View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Renwomin

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default How do you deal with MAJOR stress?

Eight months ago I was almost under 200 pounds. (I barely didn't make it into onederland.)

For a while I maintained the weight and then it started creeping slowly back on. Five months ago my mother started having SERIOUS medical problems that was severely debilitating her. Doctors thought she had advanced cancer, then they didn't know what she had. She was finally diagnosed about two months ago with a rare, aggressive, stage 4 cancer. The majority of people treated for this particular cancer do not go into remission.

It probably comes as no surprise that I've been depressed and stressed for months. As one of my mom's care givers my life, work, and schedule has been turned upside down as well.

I've always been an emotional eater and lately modifying/restricting my diet has been the furthest thing from my mind. I've been eating whatever I want whenever I want. I've gained back 33 pounds in 8 months.

I know this needs to stop and I need to get back on track, but I've been too depressed and stressed to snap out of it. I'm even more crunched for time and doing a lot of traveling, so that makes it more difficult for me to make my own meals and exercise. I've faced a lot of hurdles and excuses in the recent past regarding my diet, but this one is taking me down for the count.

With months of treatment and uncertainty in front of me, if I don't find a way to navigate through this I'm going to end up heavier than I've ever been.

I wonder how others have made it through major stress when they have historically relied on food as a stress reliever. How do you deal with major stress like this?