Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Been MIA from 3FC since the beginning of my pregnancy.

Hey everyone, I am going to go ahead and get back to 3FC, because I am almost 30 weeks pregnant and just got diagnosed with gestational diabetes ( I failed the 2 hr by 2 pts) and i'm not very happy. But i have gained over 30 lbs so far and still have a little over 10 weeks to go.

I plan on breastfeeding and hoping the little bugger being out of me helps my body be less insulin resistant, and the extra metabolism from bf helps me slim down even more.

Right now I'm at 218 lbs. Gah that number seems so huge. Never thought i'd weigh over 200 lbs in my whole life!

i find it very hard to breathe because he is really compressing my lungs, but my exercise is to walk up 2 flights of stairs with a 20 lb book bag on my back...2x week. plus a fast 1/4 mile walk with it too. it's the best i can do right now.

Really mad i have to be treated like a diabetic. i HATE diabetes. but, i guess it's a good idea to know what my blood sugar is doing...so i can get to the bottom of my weight loss.

Thanks for the support.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back! I find that checking in here keeps me from that whole "I'm pregnant, life is a buffet" mentality that I had last pregnancy. I may not eat perfectly and indulge more than I should, but 3FC is a constant reminder to try and be good where I can (which is really hard some days!) Hope the remainder of your pregnancy is healthy and uneventful!
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i had GD with my DD. It really wasn't that bad. As long as i avoided sweets my blood sugar was always within range, i bet yours would be too since you only failed by 2 points. However i did learn that if you have GD (i was 24 at the time) you had a 50% higher chance of getting regular diabetes by age 40. So.... at 35... i'm finally losing weight

my baby wasn't big and had no ill effects from the GD, neither did i. GD goes away within hours of delivery.

i remember being Soooooooooooooooooo good on my diet (frist time pregnant, i was horrified i had GD) so the day before i ended up having her i splurged on a piece of chocolate pie knowing my levels would probably be hight the next day-well that was the day i ended up having her. The nurse tsk tsk'ed me, of course not believing i had been perfect up til the day before!!!

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiloots View Post
Welcome back! I find that checking in here keeps me from that whole "I'm pregnant, life is a buffet" mentality that I had last pregnancy. I may not eat perfectly and indulge more than I should, but 3FC is a constant reminder to try and be good where I can (which is really hard some days!) Hope the remainder of your pregnancy is healthy and uneventful!
I find this to be true for me too. I've kept up daily weighing (well, when I'm not traveling at least) and I still try to limit sugar, friend foods etc. I really try and focus on eating until I'm full and getting in enough fruit and veggies.

BTW, have you seen the Brewer's diet? Especially since you have GD it might be very useful for you. I start my morning with A LOT of eggs and I find if I don't get enough in (or enough protein in general) I'm certainly much worse. Good luck to you and enjoy your third trimester!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Welcome back jen. It's good to be here. I have to be honest, it's even harder to remain on track after the baby is born because you are completely exhausted, probably starving (some women are ravenous when nursing), and sometimes can't even go to the bathroom let alone prepare a good meal.

I also gained +40lbs from the pregnancy = buffet mentality. I guess it's a rookie mistake, LOL.

Just do whatever exercise you can. It's hard to breathe in 3rd trimester and sometimes you can't make 1/2 mile without having to pee. Take it easy and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy while being mindful of your food intake

Good luck, I remember you posting your positive pregnancy test, and you are already at 30 weeks. Amazing isn't it!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6  

Default re:

Thanks Sacha! Yeah, i couldn't believe it I was so shocked, and now I am 30 weeks with my little man. How's your baby doing? I hope the bf spike in metabolism minus the added insulin resistance of pregnancy will help me take the weight off. Plus, I will be starting a light weight regimen to help my body uptake the blood sugar.

So far I haven't been completely avoiding unhealthy foods. I have been having a 1/2 cup of ice cream here and there. My day time 2 hr blood sugars have all been good. i have completely cut out hydration with anything but water. I will drink a glass of tea or something with my meals...but no in between meals stuff. I was drinking watered down juice in between meals..before being dx .but i think that added to the problem. My finger sticks have all been below 140, but my fasting continue to be in the 100s. So I'm not in denial any more.

except one instance where I ate a sucker and an apple before I tested, whew. 174. won't do that again. I also learned I get shaky if my blood sugar is in the 80s.

I'm starting to feel ravenous when hungry. Believe it or not, a pb and jelly sandwhich made with whole wheat high fiber/high protein and Omega 3 pb and cherry all fruit, keeps me feeling the most steady. Especially when I have clinicals. i will look at the brewer's diet. But i am wary of radical change. So I will probably stick to watching what I eat.

Thanks for being there!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I gained 17 pounds before my first OBGYN appointment because I was just so nauseous. The only time I felt good was when I was eating and only foods I normally avoid (pasta, rice, ice cream). Now I've gain another 3 after that but every freaking doctor that does an ultrasound remarks that I should get tested for GD (duuuuuh. Do you think my OB is going to skip that test?). So I am a bit freaked out about the test. I take it March 17th.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #8  

Goddess don't be freaked. They told me to fast 8 hrs. But others were told 12 hrs. I would do the 12 hrs. I gained alot of weight from having to eat to keep the nausea down too.

I hope all goes well for you!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220.6/tick/135.0

Height: 5' 5"

I disappeared from this site as well as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Now that I am 26 weeks along, I am thinking about losing my pregnancy weight and thinking maybe I should start curtailing my eating now so it is not so bad later.

With my first pregnancy, I weighed 250 lbs when I delivered my son. Not gonna get THAT heavy again, but I guess I should start to think about making good choices (now that I've had my fun!).
lindalee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
I gained 17 pounds before my first OBGYN appointment because I was just so nauseous. The only time I felt good was when I was eating and only foods I normally avoid (pasta, rice, ice cream). Now I've gain another 3 after that but every freaking doctor that does an ultrasound remarks that I should get tested for GD (duuuuuh. Do you think my OB is going to skip that test?). So I am a bit freaked out about the test. I take it March 17th.
I was uber nauseous most of my pregnancy and also perpetually starving...ate like a horse (couldn't help it - I was HUNGRY!!!) and I did not have GD (I was afraid I would!)

My advice is to (with a Doctor's OK) do gentle exercise like walking, swimming...low-impact you know? I did that, which I think helped me stay healthy. I even rode a bicycle up until the belly got too big to fit behind the handlebars hahah!!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #11  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking I could have written this post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalee9 View Post
I disappeared from this site as well as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Now that I am 26 weeks along, I am thinking about losing my pregnancy weight and thinking maybe I should start curtailing my eating now so it is not so bad later.

With my first pregnancy, I weighed 250 lbs when I delivered my son. Not gonna get THAT heavy again, but I guess I should start to think about making good choices (now that I've had my fun!).
I am now 29 weeks preggo and haven't been to 3FC in at least as much time..... I have gained 35 lbs so far and hope to keep it under 50 lbs at this point.... I have pretty much been eating what I feel like.... EEK! Was thinking I should probably start curtailing that now! I am looking forward to being able to head back to WW as well..... I have been feeling pretty unhealthy lately....

I have been exercising maybe 1-2 per week, but not much... the only positive is I am a nurse so i work on my feet for hours! I did cut down to part-time though so that is decreased now too......

I am glad to see that i am not the only one ready to get back to a healthy lifestyle.... I wonder about tracking points now just not limiting them to get back in the groove of writing everything down.... Hmmmmmmmm-

Thoughts?

I hope everyone's pregnancy is is going well! I can't wait to meet my little Willy!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote