Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #1  
Beginner

S/C/G: 225/215/150

Height: 5'6

Default My story! ...and need some help...

Hello everyone!
I kind of feel like I just need to say what's on my mind, but I am also looking for some advice.

I am 21. I will be 22 in July. I am married to a generally amazing man and have 2 dogs. I am 215 lbs and 5'6.
I maintained a constant weight of around 205 throughout high school. I lost about 10lbs during my first year of college (currently on my 4th year) and stayed at around a size 14 until the end of 2009. I never thought I was fat before, but I was insecure. In September of 2009, I had a herniated disc in my back which had me in extreme pain for months. It wasn't until February 2010 that the disc finally healed up. In that 5 month timeframe, I gained 30 lbs. I also got engaged in February 2010. I was so embarassed when I had to go buy new clothing. I ended up not going up one size, but 2 to a size 18.

I hate my engagement pictures. Not only did my hair decide to do some weird frizz thing, but I was fat. I couldn't even lie to myself anymore. I decided I was going to lose weight before my wedding in December and got gym membership which I never used. In October, after meeting with my PCP about my Metabolic Syndrome, he suggested trying Phentermine to help me lose some weight before my wedding. That worked wonders. I was never hungry, I felt the desire to work out more. I lost 30 lbs and when I tried on my wedding dress, It was a little big! I was elated. Of course I stopped taking it and gained it all back. I knew it was going to happen so i'm not suprised, but it's still disappointing.

My husband is in the Air Force and is in great shape. He eats whatever he wants whenever he wants and doesn't gain a thing. Right now he is making a "snack" which is a stack of chocolate chip pancakes.

Regardless of how much weight I want to lose, my end goal is that I want to be able to run a marathon with him. I don't care when it happens, but I want to be able to do it someday.
Something else to note about me, I HATE RUNNING. I think running is horrible on the body. I think it's dreadfully boring. I hate everything about it. ...but I still want to run a marathon...

The main thing I have a problem with when it comes to weightloss and/or dieting is boredom eating. I literally sit around at home all day with no job, no friends, no school, NOTHING. I live in DC and it's awfully hot and humid here somedays which makes me dread going outside. I eat constantly when my husband is not home. I get bored and before I even realized what happened, I could have a bowl of icecream downed. If my husband doesn't have any icecream laying around, it could be a bowl of cereal, a few slices of bread, some crackers, whatever is there whether I like it or not. I don't know how to battle this problem. If anyone has any advice, I would really love to hear it. I literally eat without thinking. It's as if my body sabotages itself. I LITERALLY do NOT realize I am getting, making, and/or eating food. How do I stop this blind eating?

I could be going really good on a diet. I would get up and make a healthy breakfast, eat a lunch to die for, and then, after my husband comes home for lunch and goes back to work, something happens. I forget everything. I will be watching tv and then the next thing I know, I will have a plate of chicken nuggets sitting in my lap while I wonder why my dog is all over me. I have tried to conciously think about what I am doing and there are times that I will realize I am eating and instantly realize what is happening and stop, but it's so annoying! How do I cure this boredom eating problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone reading this. I feel like I really need the support and I really need to tell my story. I think there are many people who can probably relate. So glad I found this forum!
MeMyselfandI712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

This isn't the only solution you need, but I say for goodness sake's get out of the house! If you don't have school this summer try to get a part-time job or even volunteer somewhere. There are tons of free things to do in DC also so even if you can't get a job or whatever you can find things to do all day long that will get you away from your pantry. Go to meetup groups or something - anything! Best of luck in keeping yourself occupied away from the TV.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Well you have identified the problem and it sounds like you know what to do about it.

So - make like the Nike commercial and just do it!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/167/135

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the previous poster...you need to get out of the house! Keep yourself busy! If you keep yourself preoccupied then you will not think of food as much. I know because I'm in the same boat...I'm a stay-home mom and have easy access to my pantry. I to take the kids out all day (now that summer vacation is here) so that I'm not tempted with snacking, etc. I know what you mean with doing great with breakfast and lunch and then when afternoon hits, it's downhill from there. The advice I would give you on that is leave the house at the time when you feel like it really starts to hit when you begin getting cravings...if you don't want to leave the house then stay away from the kitchen. Pick up a project, find a job, hobby, go on the computer...use your spare time excercising etc. It sounds like you have a lot of time in your hands and the only thing left to do is eat.

Hope that helps.

RA
30togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I agree that making plans to get out of the house will help. If you're not there, you won't be eating mindlessly or out of boredom.

Another thing I would suggest is to commit to journaling your food intake. You can do it using an online calorie tracker (there are tons of free ones), or you can just track your intake in Excel or a physical journal. Record every.single.thing you eat, with (at least) the calorie counts for each item, and each day total up your calories. Having to write down your food intake will make you much more aware of what you're eating, and when you see your daily calorie intake over time you'll be able to see what that handful of crackers or bowl of ice cream or plate of nuggest is doing to your waistline. It's slightly painful to do all that recording at first, but it becomes quicker and much more routine over time.

After you've recorded your food intake for a few days, take a look at this calculator (http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/heal...e-calories-bmr) and compare your calorie intake to what your body needs to maintain your weight or lose weight. You'll also see what adding in some activity can do to help.

This is a great place to come if you need additional support. Good luck with all your goals!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #6  
Beginner

S/C/G: 225/215/150

Height: 5'6

I think the hardest thing about "getting out of the house" is that I live on an Air Force Base. I can't just leave my house and have somewhere to go without taking a 30minute drive. I would LOVE to be able to just get out, but if i'm not going to the comissary, then i have no where to go. I know, it sounds like an excuse, but it is a serious problem. If parking wasn't such an issue downtown and if I had unlimited money, I would be all over going downtown to museums and whatnot during the day. The closest metro is 30 minutes from my house. It's very frustrating.
I hate just sitting around, but I feel completely entrapped by the base and I eat to cure the boredom.
It would be so awesome if I could just leave, ya know?
I know, I know, I need to stop with the excuses, but i'm awfully lazy.
I've been looking ridiculously hard for a job but it takes forever for these people to get back to me! I guess I will just suck it up and work it out on my own! Thanks for the feedback everyone.
MeMyselfandI712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #7  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I live in the DC area, and so I understand the challenges of parking and getting around even without living on an AFB. But, if you have the time available and don't have to stick around the house, maybe make a plan to take the car and get out of the house at least one day per week. Skip DC and the associated driving/parking challenges, and head up to Gettysburg for the day to explore the battlefields, or do the ones out by Manasass in VA (along route 29). Head to Shenandoah National Park and take a walk or hike, or do the Skyline Drive. Go to Baltimore and visit the Aquarium and walk around the waterfront. If you want to stick closer to DC, drive to the National Zoo - it costs to park, but the zoo is free. Or go to the Udvar Hazy center out by Dulles - again, it costs to park but the museum is free, and it's WAY cooler and less crowded than the Air & Space museum on the mall. I know it feels stifling outside this time of year, and it makes me feel lazy too... but making plans to get out and do something different and enjoyable will help cure the boredom AND be one day per week when you're not sitting around the house eating.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI712 View Post
I think the hardest thing about "getting out of the house" is that I live on an Air Force Base. I can't just leave my house and have somewhere to go without taking a 30minute drive. I would LOVE to be able to just get out, but if i'm not going to the comissary, then i have no where to go. I know, it sounds like an excuse, but it is a serious problem. If parking wasn't such an issue downtown and if I had unlimited money, I would be all over going downtown to museums and whatnot during the day. The closest metro is 30 minutes from my house. It's very frustrating.
I hate just sitting around, but I feel completely entrapped by the base and I eat to cure the boredom.
It would be so awesome if I could just leave, ya know?
I know, I know, I need to stop with the excuses, but i'm awfully lazy.
I've been looking ridiculously hard for a job but it takes forever for these people to get back to me! I guess I will just suck it up and work it out on my own! Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I am a boredom eater, so I know EXACTLY what you mean. Food is there as entertainment! Even though it's not supposed to be.

Let's pretend getting out of the house weren't an option. There are still things to be done. Do you have hobbies that you can do in the house? Writing, drawing, journaling, crafting, foruming, chatting at the computer, reading a really good book, learning to play the keyboard or doing a work out routine that requires NO outside time. Heck putting in music and dancing around for 15 minutes is still not eating.

Then there are still going to be a couple of days when you can get out of the house. Get out when you can, of course, but fall back on things that require your full attention while you're stuck at the house.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

if i lived in that area, i would probably drive to where there is free parking (outskirts or something?) and then take a city bus to the downtown area that i'd like to hang out in

man i'd LOVE to have as much free time as you have!! i'm jealous!! i've also never lived in a big city like that, so i'd love to just park, take a city bus into the city, and walk around ALL over all by myself! that sounds soooo nice...find a park, read a book, get a cup of coffee and wander around...lol have i mentioned i'm jealous??
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #10  

I'm a boredom eater also. My suggestion is that as soon as you eat your meal/snack, pop a piece of strong-flavored sugar-free gum in your mouth (I love Dentyne Fire). This applies to whatever you are doing - whether you are cleaning house or are out of the house. You then get the flavor you want, chewing motion (I must be pretty oral), and you can't mindless eat - not while you are already chewing.
Mary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #11  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I used to think I was a bordeom eater too. But I realized it was so much more than boredom. In my case, I was feeling empty, hopeless, friendless and food was a major comfort- but it took me a long time to see it. This might not be applicable to you at all, but I might take some time exploring other thoughts/feelings you have when you catch yourself doing the unconscious boredom eating. Write it down, look for patterns, the times of the day when it happens, what things happen right before. Doing this really helped give me some insight. The answer to "Why am I eating this? What am I feeling?" could legitimately be boredom, but maybe there's something else there too. For me, working out some of this was a major step in the right direction.

Changing up your environment like the other posters have mentioned is great advice too! Finding a good project around the house always helps distract me in the afternoons .

Keep at it!

ETA: LOVE the suggestion of putting on music and dancing around! I know what I'm doing for the next 15 minutes...

Last edited by tuende; 06-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote