General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default Healthy Protein Bars?

Just curious if anyone knows of a good option. I have previously liked some including: Clif bars and Kashi bars. Would anyone share their nutrition knowledge?
My big issue is the 12 hour shifts where I do not get a break because I have a really sick patient. The only chance I have than is something in my pocket that I nibble on when noone is looking.
Thanks!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #2  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Hey!
Personally, I havent found a good, healthy protein bar that meets my specific needs and requirements. Many of the ones produced have a lot of added sugars or just things I dont like to put into my body.
What I do sometimes if make my own bars and that way I can control exatly what I put into them and they're usually cheaper in the long run. It takes some planning ahead, maybe make them for the week or two weeks on your day off.
Theres a lot of recipes online
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #3  

You might as well have a candy bar in your pocket. Are you able to drink something? You might make a smoothie and add protein powder to it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I would suggest maybe a small bag of almonds or something like that. Like the others said, commercially available protein bars are full of sugar.
morphomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

I just ordered a box of Chocolite Protein bars... like 100 cals, 3 net carbs, very little sugar, 10g protein, and 9 grams fiber... they should come tomorrow, we'll see if they taste any good!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #6  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
You might as well have a candy bar in your pocket.
I respectfully DISAGREE with this. I eat Atkins Chocolate-Peanut Butter Protein bars (240 cals., 19g prot., 2 net carbs) just about every day, and it not only taste great, satisfy my desire for sweets, LOADED with tons of fiber and therefore keep me regular, but it keeps me full for hours!

Now...a "snickers" could never do all that!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
You might as well have a candy bar in your pocket. Are you able to drink something? You might make a smoothie and add protein powder to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
I respectfully DISAGREE with this. I eat Atkins Chocolate-Peanut Butter Protein bars (240 cals., 19g prot., 2 net carbs) just about every day, and it not only taste great, satisfy my desire for sweets, LOADED with tons of fiber and therefore keep me regular, but it keeps me full for hours!

Now...a "snickers" could never do all that!

I would have to agree with Joyfulloser. It depends on WHICH protein bar you eat. Same with it depends on WHICH protein shake you drink. It is true that many protein bars are so full of sugar, you might as well eat a candy bar, but if you look, you will find great alternatives. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without them. Like today I had to rush off to a meeting and had NO time for breakfast. I grabbed some water and this bar and it kept me satisfied for HOURS and gave me vitamins and minerals which I so need too.

Besides these bars, almonds are a great alternative too. I also love a good low carb, high protein shake (atkins again) or a powder mixed with water (just tried Muscle milk - doubled the amount of water that it suggests and it's great!) Just realllly watch anything with sugars. Sugars make you hungry. Fats and proteins do not.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote