Old 10-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #1  
Ms. Fat Smasher

S/C/G: 338/329/175

Height: 6'0

Default Alcohol during Induction?

I have noticed a few people (myself included) wondering how drinking Bacardi and Diet Pepsi (w/Splenda) would affect being in ketosis. Can anyone out there give me any information on this? I know alcohol is not permitted during induction, but bacardi and diet coke/pepsi is supposed to have 0 carbs. My question is...why wouldn't clear spirits be permitted if they don't have any carbs?
fatklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

A few thoughts:

1 if you have your bacardi with a diet coke it will be 1 carb, not 0 as you count each diet coke (package of splenda etc) as 1 carb.

There is no drinking on induction for a number of reasons:

1. Your body burns alcohol for fuel first. So if you are in ketosis and burning fat (the goal) but you drink, you will stop burning fat until you have burned off all the alcohol.

2. Alcohol messes with some people's blood sugar, leading to sugar/off plan food cravings after drinking.

3. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and makes you more likely to cheat.

That said, I drink occasionally while on induction but make sure I count it in my carbs. (Ie 5 oz dry white wine = 3, vodka/bacardi silver with soda water = 0)

You can try it out and see how it makes you feel!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Although most alcohols (rum, vodka, gin, etc.) have 0 carbs, they are eventually metabolized as sugar...or at least that's the way I understand it. For most of us, they don't help us lose weight on Induction.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #4  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy View Post
A few thoughts:

1 if you have your bacardi with a diet coke it will be 1 carb, not 0 as you count each diet coke (package of splenda etc) as 1 carb.

There is no drinking on induction for a number of reasons:

1. Your body burns alcohol for fuel first. So if you are in ketosis and burning fat (the goal) but you drink, you will stop burning fat until you have burned off all the alcohol.

2. Alcohol messes with some people's blood sugar, leading to sugar/off plan food cravings after drinking.

3. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and makes you more likely to cheat.

That said, I drink occasionally while on induction but make sure I count it in my carbs. (Ie 5 oz dry white wine = 3, vodka/bacardi silver with soda water = 0)

You can try it out and see how it makes you feel!
Thank you for that info! I will probably experiment this weekend and see how my ketone sticks register....and judge everything based on that.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I chose to stop drinking for now. Alcohol is a fuel source and I want all my calories (which are fewer in general) to be coming from good food. I also wanted to be able to handle party and social situations without the overeating that I normally indulge in. I didn't think I could do that and drink at the same time.
This is one of those things that will be really individual for each of us. You seem to have gotten into deep dark ketosis quite easily, so it may be that you can have a few carbs from time to time without a problem.
And you know your limits. you know if you are likely to just have one or two drinks, or if you overindulge generally in these situations.
good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I was on Induction for a week, lost too much too quickly, so I went to OWL. OWL turned out to be maintenance for me. Now I'm doing a modified version of Induction where I allow myself a carb free whiskey and diet coke or two at night if I don't work the next day. I don't lose too fast and I have something I can enjoy twice a week.

A packet of Splenda is one carb, you may just wanna stick with the diet coke and carb free liquors if you do decide to drink

Last edited by StephanieM; 10-18-2010 at 09:29 PM.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #7  
Ms. Fat Smasher

I had 3 cups of Smirnoff and Diet Pepsi w/Splenda over the weekend. 2 hours after drinking, my ketone stix tested "trace". I believe that drinking even thought it's "allegedly" 0 carbs took a part in me just losing .4 pounds this week. Conclusion: no more alcohol during induction!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Splenda isn't 0 carbs though, it's a carb per packet.

There's lots of hidden carbs out there :S
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #9  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
Splenda isn't 0 carbs though, it's a carb per packet.

There's lots of hidden carbs out there :S

I keep forgetting to say that, but I am aware of the Splenda = 1 carb rule. Regardless....no more alcohol! I will continue to drink Pepsi One every once in a while.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #10  

fatklr = was it regular smirnoff or a flavored kind?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #11  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy View Post
fatklr = was it regular smirnoff or a flavored kind?
Definitely regular, plain ole Smirnoff. I know the flavored ones have a lot of carbs in them.