South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #1  

Default cheese & cottage cheese

I think cottage cheese & sliced 2% cheese are considered a protein . Can I have 2 servings of each a day. I didn't think much of this when I was on phase 1 but now on phase 2 I feel like I have to be more careful. I use cottage cheese a lot for a snack. How does plain Greek yogurt fit in here. They all have quite a few calories. I feel like I'm eating an awful lot of calories.

Another question..
I like chicken thighs a lot better than the breast. Can I have skinless chicken thighs? I like the breast in sandwiches but that's about the only way.
Dar

Last edited by darinesto; 03-31-2011 at 02:24 AM.
darinesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I buy 2% reduced fat cottage cheese and eat it as a protein. I usually eat a cup a serving.

Cheese I limit myself to two ounces a day.

I can't get Greek yogurt here but I never had a problem losing while eating it. I think that even though it's calorie-dense, it also fills me up quickly so I wasn't tempted to overeat.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #3  

Thanks tomandkara,
I eat my cottage cheese as a snack with walnuts but only eat 1/2 a cup.. the Greek says 1 cup is a serving but I only eat 1/2 a cup. I just got that tonite. I found some whole wheat Tortillas tonite too. I put some FF refried beans on it..salsa & 1 slice 2% cheese. Boy it was good & very filling. Next time I think I'll put a little of the greek yogurt on it to...the yogurt taste a lot like sour cream to me. I also like cheese in my eggs.It must be different living
Germany. You probably have foods we can't get in the states. I'm in Alabama.
It is way past bedtime but I can't go to sleep so here I am.
Dar
Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

We have a lot of meat and potatoes here. They look at me like I have three heads when I say I'm vegetarian.

Sorry you can't sleep!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Darinesto - if you live near a Trader Joe's (or ever find yourself passing by one) they sell whole wheat low carb tortillas that are really not that bad. They freeze well too. I plan quesadillas for Saturday night with them.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinesto View Post
How does plain Greek yogurt fit in here. They all have quite a few calories. I feel like I'm eating an awful lot of calories.
The Greek yogurt is considered a milk/dairy selection and I believe you can have 2-3 servings in Phase II. I think 1 cup of the FF plain is one serving. The chicken thighs are discouraged as they are not as lean as breast meat, but as long as you don't eat the skin, they should be OK occasionally.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #7  

Mmckellen,
OH how I wish we had a Trader Joe in the area. I did a search & it seems the closest in in Atlanta GA. I saw rumors where one was coming to Birmingham but that post was several years ago & even then it is over 50 miles away. The only times I have been there was medical related & to fly out once. You would think the capital would have more but everything good is in Birmingham. I have only looked in one store so maybe I'll find some better ones as I get around.
tomandkara,
When U say potatoes U must mean cauliflower potatoes. There is a lot of soy meat.
murphmitch
I couldn't find the FF.. this is low fat. I only plan to eat 1/2 a serving at a time anyway. As for Thighs I buy them without the skin. Most things I can eat breast even if I prefer the other so thighs will be a treat..I wonder if I can make dumplings with wheat flour..I would only make 1 or 2 instead of a whole pot full like before. If they fail the chicken will still be good. Has anyone tried it?
Dar
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, I meant that the restaurants here serve a lot of meat and potatoes. *I* don't personally eat it. We actually eat at a lot of Indian, Thai, Nepalese, and Turkish restaurants.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #9  

tomandkara,
I used to eat Chinese but not anymore. I haven't been in one since the 1st of the year. I would love to try the foods U listed. If U go to any of those type of places here they are too expensive for me.
One of my problems here is I live in an apt building with 100+ people & someone is always wanting me to go out to eat. I was kinda proud of myself last time as I ate pretty much OP. They always have baked chicken & veggies. I had NO dessert but I know they are good.. wasn't easy. I know it wasn't a good place to eat but could have done worse.
Dar

Last edited by darinesto; 03-31-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7.5"

Just a thought, I eat my c.cheese with those tiny tomatoes,it's fast and on prog.esp. when I'm off to the gym and need to stick something 'in there'.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #11  

question..
Can I eat Lite & Fit FRUIT FLAVORED yogurt?
Dar
Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

What are the ingredients?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #13  

The ingredients are:
calories 110 for 1 cup
cholesterol <5g
carbs 20g
sugar 14g (too much)
ptotein 7g

I have only eaten 1/2 a cup so far. Afraid to eat it.

I am so disgusted & discouraged right now. I haven't lost ANYTHING in over 2 weeks & up 2 lbs this morning.
It seems like everyone can lose weight but me. What am I doing wrong. My diet is posted on "ON PLAN"
It looks like the only way I'm gonna lose weight is go back to phase 1 & stay there.. I KNOW that isn't possible.

Last edited by darinesto; 04-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #14  
Be happy.

Here are the ingredients:
Quote:
Ingredients Nonfat Yogurt (Cultured Grade A Non Fat Milk, Modified Food Starch, Fructose, Kosher Gelatin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Water, Fructose, Contains Less than 1% of Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Aspartame, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate (to Maintain Freshness), Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Annatto Extract (for Color). Contains Active Yogurt Cultures Including L. Acidophilus.
darinesto, I ate Dannon Lite and Fit pretty much every day until late February. I no longer use artificial sweeteners so I'm not eating it now, but the great flavors and the convenience of having it ready to grab made it a good choice for me and to be honest I'm missing it!

As for your comment about not losing on phase 2, a lot of us found that we don't loose as quickly as we'd like on a traditional phase 2. For me a successful phase 2 has lots of meals that look like phase 1 meals, but I have the luxury of adding a fruit or whole grain if I choose to. I've always done well with fruits but not grains (other than oats and quinoa). I have a lot of bad habits associated with grains so it's hard for me to be satisfied with only one serving of whole grain bread, pasta, rice, etc. For me it's easier to just stay away from them.

Be patient and take the time to figure out what works best for you. I think it's great that you've been posting your meals, that will make it easy for you to look back at what you've been eating and figure out which foods work well for you and which foods may be on plan but don't work well.

I learned my 'secret weapon' from Anne (murphmitch). The more vegetables I eat the better I feel and the better I lose. And the more vegetables I eat the less room I have for other things.

Good luck to you - if I could do it, anyone can!

Last edited by Heidi58; 04-09-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #15  

I actually record what I eat twice...once here & also on paper as we are supposed to do it for TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) We have contest there & my team needs the points. If I could just lose 1 lb a week I'd be delighted but not when I gain