Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Default Diet sodas don't help with dieting

I actually never drank diet pop until a couple of months ago when I found coke zero and fell in love The fact that aspartame actually elevated blood sugar in mice was very interesting.

What do you guys think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43565093...and_nutrition/
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #2  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

http://getfitslowly.com/2008/02/12/t...-of-diet-soda/

I've seen a few here who drink diet. I try not to push my opinion where it isn't wanted but you asked. Yu know how things say fat free or low fat, don't always go by that look at the back and really read between the lines. Just because it says DIET soda doesn't mean it's healthier. I think they are both extremely bad for anyone.

I was a coke addict and before that a Mountain Dew addict. In 09 I was working 12-16 hours a day. Hard work too. I seriously was drinking 8-12 mountain dews a shift. I still lost some weight, only because I never sat down but I could had been so much healthier that year. This year it's been 3 or 4 cherry cokes a day- not diet. I stopped, I just quit one week. The weight started falling off and I started this journey. About 3 weeks into it I decided I was going to treat myself to a coke, it was DISGUSTING. So sweet and just ugh. Felt like straight syrup mixed with tons of sugar sliding down my throat.

My point is, I think they're both horrible. And if I can quit drinking soda- anyone can! almost 3 months free of that horrid addiction. I did keep drinking tea so I wouldn't get horrible caffeine headaches. And I still have 1 or 2 glasses of sweet tea a day and the rest water, occasional milk. It's nice not having the crash from sugars and caffeine in the cokes.

I'd say if you can or even want to stay away from it all.

And just for fun, here is the ingredients in coke zero that you're drinking.
http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being...calorie-sodas/

If you're going to continue drinking coke, I'd stick to no diet stuff.

Last edited by ButterCup85; 06-29-2011 at 09:01 AM.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I don't drink very many coke zeros, maybe 2 a week. I think I will switch back to regular if I feel the desire to have one. I actually avoided aspartame for years and years, it has only been in the past couple months that I have been allowing it in my diet, sparingly. Water and unsweet iced tea are my usual everyday drinks of choice.

I had a horrible addiction to Mountain Dew in my early 20s. The first time I went to the dentist after probably 5 years of not going she asked me if I drank Mountain Dew because of the condition of my teeth!
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm a bit of an oddball that I never drank soda ("pop" where I'm from) until I started watching my weight as a teenager. Then I'd go for the diet stuff when I wanted something sweet, and frankly Tab (this was the 70s) was pretty awful so wasn't tempted to have a second one.

These days I pretty much continue to use diet pop the same way, not something I drink regularly but do have it when I just must have something sweet. My beau cringes that I ONLY choose the ones with Aspartame though, which he considers poisin.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Diet sodas were developed for people with diabetes, they were not intended for weight loss. Diet sodas are filled with crap, artifical sweeterners, preservatives and what have you. They bring nothing of nutrional value.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

To each their own!

I have soda -maybe- four times a year...-maybe-. Regular soda is too sweet for me, and I don't like drinking calories. The rest of the time it's good ol' fashioned water for me!

So, every once in a grand while I drink Polar Diet Orange Dry, or Polar Diet Birch Beer. When I'm laying on my death bed, diet soda is not going to be something I regret.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've dieted with artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and diet sodas - and I've dieted without them (sometimes giving up one, sometimes giving up all three), and I've found no difference with my weight loss. In my experience my calorie level, my activity level, (and to a lesser degree, my carb level) has more to do with my degree of weight loss than whether or not I use caffeine or artificial sweeteners (or specifically diet sodas).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-29-2011 at 03:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

As a former diet cherry pepsi JUNKIE topping 2 liters per day, I could say a thing a two about this subject. I have lost weight in the past while addicted to diet soda and drinking it to excess, but never as fast and as steady as I've done most recently, when I've finally beaten the addiction. Now...I have 1-2 cans every couple of months. My skin is much clearer, my digestive system more regular and my cravings are almost non-existent and, uhhhh...I've lost 60 lbs without stall or difficulty within the past 9 months!

YES...to me..IMHO, there is a BIG DIFFERENCE.

Point here...just about anything's ok in moderation. Too much of a good thing....is BAD!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 06-29-2011 at 03:41 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #9  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I avoid artificial sweetners for the most part, there are things in it that I've noticed slowed down my own personal weight loss. However, when I go out with friends for drinks, I do get gin and Diet coke a lot. I've noticed it helps with the calories and it's been helping with the weight loss so far. I love my friends, I love getting drinks with them. (Now I nurse one drink that's wine or a diet soda and rum/whiskey/gin/etc).
Also, when we go out for ice cream, I'll get just a diet soda. It's something sweet and enjoy, something that doesn't make me feel depraved, AND no calories. I just try not to have them THAT often.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #10  
Happy Member

I lost weight, and now I am maintaining that weight loss.

I like diet sodas, and drink one whenever I want one. They did not hinder my weight-loss, or my maintenance.

I think the key is moderation.

However, if you think that diet drinks are the devil's brew - then by all means avoid them. That just means there are more diet drinks for me!
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

We don't really keep pop in the house. Partially because it's healthy this way, but also because it is so much cheaper to keep it out of the house!
I still buy lightly sweetened iced tea for hubby since he doesn't like to drink water straight. For myself it is: water, tomato juice, coffee or milk these days. Once in a while some wine.

The idea of pop in general to me is horrible! It is horrible for our bodies and very expensive when compared to other options. When pop was first made it was meant to be used as a treat. Not something that people drink tons and tons of each day.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #12  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I've only recently started drinking diet soda. I don't do it often because I just don't like artificial sweeteners. I hate the after taste. I've still been losing weight. I think beating my turkey hill tea addiction was what has really helped me.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I've heard all the talk about how bad diet soda is, but I love it so much I still drink it. Usually 2 or 3 cans per day. I saw an article recently on Mayo Clinic's website. The link I have now has a different story there, but here are the quotes that stood to me in the original article:

"The sweet taste could also trigger your body to produce insulin, which blocks your ability to burn fat."

and

"Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you," writes Katherine Zeratsky, a nutritionist at the Mayo Clinic. "The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer."

I love my caffeine free Diet Pepsi, but am considering trying to cut back to one per day to see if it makes any difference. I'm having trouble getting to goal and I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/ 228/ 145

Height: 5'2''

I was a diet coke addict- but not because I like pop, I "needed" the caffeine and don't like coffee. I tried substituting with diet green tea- but it's just too sweet. I tried regular brewed green tea and don't like the taste much.

THEN.... Then I found this water... just plain water... with caffeine in it. I can't remember what it's called but it comes in almost a pyramid shaped bottle. It's AMAZING... I get my caffeine fix and am still drinking plain water

I had the same issue then, as Buttercup85 where I tried drinking diet coke again one day... and... I couldn't even finish the can, it was AWFUL!!!

My opinion... as an occasional treat go ahead and indulge.. but if you have a daily habit, there's no way it's healthy and it's best just to try and find a healthy substitute. Pop is ADDICTIVE and not good for you in any form... try something else to replace it.

Whew... that was long-winded! Haha
SaraWrites03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 267/196/127

Height: 5'1

I was never into diet sodas actually. Maybe if I try now I may like it, but when I was young, it tasted bad and I just never bought diet anything. Now I don't drink any sodas. And yes, it's surprising to read that aspartame increases blood sugar. I DEFINITELY won't consume anything with aspartame now!
misski is offline   Reply With Quote