Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #1  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Default New to this forum need advice

Hello Ladies I am new to this forum but not new to 3fc 2 days ago I gave my life to christ and I am trying very hard to stay on his path and live for him. I grew up going to church, than my family stopped going...
My mom & step dad have now been following his path for about 3 years...after all this time of her advice, and pushing me to become closer to him, I am finally ready and I am so excited! I am going to start going to church Sunday, (i hope i find a good church) and i am happy to get my 5yo into knowing jesus as well.

BUT my bf of 7 yrs does.not.want.to.go.to.church. He's like against it. He believes, but will not go to church. Also, he's catholic (hes from Mexico) and i'm christian. So i'm not sure what to do, how this will affect my journey...and my relationship..my mom says after awhile he will see me change and become happy and he will hopefully want what I have with God...well I hope, but will he become christian like me, or stay catholic? I need some advice!

Last edited by mateosmama2005; 03-16-2011 at 08:30 AM.
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ASHLEY ~ Congratulations on making a decision for Christ. Catholics ARE Christians too, Ashley; they are just a different denomination and on the other side of the coin of Protestant ie heads = Catholic; tails = Protestant, with all its many denominations (different churches). The Catholic church was the first mainline or mother church with most of the Protestant churches branching out from it over the years.

Now, it is true that some Catholics are more committed to Christ than others. My DH is a Catholic and was not going to church when we met, but does now. He has committed to the salvation message and loves GOD, Jesus, and his church very much; but he's not perfect, and is still growing. Your husband may go the same route -- he can make a decision for the LORD and still be Catholic.

You are a new Christian, and down the road he may indeed see how your walk with GOD changes your life for the better. IN the meantime, thank and praise GOD for your partner and ask GOD to do what is best for him and you in your lives.

Did you have a specific church in mind? I go to the Catholic Church with my DH sometimes, and sometimes we go to another Protestant one just for a change of teaching & worship. His last priest really loved the LORD, and I think the new one is pretty good too; DH sure likes him. The Catholic Church has good programs and schools for kids too.

My family was predominantly Protestant (both sides were Anglican), and at first I thought that we couldn't meld, but I found that just wasn't so. If we had children, we would have taken them to the Catholic church and schools for harmony's sake, which is important, I think.

The only way to know is to go to a local Catholic Church and a Protestant one of your choice and see how you like them both. Hope this helps you a bit.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome, Ashley and congratulations on your decision. to accept Christ. You might tell your boyfriend about my church, I am a member of a Presbyterian church, my pastor has previously spent a year in a monastery, we have members or attendees who are Catholic, Baptist and Quakers to name a few. We all serve the same God, even Catholics ! You will find, I beleive there is a lot of common belief between Catholics and Protetants, the differance come with rituals. ways of qualifing pastors, rules and regulations in other words.PS. we have a couple whu attend our church regularly , she is Catholic , he is Baptist, they both attend our Presbyterian Worship servce and then go to Mass , every Sunday, It seems to work for them.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-19-2011 at 12:23 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4  

As with any church you go to, God tells us in His Word that we must "test the spirits".

Thessalonians 5:21 (New King James Version) Test all things; hold fast what is good.

1 John 4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

How do you test the Spirits? It's easy... Ask Jesus. There are many born again Catholic priest, and many who are not born-again. Just like there are many Pastors who are not born-again.

In my opinion, there are so many churches because there are so many personalities. If the Catholic church does not suit your personality, pray that God will show you the way, and He will!

I used to go to the Assembly of God church, but my husband was not comfortable, (I wasn't really either, because I had grown up in a very quiet church, but I got saved in an Assembly of God church) anyway, he told me that if I went to a quieter church he would go with me. I was so confused and didn't know what to do. I asked my Pastor, and he told me if my husband didn't want to go to this church, that I needed to follow him. (great pastor!) But I was still upset and confused as even though I had not been that comfortable with the pentecostal service, I had been baptized in the Holy Spirit, with the evidence of speaking in tongues, (I think that's why some people get the evidence of tongues and others don't, because some people need more evidence that God is real, and some don't, just a theory???) ANYWAY!! (I keep getting side tracked) I was upset because I didn't want to go to a church that taught that the gifts of the Spirit were not for today. (as I had the evidence that it is) So I was praying and I saw an article in the newspaper for a new church in Salt Lake called Calvary Chapel. I called the pastor, and asked him what their take was on the gifts of the Spirit, and he said they believe in the gifts but were very strict on the rules laid down for them in 1 Corinthians. I visited the church that next Sunday and God confirmed that I was supposed to be there 3 times, through Scripture!

Isaiah 30:21 (New King James Version) 21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
“ This is the way, walk in it,”
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.

Jesus promised me that as long as I find a quiet time to be with Him every day (or at least almost everyday) that He will always lead me and I am always in the center of His will.

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live

Love, Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #5  

Oh, I am sorry I forgot to say YAY!!!! It is such a joyful occasion when a family member turns back!!! I turned away from God for a long time, and boy was that miserable time in my life.

Luke 15:7 (New King James Version) I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

:c arrot::car rot::carro t:
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

To be honest, your personal relationship with christ is far more important than the one with your boyfriend. I say go where your faith and heart lead, if he follows fine, if not....oh well......

prayers for God's will to be done.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #7  
On my way to Skinny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
To be honest, your personal relationship with christ is far more important than the one with your boyfriend. I say go where your faith and heart lead, if he follows fine, if not....oh well......

prayers for God's will to be done.
Yes I know my relationship with christ is way more important. Im just trying to figure out how to encourage him...If he was a new bf or something I wouldn't push it to much, but he is the father of my child and we have been together 7 years so I am trying my best to have him go to church with me...
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #8  
On my way to Skinny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
Oh, I am sorry I forgot to say YAY!!!! It is such a joyful occasion when a family member turns back!!! I turned away from God for a long time, and boy was that miserable time in my life.

Luke 15:7 (New King James Version) I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

:c arrot::car rot::carro t:
THANK YOU!!! I will write more later!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/216/160

Height: 5

So glad you are following The Way of Christ! He will lead you to all things good & holy.

As for your boyfriend - as hte mother of teenagers, I can honestly say - don't tell them what to do, just be happy in your new path, any conversation as to your new found faith may just seem to him as "Do it my way, it's the only way" and will meet with resistance. Do as Christ did, lead by example, patience and love. After all, Christ did not manage to convert everyone either. Just love your boyfriend, but love Christ first.
lisarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateosmama2005 View Post
Yes I know my relationship with christ is way more important. Im just trying to figure out how to encourage him...If he was a new bf or something I wouldn't push it to much, but he is the father of my child and we have been together 7 years so I am trying my best to have him go to church with me...
Kiddo I wouldn't push it at all, just lead by example. Honestly, if he really is a believer, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to go with his child and mother of child/girlfriend. Prayers for you all
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I'm new to this site....but I, like you, was raised in a Christian family and was in church a majority of my childhood. I had my back turned to God for many many years and I recently accepted Jesus into my life about a month ago.

I definitely wouldn't pressure your bf into going to church, but hopefully he will see positive changes in your life and want to experience that as well. At this point, pray! I hope you find a great church....have them pray your bf as well!
tayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #12  

Yay Tayde!!!! Woohoo, that is so awesome! What brought you back if you don't mind sharing? :c arrot:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
Yay Tayde!!!! Woohoo, that is so awesome! What brought you back if you don't mind sharing? :c arrot:
God had been calling me back to him for awhile...but I kept ignoring it. I went to church a couple of times and met an amazing woman who had a great talk with me and made me realize all I needed to do was tell God that I was surrendering my life to him.
tayde is offline   Reply With Quote