South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/203/170

Height: 5'6"

Default First week weigh in

Hello all,
Today is day 8 on Phase 1 and also my first week's weigh in, I'm down 4.4! Most of this was at the beginning of the week and one of the days at the end was actually a gain of .4 so I'm a little worried. Is next week going to stall out or gain? I'm hoping of course for another great week, 4.4 is amazing for me!!! On WW I would only lose about .4 a week. Any advice on what you guys did during Phase 1 to keep the momentum going would be much appreciated!!!
summerlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! 4.4 pounds the first week is awesome! Did you realize you've already lost 10% of your goal?

Phase 1 weight loss is largely water, so once it's gone you won't be repeating that every week. Everyone is different, and I have quite a bit more to lose than you, but I've had a nice steady weight loss averaging about 1.5 pounds per week while on the beach, which is a good healthy amount. I've had 3 or 4 weeks (in a row!) when I stalled and a couple of weeks where I gained a pound, but (eventually) those times seem to have been followed by a whoosh of a few pounds.

I've done Phase 1 3 times now and have lost more during the first week of Phase 1 than in the second week, but have lost a pound or two the second week.

It feels good when the scale is moving down, but try not to allow yourself to be ruled those numbers... sometimes it cooperates, but often times it doesn't, when it isn't just keep plugging along and it'll catch up to you... even if it feels as though it never will.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #3  

Thank you for your comment, I didn't actually clue in, but you're right 10% of my goal is gone! Woohoo! I really need to focus on not letting the scale rule my emotions. I weighed in every morning and the good days I was gung ho, the bad weigh ins I was ready to throw in the towel muttering, it's just not worth it! Next week I'm going to only weigh once to try not to discourage myself. I want to lose this weight finally, it's been an up and down struggle for YEARS!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174.9/159.7/154

Height: 6'0"

4.4 is great! I am halfway through my first week and hope both my hubby and I can post such great numbers!

I also find myself wanting to get on the scale every day, but know I will be happier if I let myself be surprised at the end of every week!

Best of luck!
imaginemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 129/119/110

Height: 5'1

i do weigh myself once a week, but i really try to gauge how much i'm losing by how my clothes fit, and we all have those old clothes that we've hung on to that don't fit, so every couple weeks i try them on, and just last week old jeans fit and that feels great when that happens, because it makes you see the progress you have made, not just by the scale.
amygirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I recommend you do some measurements also, especially waist. SB is great for reducing abdominal fat. The weeks that you don't lose your measurements may change. Weight can flux with sodium intake and TOM so much.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #7  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

on completing your first week of phase one and for the great weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I'm one of those that still must weigh every day but if the scale isn't moving, then instead of getting discouraged, I just dig my heals in and become more determined than ever to stick to the plan.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #8  

You guys have great suggestions, I will definitely take my measurements today in case this second week doesn't look as great on the scale.
Congratulations Amygirl29 on the jeans!! I can't wait to try on old clothes and not be frustrated. I just know on this diet, it WILL happen!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #9  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Trust me Summerlake, it will happen if you stay on plan. I just spent a great afternoon trying on my summer clothes and most of them are too big. Hate to part with some of my favorites but in this case, I'll make it happen
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #10  

Yay for too big clothes! You're doing awesome and I can't wait to follow in your footsteps. I am done with this weight and this size. I want this summer to be in a size smaller!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! on your success, so far! For me, keeping the momentum going was my strong desire to make a permanent change in my life, for the better, which included a clean Phase 1. The going got a bit rough for me as I neared the end and I just kept reminding myself it was only 2 weeks out of my entire life. My cravings definitely went away and I stick close enough to plan for them not to return.

It's always great see those pounds go away on the scale, but as the others have already pointed out it is not the only measure of success. I think it's pretty well documented that "scale dispair" is often a justification for dieters deciding to eat off plan (whatever plan they follow). I think it is pretty common for the body to be losing inches without lots of scale movement. I'd encourage you to come up with some solid reasons for staying OP, other than just "scale movement". One thing I know for sure-eating off plan has a direct relationship with rising numbers on the scale.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote