Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Newbie in this section :)

Good morning! I've been on 3FC for a couple of months, but hanging out in the 20-somethings forum. Life changed a week ago though, ha. After feeling off for a few weeks, a friend of mine finally convinced me to take a pregnancy test despite the fact I've been on Seasonique BC pills for a year.

Well, I'm here, so obviously we know the result of that test (and the additional 3 I took in quick succession). Our first OB appointment Friday revealed that I'm FIVE months pregnant, and we're expecting a baby boy. That was one heck of a day, let me tell you.

The good news is, as well as can be told at this time: he looks healthy and is developing as he should be.

The not really bad news, but my concern: I never ever planned to get pregnant at this weight. I think being exceptionally conscious of this is a help, as I have armed myself with information and questions and proper eating and anything else I could possibly do to make this easier. Well.. I got to five months without even knowing it, I don't think the pregnancy could get any easier! But I mean to make myself and the little guy as healthy as possible.

So I guess I'm just here for extra support when I need it and tips to get through the pregnancy as healthy as we can. I plan to breastfeed also, so it looks like I can find some help with that here too.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

congratulations!!
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #3  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Congratulations! I'm so glad you're having an easy pregnancy, keep on doing what you're doing to stay healthy. Glad to have you here and look forward to hearing from you more often!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #4  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

Well, first a BIG Congrats!! The next few months are probably going to fly by! It's so good to hear you've had an easy pregnancy so far and missed out on all that horrible morning sickness.

I completely understand about being pregnant & overweight. I started this pregnancy technically obese at 223 and am up to 231.2 (only 8.2 lbs ). For those of us that started off struggling with our weight, I know how seeing that scale number go up is a definite shock to the system. Just make sure your doctor recommends a good prenatal vitamin and start taking that ASAP.

If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to pm me. I should warn you, though, this is my 1st pregnancy and I'm only a few weeks ahead of you so I don't know how much I can help! But even if you just want to talk. Congrats again & good luck!
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #5  

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome and congrats!

I'm technically obese also I'm not so concerned with my weight struggle right now, more how my weight will affect my pregnancy. Although, it has been pretty easy so far, haha.

I feel like I have a good grasp on things at this point. My mother in law bought me the book "What to Eat When You're Expecting" and I've poured over it, tailoring my menu to the Daily Dozen (fruits, veggies, proteins, etc). I quit smoking as soon as I found out, quit caffeine, and drinking obvs, and have cut out most all refined sugars from my diet. I also take nightly walks to stay active on a daily basis.

I'm most nervous that I haven't known for so long, and I was a drinker and smoker. Not a *heavy* drinker, but once a week or so, several drinks. The ultrasound showed a healthy little guy though, so there's nothing to do but pray it all works out and keep him as healthy as I can now.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats Amanda!!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #7  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! How exciting!!!

I had a good friend who found out she was pregnant when she was just over 4 months... pretty much the same thing. On birth control, she and her boyfriend had broken up a few months previously (got pg on their last night together!).. and she had also smoked and drank up until she found out (she was worried because she'd drank more than usual, as she had gone through a bad breakup). But her little boy ended up perfectly healthy... so try not to worry yourself too much. Our bodies are adept at protecting the little life in there against all sorts of things! The fact that you're taking such good care of him/yourself now makes all the difference.

As for being obese and pg, my midwife always said that weight makes little difference in a pregnancy as long as mom is active and healthy. If you go in to a pg already heavy, and continue to eat healthy and exercise, in all likelihood your pg will be perfectly routine. I was obese by 20-30 pounds for all 3 of my pgs, and never had a single complication. Again, do the right things and everything will turn out great.

Have a happy and healthy nine (cross that out!) FOUR months!!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #8  

Thanks!

Oh, that makes me feel soooo much better kirsten. I actually went through text message logs and journals and facebook posts to make a calendar of my drinking in the last few months... it made me feel a little better to see it wasn't as frequent as I'd thought.

My last appointment was kind of derailed by all the news, so I didn't get a chance to ask about my weight and all the other things I had planned to ask. I'm glad to know my efforts now make a lot of difference. I had the thought that is amuses me that while I'm taking the best care of myself ever, I'll likely be at one of my highest weights, haha. I'd been in the process of a lifestyle change for 6 months or so, which seems to be a big help. My borderline high blood pressure was already down and cholesterol improving, so the lack of smoking and drinking now just makes it even better.

I have another appointment Thursday and I just get so nervous. I still feel like none of this is real and at any point the doctors are going say, Just kidding! Or - and I try reallllly hard not to - I fixate on all of the zillion things that could go wrong. I think I'll feel a little better after this second appointment though, and feel like things are a bit more concrete.