Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/180/165 lbs 95/82/75 kgs

Height: 5'10

Question Eating at maintenance or above to bust a plateau/boost weight loss - your experience

Hi everyone,

I keep hearing that eating at maintenance or above for a few weeks can be benefical for plateaus or jumpstarting weight loss again. I really want to hear from people who have experimented with it and their results.

If you have tried it, why? Had you completely plateaud, or just slowed down? Did you eat at maintenance or above? For how long? Did you start losing at a higher/faster rate after? Did you keep it up?

If you've tried it, please share your story!
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #2  
HealthNutMommy

S/C/G: 170/124/125

Height: 5'3

I went through a plateau just last month. The scale did not move from Sept 24th-Oct 22nd. I was getting a little anxious.
At the time, I was eating 1300-1400 calories and working out 5 days a week. I was pretty much doing the same workout routine over and over. So I decided to add more resistance and more cardio to see if a little change will help break this plateau. I also added more calories throughout my day.

So, I started working out 6 days a week and I began eating 1500-1600 calories a day. And guess what, one whole week after I made these changes, the scale moved down 4 lbs!!!!

Try changing your routine a bit and see what happens.
Good luck!
pammi2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #3  

Thanks pammi. Congratulations on breaking your plateau!

I'm thinking about eating at maintenance for a week or two to see if it changes the rate at which I lose.

I know that sometimes when I've eaten extra on what feels like too many days, doubled my oil supplement dose etc., I might lose more than I'd expected that week...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

IMO, when some one has eaten higher calories and then they experience a weight loss it has nothing to do with those extra calories, *shaking things up* or *keeping ones metabolism* guessing. I think it's more of a coincidence. The weight loss occurs from the hard work you've done and the calorie deficit you've created PRIOR to taking in more calories. Your body was holding on to it and it was just *time* to release it.

Sunday, don't shoot me (I'm speaking about your other thread of course) , but if you're concerned with a plateau my dear and the slow rate at which you're losing -instead of adding in extra calories (which is totally counter productive), why not add in some exercise????
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #5  

Lol, I wouldn't shoot you Robin! I love your posts

I haven't actually plateaud, losing steadily right now although I'm only nine weeks in. So that may change.

You ladies are going to make me drag out my running shoes, aren't you! *hides*