South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Coconut Milk

Hey They had a fridge pack of unsweetened coconut milk at my grocery I picked it up for coffee at work
is it legal for Ph 2?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've never seen it on any SB "yes or no" list, but I use it all the time for smoothies and coffee because of the low sugar content and the health benefits. I've also used the coconut yogurt and coconut coffee creamer and I put a little coconut oil in my smooties...oh and I wash my face with coconut oil too. No idea whether it is legal or not.

****I just looked it up and it should be sparingly

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-25-2010 at 04:59 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Cat:
I picked it up just for coffee at work and I've cut down to one a day so maybe a half cup. also it's unflavored and unsweetened
with the WLS I don't go overboard with fat but I don't count perse
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Sort of same topic, I don't mean to hijack but I don't want to clutter with a new topic.

coconut water. thoughts?
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #5  
Celiac Diva

S/C/G: 187/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Sort of same topic, I don't mean to hijack but I don't want to clutter with a new topic.

coconut water. thoughts?
Coconut Water is nature's sports drink! I'm pretty sure if you find a brand like Zico's it should be ok. It's extremely high in Magnesium and Potassium, while having no fat, cholesterol and added sugar. It's also very low in calories and on the glycemic index.

That said, it can have a fair amount of natural sugar, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for P1, but perhaps P2 and P3 ok in small doses.

Last edited by LastingOne; 08-25-2010 at 01:46 PM.
LastingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

wonderful! thanks
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Nutrition Diva weighs in on coconut water

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-25-2010 at 08:14 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I'm just going to "weigh in" on the whole coconut thing. Personal choice.
Since beginning this SB journey a few years ago, I've really got into natural healing through foods. That begin said, some items that I now eat or drink would not be considered good choices on the SB plan or recommended to lose weight. At this point I am maintaining and not really trying to lose more (but if I do, that's ok) So I do include stuff in my diet now that is a little "heavy" on the calorie/natural sugar side. I just won't put anything processed into my mouth and I do kind of watch how much sugar I do consume, but don't obsess about it. If I eat a food, it has to have a benefit to my heart, digestive system, brain, joints etc. and some of those foods may be no-no's with SB.

But, It's SB that really gave me the push to become more concerned with my health and to let the weight just take care of itself. Convoluted, but makes any sense??? I know that some foods I eat, like dates in smoothies are pretty high calorie and high sugar, but they are good for me and take the place of white sugar or "frankensugar" but I would not recommend anyone who is trying to lose weight to run out and eat a bunch of dates.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-25-2010 at 07:52 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Can I use coconut milk for latte on Phase 1? I need my caffiene and I am not a fan of regular coffee.......
summersbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersbluepits View Post
Can I use coconut milk for latte on Phase 1? I need my caffiene and I am not a fan of regular coffee.......
I have a latte several times a week with skim milk and sugar free syrup. I don't know how coconut would taste with coffee.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #11  
it's always something

There is a phase 1 recipe for curry using coconut milk on the official SBD website, so I guess it's allowed. However, it's the lite version. A little googling turned up a few references to the light version only being allowed. I don't know what the limit would be though. In the past, there have been quite a few recipes from his books that used ingredients that were not allowed at all, and when questioned the response was that a small amount in a recipe was sometimes allowed if there was no other substitute.

So that may or may not have been helpful
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #12  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

CyndiM - thanks for the link! I wasn't sure what coconut milk was.

wrt coconut water, definitely a good electrolyte replacement drink. My son brings some with him when he plays soccer, especially tournaments, and I used it while I was on chemo and my stomach was a little rebelious. Mind you, we only like it really cold, unless it's fresh from the tree (which we don't get here in Ottawa!)
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote