General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #1  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Default Help!!!! Thinking of going vegetarian for a while :-)

Hello everyone,
So I have been on this weightloss journey or more like a lifestyle change for a while... I tend to lose weight slower cause I have been battle bipolar so alot of times I end up fighting for my sanity so gaining a few lbs takes the back burner... Battles everyone knows how it goes...
So I eat pretty healthy for the most part with the occassional treat or splurge here n there.. I work out 3x a week min, I am a full time grad student with other commitments as well..
I have been thinking of giving up meat for a while, to see if it will give me more energy/ weightloss. I know it's calories in vs calories out...
I was wondering what you guys thought...any feedback will be great or ideas on a good recipe book cause I still need the protein...
Thanks,
Ah
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

A little over 3 years ago, I went vegan. It actually didn't help with my weight loss since a lot of my favorite things like nuts, dried fruits and bread are vegan. The only thing that has helped me with weight loss is cutting back portions and monitoring my dietary intake. I do enjoy being vegan though.

I just bought a book called "Cinch!" which is by the co-author of "The Flat Belly Diet" and someone who used to work for Prevention magazine. I think the diet is pretty well balanced.

A good book on overall vegetarian nutrition is a book called "Becoming Vegetarian" and there is a similar "Becoming Vegan" book. Basically, getting your protein isn't hard as long as you eat a mixture of foods and limit processed foods.

If you want to become vegetarian, I'd try to limit or eliminate cheese and other dairy products. They are high calorie and really don't provide you much. Things like calcium can come from a variety of vegetables such as leafy greens.

There is also a vegetarian section of the forum, it is listed near the bottom:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #3  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Thanks I will check that out...
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

PCRM's Plan
http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/weightloss.html

Get a hold of Virginia and Mark Messina's The Vegetarian Way from the library

Recipes you can find all over, but I like Nava Atlas for family friendly.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Fam...5937536&sr=1-6

And Spitler's is a monster book with lots of good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Fat-Vegeta...5937561&sr=1-1

If you only do one, do that one.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #5  

Becoming Vegetarian is a great starting point. I use to go to vegweb a lot. Vegan Vittles was my favorite cookbook. There's an awesome burger recipe in it made with tvp.

I was vegetarian for 8 years. I didn't notice any difference in energy levels or ability to lose weight.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #6  
Mommy Wannabee

S/C/G: 330/330/150

Height: 5'6"

I have been enjoying Natalia Rose's book the Raw Food Detox diet. It allows for a lot of flexibility no matter what level or intensity of eating raw foods you are at. There are some transitional recipes that aren't strictly vegetarian, plus a bunch of yummy vegetarian, raw, and vegan ones. I am just beginning to revisit the book and her plan. I will keep ya posted!
divadolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #7  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

I've heard really good things about Skinny *****. It's supposed to be harsh but it gets the job done
Also, I've find that if you educate yourself on animal issues etc, it's easier to stick to a vegetarian plan. My friend has a picture of chickens in pens over the fridge. Some find it weird but she thinks it works.
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #8  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Oops, that's supposed to be the B word there- I forgot that the board would censor it
Try google?
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote