Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 61"

Unhappy eating my emotion

My family is going through a very diffucult time right now and im eating my emotions. my step-dad left my mom and us on thursday. he loaded up the furniture and left without telling anyone. on thursday i didnt eat for over twelve hours and was so hungry I had 4 slices of stuffed crust pizza. The next day I continued my bad eating habits with fast food, donuts, and whatever I could get my hands on.

I don't know how to stop eating my emotions. I have already gained two pounds and I dont want to gain back all of the weight I have lost. I need to know i'm not the only one who does this.....
dj mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You're not the only person who eats when there's an emotional situation going on that's out of their control.

The good news is that you ARE still in control of what you eat during this time. I realize a lot must be going on, but stick to your food plan as closely as possible right now.

again.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: i was 70kgs i am now 64kgs

Height: 5ft 1

Dj i am the same way! if i get upset or down i turn to food for comfort and then its really hard to stop eating that way when you start. I found doing exercise can take the place of comfort eating.

I will go for a jog or a really long power walk and i feel better emotionally afterwards and dont get the urge to comfort eat afterwards. Also having a good cry helps sometimes, i think you shouldnt bottle up what your feeling inside let it out.
Marmot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 322/ticker!/175

Height: 6'1"

This is something I've struggled with for so long. I'm bipolar and have been in the middle of a very serious depressive phase since November, and that's definitely been a struggle with this weight loss. I've spent a lot of time messing up, beating myself up for it, letting myself do it, and round and round. I've also been spending a lot of time just trying to reprogram the way I look at it, lately. When I start getting the urge to eat emotionally I try and remind myself that I've worked too hard and come too far and that while eating that cupcake (or that dozen cupcakes) might make me feel better RIGHT THEN, it wouldn't take very long at all before I know I'd feel like **** for giving into it....

You can do this. Let yourself feel and don't beat yourself up for whatever eating you do, just get through this as best you can.
fullofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 61"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot12 View Post
Dj i am the same way! if i get upset or down i turn to food for comfort and then its really hard to stop eating that way when you start. I found doing exercise can take the place of comfort eating.

I will go for a jog or a really long power walk and i feel better emotionally afterwards and dont get the urge to comfort eat afterwards. Also having a good cry helps sometimes, i think you shouldnt bottle up what your feeling inside let it out.
thanks for the support, i really need it right now. i have been through this before with my bio dad and it was just about 8 years ago, so its still fresh but im having a harder time dealing with this the second time around. I am going to go to the gym tomorrow and work with my trainer. I hope that makes me feel more in control because right now i have no control over what is happening and its killing me because i feel like i have no control over my life or anything else.
dj mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: i was 70kgs i am now 64kgs

Height: 5ft 1

Dj you do have control you have control over your fitness and you have to hang onto that even if everything else around you is going crazy. It will make you feel better believe me to keep up with the gym etc

You cant blame yourself for things that you have no control over like other peoples decisions (they make there own mistakes you cannot correct for them). Yes its sad what has happened but its not your fault and you cant change it. Your incharge of your own life and can change it for the better just remember that.
Marmot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot12 View Post
Dj you do have control you have control over your fitness and you have to hang onto that even if everything else around you is going crazy. It will make you feel better believe me to keep up with the gym etc

You cant blame yourself for things that you have no control over like other peoples decisions (they make there own mistakes you cannot correct for them). Yes its sad what has happened but its not your fault and you cant change it. Your incharge of your own life and can change it for the better just remember that.
What she said! I'm Italian and food is love! Food is comfort! That's how I felt for a long time anyway. Also guilt is a basic Italian emotion. Not a good combo.
I'm sorry that this is happening to your family but what you eat and how you exercise is the one thing you can control. I had a terrible day tuesday, not like yousr of course but bad, and I just coudn't wait to get home and comfort myself with a big bowl of pasta! I didn't do it but realized I have to find another way to comfort myself. You can do this, the 3fc army is behind you!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #8  
is chubby

Sadness and distress is not a free pass for you to ruin your life!
I am sorry for your step dad leaving you. It wasn't in your hands and it must hurt. I wish you get over it soon and sound.
Now to eating crap. That is entirely your fault. Real life tragedy and food do not go on the same equation. After your food-dopamine rush your problems will still be there PLUS MORE POUNDS.

Do NOT exchange your current pain for future worse pain. That is a downhill road and at some point it might stop before you get the chance to recover.

I might sound really nasty and judgemental, but I'm afraid that you might end up ten years older, sicker and having lost a large chunk of your life if you don't face the music.

How is getting fatter going to make your life any better? Will diabetes fix your family issues? You know the anser I hope.

Good luck on your weight loss.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Yep, I've had that struggle and still struggle with it. I don't have answers really, more like suggestions. I see it as letting myself feel the grief, the anxiety, whatever the emotion -- instead of trying to stuff it down. It may seem unbearable and scary and overwhelming. That is usually momentary. The worst will pass and you will be ok and able to handle it.

And there are ways to alleviate the uncomfortableness the emotions can lead to that make you eat, the way others here have mentioned. Turn to friends to talk, or relatives, counselors; journaling/writing. Creative outlets: poetry, writing, painting, dancing. Exercise, physical activity. Even being a part of a group, a church group, volunteer group, activity group (knitting, reading, whatever interest), can be a good way to gain support.

Go out and discover places and things and people around you, art and/or nature.

and remember that you're a strong person, with the ability to handle a whole bunch of stuff, and when you struggle, you know how to use your resources to get the help you need
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #10  

Be Strong! We are all with you!
ThinJessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #11  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

dj Mayhem, my heart goes out to you. Many of us here have had very difficult life struggles and now you're going through something major. I have turned to food for comfort for YEARS. I don't know if I"m done doing that or not, but I am gonna do my absolute best.

I would suggest making up a food plan for one day and stick to it like bees to honey. Don't have anything else at all. Every time you eat something on your list, check it off. Every time you check it off, tell yourself that YOU are in control. No matter what. Then, when you wake up the next morning, do the same thing. Do this every day. It will actually make you feel BETTER!

Imagine how empowered you'll feel if you can stick to a good eating plan while under this kind of stress! You'll realize just how strong you can be when you really set your mind to it! If you want to snack, have some gum ready. If you still want to snack, do some push ups or punch some pillows or take a hot shower. Figure out what kinds of things will get anxiety or sadness out of your soul. Life is all about attitude. I've had some horrible things going on lately and I have finally found my inner strength.

If I can do it, so can you!!!!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote