. I've had things written on my grocery list and forget them! Now I cross things off as I put them in my basket. You are so lucky Will does your shopping for you. I need to give the bathroom the once over before I head to bed. Have a nice weekend!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We just got back from eating at our favorite Mexican place. Our waiter (he is ours because he always waits on us when we are there) surprised me tonight when he asked me if I could bring him some of my Chili Verde next tine I make it. His mom used to make it back in Mexico and he is homesick for a bowl of it. I certainly will do that for him. A long time ago Will had said that I make good Chili Verde and he rememberd having that conversation with us. I made the little 1 oz bars of Pemmican today and the recipe made 40 at 2P+ each. Will & I both like them so the hunting of the ingredients and the making of them is well worth it. I have them all wrapped in foil and in the freezer. I used my hand crank meat grinder to do the job. Time got away from me and I didn't get to finish with that sun dried corn. Tomorrow for that. I have several things on my "to do" list for tomorrow but I can get them done. I cut out a blurb about a book I wanted and Will said he would look for it for he can always find what I want for less than it says it sells for. He got it today and it origionally said it sells for is $29.22 an he found it for $11.99. The title is Planet Barbecue! by Steven Raichlen. It sports 309 recipes from 60 different countrys ~ published in 2010. A great journey around the world's barbecue trail. I opened it randomly and wouldn't you know up came a picture of octopus legs being grilled with Greek herbs. YIKES. But alas, there are recipes in it I will certainly try but not that one. I will have fun reading through this book for sure.

JEAN It will be warmer here also tomorrow and Sunday. It was low 90's today and tomorrow will jump up to the high 90's as well Sunday. Monday will just be more of that same trend. Hot. I do feel blessed that Will will do the shopping. I make out the list and he re-arranges it to how the store has things and does well to get most things on it most of the time. Hope it isn't too hot afterall for your trip.

Everyone have a nice evening. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 07-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Today and tomorrow is shampoo carpets and clean house day. I also have a bunch of errands to do this morning but have to wait for our dang post office to open at 10. Yep, that's right ladies, I am mailing out your slippers today. As I told Gail, if you find they are a bit too small, wet them in cold water, wring them out then put a flat style pair of shoes or flat Keds type tennies inside them and let them dry that way. Hopefully the will fit you though.

I am pooped this morning at Fortune drove me crazy last night. Jack and I stayed up until around 11 to watch a movie and then went to bed. From 2 am on Fortune would bark at me (I ended up staying downstairs) I let him out, I gave up and fed him around 4:30, that still didn't satisfy him. Seemed like everytime I would doze off he would bark at me. By 7:30 Jack had come downstairs and I gave up and decided to just get the day started.

I have to go to Penny's and return the crappy sandals I ordered. They weren't cheap, but they are cheaply made and don't fit properly so back they go, have to go to the post office, then to the grocery store to get milk and bread and diet mountain dew for Jack. I am making "fried" chicken for dinner tonight so am thawing it out in salted ice water too. Before I go I am going to go into the dining area and vacuum so Jack can shampoo that rug while I am gone then we will do the living room one tomorrow. It is too hot to do both of them on one day.

Not much else going on it my part of the world. Have a good one today and stay cool and dry. Faye
Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #10  

PS: Your slippers are now winging their way to you, or in this case USPS first classing their way to you so you should have them sometime next week!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said that it will only get up to 98 degrees this day. We will be grilling steaks outside on the Webber and I have a couple of those wrapped bakers to do in the microwave. A nice salad will go with it also. Interesting about that Pemmican ~ it is very filling. I ate a 1 oz - 2P+ piece earlier this day and that and coffee is all I have had here at 2 o'clock I am not hungry. It has been so long since I had made any I wonder why I waited. Glad I had my ole handy dandy food grinder. A power food for sure. In a bit when I finish here I am going to finish with that parched corn. I have been having fun going through and reading the stories about the recipes in that Planet Barbecue book this morning. Oh, I did order that tarantula this morning also. The clerk was surprised when he pulled up the number of what it was I was ordering. He said with incredulous in his voice, "Are you sure for that is the tarantula." "Yep, looks just like Melanie, a live one I used to have." He laughed and said, "Oh, look all of its legs move independently." It is going to be so cute when I get it. It works on smooth floors, so here in my office and the kitchen and diningroom are the smooth surfaces in this house. I will just play with it in here and keep it up on a shelf above my desk. My daughter also wants one. If she hasn't bought one by Christmas maybe I will get one for her. I have already gotten her a beautiful hand beaded necklace that she will just love I am sure. It is a very pretty piece. She is one of those people that is easy to buy for. Will is making her a leather bag. Look at me, already talking about Christmas. But ya know, it will be here before we know it. I also ordered a new professional hand mixer that is has a 240-watt motor. It comes with flat beaters, dough hooks and a baloon whisk. It has a rotational speed of 540 to 1,200 rpm and can reduce blending time in half. I really need it because the one I have had for years and years burned out. So I am getting a toy and a replacement tool for the kitchen.

DONNA FAYE It is hard to re-train a dog when you aren't feeling up to par. Dogs can be so single minded. Was there something going on outside to keep your little one upset. Some animal (or human) going through the area could do that. He may have been being a "watch dog" and you didn't know it and it frustrated him. There, now I am a dog psychologist. Only the Shadow knows. Remember that old program? Hope you got your errands done and are cool now. That's a bummer your sandals didn't work out for you. Have you seen the ones in the Foot Smart catalog? They have some real nice looking ones that are made well. At least all that I have ordered from them I have been well satisfied with. Their sandals are good quality.

JEAN & SUSAN & GAIL Howdy to all of you lovely ladies. I am off to get something accomplished this day that needs to be done.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. Just a short post this morning as I need to hop to getting the living room rug vacuumed so Jack can shampoo first thing this morning before it gets too hot. It is major sticky outside this morning as we had a thunder boomer yesterday evening that dumped rain but not cooler temps on us.

I am going to put off the actual cleaning of the house until tomorrow as it makes no sense trying to dodge and weave Jack while he is shampooing and then trying and get a nice dinner going and cleaning that up, etc.

I got all the errands ran yesterday but came home all sweaty. The shops and stores are trying to save money and so they crank the temp of their ac up. I was in the post office, which was barely even cool, then Penneys and it wasn't that cool either and finally Krogers, which I knew to be a bit warmer. I did get all the mailing done and took back the sandals and got a few groceries that we needed.

Well I see Jack is up and making his breakfast so I need to do the same. TTFN Faye

Last edited by gma22; 07-31-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another hot day here in the Heartland. We went out to eat at Mocas after church and I had a chicken panini without the sauce. They make excellent sandwiches. I have a roast in the crock pot with chopped garlic and a packet of dry onion soup mix slathered all over the top that will be good for dinner with some home-made tortillas. Not much going on this day except chruch. I am in my office with the ceiling fan and a floor fan whirring the air condition air around sipping on a sf ff latte from our favorite place that we had the sandwich at. They were training a new girl and watching closely to make it just like I like it and violla ~ she did a great job. Even if it wasn't quite as good as the regular gal who makes it I wasn't going to say anything because I don't want to shake her confidence. But as it was she did a great job.

DONNA FAYE Looks like it is just you and me here this day. Hope you got the cleaning done you planned on. It is sure nice that Jack pitches in and helps you so much. Both of you are sure doing well in your weight loss efforts. You go girlfriend. Down the road to thin.

GAIL ~ JEAN ~ SUSAN Hope all is well with the three of you this day and you are enjoying what you are doing and the folks you are with.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-31-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am issuing a complaint about the humidity! (as if that will do any good) The temperature is down a bit, but the humidity is so thick outside. Our heat index tonight is 96! We have a heat advisory until 8:00 tomorrow night. We are supposed to go to a ball game tomorrow night in Sioux Falls -- maybe it will be too hot for them to play.

Yesterday our family was at the lake with 6 members of Bob's brother's family. Beth, Maddy, and Kolby stayed here last night and headed home this morning. We went to church and then back up to the lake. It was hotter and more humid today; much "cooler" sitting outside with a hot breeze than inside. We came home around suppertime and I headed for the shower. I am tired and heading off to bed. I have a busy few days ahead and I'm even more tired thinking about them!

"Gma" -- I'm sorry Fortune gave you a hard time. Maybe he could sense something going on outside like Maggie suggested. Does it take a long time for your carpet to dry with the high humidity? That is a good job to have done. I am anxiously waiting for my slippers! I'm sorry your sandals weren't what you thought they would be; I sent some back to Lands End at the beginning of the summer and gave my online evaluation. I thought sure they wouldn't print it but they did.

Maggie -- I'm glad you are enjoying the Pemmican; it sounds like it's a lot of work to make. You are smart to think of Christmas ideas early. Where does your daughter live? A new mixer, what fun you will have with that!

I am heading to bed! Have a marvelous Monday and enjoy whatever you will be doing. Stay cool!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. Please put my sister Alberta in your prayers or on a prayer list if you belong to one. She is currently in the ICC unit of the hospital. She hurt her hip on Friday, but when they took her to the ER the doctor found that she only had a 70% oxygen level. She told my sister there was no way she could go home. Come to find out she now has congestive heart disease, her lungs are full of fluid, and the diuretics they had her on to help combat both the fluid on the lungs and around her heart were messing with her kidneys. She is in a lot of pain from the hip, but they have her on both morphine and vicodan. Unfortunately, this woman has been on c-pap for several years now, and why because she smokes and won't give it up!!!

We finished up all the carpets, but I decided not to clean until this morning as I made a mess cooking dinner yesterday. Today I will tackle it.

Jean: Your slippers will be coming in a large manilla envelope. Sounds like the trip to the lake wasn't much fun. Does that mean the cabin doesn't have ac? It is wet and sticky here also. I let Fortune out at 4 and you could almost feel it on your skin. Jack looked at Branson's temps and they were hot and sticky also. We still have about 7 weeks until we go, but at this rate I don't see it being much better.

Well I hear Jack up and around. He is going to be down soon and always likes to play free cell when he eats his cereal. You all have a great day. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 08-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.