Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

Default Always on a diet

Hi Ive been dieting since age 13. Ive tried them all and I always get off and gain back all weight ive lost.

I was doing my diet for about 6weeks real good and then bam I just start messing up and have been off for over a week now. I dont understand why I just cant get my eating under control. Its like im either on a diet or WAY OFF, and everytime I start to lose weight and feel good I sabotage myself by getting off plan!! Ive come along ways and everyday I try to stay on plan and then I end up eating something sugary and get off track. Ugh I feel so horrible right now sorry for my little rant
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

*hugs*

Could your plan have been too overwhelming?

It's good you are recognizing it- now it's time to figure out what made you go back to your habits and try to correct it. I know how you feel hubby and I are moving to another state in a few weeks and I've gained a few lbs back from all the stress eating!

I have to remind myself nothing tastes as good as thin feels and today (when I grabbed a Dove chocolate) the wrapper said "Keep the promises you make to yourself" and now I've got it sitting at my desk to remind me that I promised myself I would finish this!

Last edited by beerab; 05-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When you're "on plan", what does that mean? What does it look like? Is it really strict?

A lot of people go back and forth from SUPER strict to "falling off" the wagon - basically, they restrict too much, and then rebel. So what is your plan? What are you eating? Do you enjoy the food you eat when you're on plan? Do you enjoy any exercise you're doing?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

mandalinn82 Those were my thoughts as well.

I think the problem is the word and action of DIET. Whatever you do, it needs to be sustainable. If you are being too strict, your loss will be temporary. Too much exercise or too restrictive with foods. A better plan might be to either start exercising and just eating the same - making that a habit. Or, getting your eating little by little in control and when that's all good, then adding in exercise.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #5  
~Kim~

This is why you have to find a way of doing it that isn't a diet, it's a new way of life. It took me a long long time to learn that.

I used to always think of myself on a diet. Alright, Monday I'm starting my diet! I'd start, do good for however long. Then I'd have something not on my diet and I'd feel like I blew it. So I'd decide, well I blew it today, I might as well enjoy the rest of the day, then it would turn into the rest of the week and sometimes the rest of the month.

Eating right had to become a way of life, the occasional treat had to become a way of life. A bad day had to just be a thing of the past and not a breakdown that would lead to needing a new start. I'm not perfect and I still mess up, but I'm getting there and deciding to never go on a "diet" again has been a big part of how I've come further on this journey then ever before.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Have you also thought about when it is that you fall off your plan? Is there a trigger? Stress? A really good day that gets you to celebrate with food? A time of day that makes you snack more than normal? Learning what sparks the falling can sometimes help you maintain your balance during this journey.

For me, stress and boredom make me eat, and like TooManyDimples once I take one step out of line I too easily just dive right over the cliff. So I've had to find new ways of dealing with these issues. Exercise helps keep my stress in check. As for the boredom, I try to go for a walk, or play a game with my husband, or just take a nap. Anything that doesn't involve going into the kitchen.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote