Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #1  

Default Unable to Lose Weight after Cervical Disc Fusion

Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new poster, but really need some help/advice. I have just had my second cervical fusion surgery. I had the first one several years ago and gained about 80 pounds. It took me over a year to lose it, but it did come off. This time, I have gained about 70 pounds. My surgery was more serious and I spent more time in the hospital this time. That was 5 months ago. I am 5'4" and in my mid thirties.

At the beginning of June I weighed 218.5. I decided to start counting calories and drinking at least 2 liters of water a day. At first I was at about 1300 - 1400 per day. Now, for the last week, I have reduced it to no more than 1200 per day. I weigh everything and keep track meticulously in a spreadsheet. After a month of doing this, my weight is 217.5.

I am mostly sedentary, resting my neck, often reading. However, I go up and down the stairs more than 10 times a day. I do physical therapy at least twice a week for 1.5 hours each time, including cardio and weights.

I am still on a low level muscle relaxant and don't know if this is preventing weight loss, but by the calories in and calories out theory I should be losing something! Last surgery, when I was eating about 1100-1200 and I had dropped down to the 150's - 160's, I was able to lose eating that much. It stands to reason that at this much heavier weight I should be able to lose.

I am so frustrated and miserable about this. I don't look like myself and am getting depressed. Does anyone have any advice about what to do?

Thanks!

Ava
Ava W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont have any real good answers for you but i just wanted to send a hug for the back problems and pain...i've dealt with back problems since i was a teenager and took a bad fall on a trampoline...for a couple years, i also was very limited mobility, walked with a cane, took medications while going through treatments for all my back problems...luckily i'm through all that and better now but still.... i sure can sympathize
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #3  

Thanks for the hugs! I am pretty frustrated with the whole thing. My doctor is ordering bloodwork to see if anything else is going on, but I am worried I am going to have to do some very low calorie diet in order to even get this weight to move and I'm not sure how that will impact my healing process. Sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place
Ava W is offline   Reply With Quote