Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #1  

Default Completely confused

Hi,

I need help. I am completely confused. How many calories should I eat to lose weight while in Induction (20g carb a day)?

I've read that you should eat 1200-1500 cals a day, but when I tried to plan that out with low carb foods like chicken, cheese, eggs etc. I could barely eak out three meals a day let alone a few snacks which are absolutely necessary.

Why does Dr. Atkins say this is not a quantitative diet when obviously if you eat enough low carb foods you are still not going to lose weight?

Beth
Old 03-24-2003, 10:55 PM   #2  

I'm not so sure about the Atkins diet, but most low carb plans don't count cals. I did it for the summer and never counted a call. and lost 12lbs.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Bella23
Old 03-28-2003, 01:12 PM   #3  

Beth - If you are active 1200-1500 calories a day may not be enough. What I did was use fitday.com (free web-based program) to record what I ate on induction for 2 weeks. I stayed under 20 grams of carbs and didn't obsess over anything else. Then at the end of 2 weeks I decided wether or not this way of eating would work for me. I was the world's biggest skeptic, and now I'm a convert. I suggest you do induction for the 2 weeks recommended, without counting calories and see how you feel. I lost 9 lbs in that time.

To answer your question, Yes, if you totally disregard the calories forever, and say eat 3 lbs of bacon a day (4500 calories est.), you probably will gain some of the weight lost back. However, I doubt there are few people who can actually eat that much in calories.

Check out the daily thread, we've had conversations like this before, and there's better explainations out there.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

meat, veggies, eggs and cheese is your basic menu for induction.

There are days I have a hard time eating enough calories. Use fitday.com like Dyan suggests, it helps alot!!
Try to eat a min of 1500 cals a day. Otherwise your body will think its starving itself.

Good Luck to you!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

many people when starting this WOE manage to cut the amount of food they eat. if you do find that your cals are dropping and that you are not losing then start to consiously add some cals in with nuts, and fats, a piece of fruit (after induction is over)

Last edited by nasus40; 04-08-2003 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:48 AM   #6  

you could try getting in a bit more good fat in the form of olive oil on your salad(s).

i'm also finding it difficult to get up above 1600 calories, and i really need them for all the exercise i do ! i'll have to keep looking for good fats without carbs.

good luck,

adriana
Closed Thread