South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #1  

Default I'm Confused!

I've read the book and was ready to get my shopping list completed, then started reading about acceptable foods, etc. I was under the impression that non and low fat items are stocked with sugar to substitute for the fat, therefore these would not be advised on the SBD, and that eating foods containing fat would help the body digest slower.

However after reading all the recipes and suggested groceries, they all seem to be low or non-fat. I just got finished reading an article on livestrong that says that Dannon light and fit is a great yogurt choice when you add walnuts to it. This yogurt has 11 grams of sugar in!

I thought I had this stuff under wraps but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain to me how a non fat yogurt with 11 grams of sugar is a good choice for breakfast???
bsc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The sugar in non-fat yogurt should be lactose, not sucrose. Check the ingredients rather than the nutritional chart, to see if there is sugar listed. On SBD we are trying to avoid sucrose and saturated fats.

Gotta dash now but to the Beach and keep asking questions.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
The sugar in non-fat yogurt should be lactose, not sucrose. Check the ingredients rather than the nutritional chart, to see if there is sugar listed. On SBD we are trying to avoid sucrose and saturated fats.

Gotta dash now but to the Beach and keep asking questions.
Thank you so much. Here's what I see on the nutrition, it looks like there's just about every form of sweetener imaginable! This can't be a good thing.

Nonfat Yogurt [Cultured Grade A Non Fat Milk, Modified Food Starch, Fructose, Kosher Gelatin, Vitamin A Palmitate], Water, Contains Less Than 1% Of Modified Corn Starch, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Aspartame, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (To Maintain Freshness), Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Annatto Extract (For Color), Sodium Citrate. Contains Active Yogurt Cultures Including L. Acidophilus.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/SeeTicker/170

Height: 5'8"

When I did phase 1 the first time, I desperately wanted to eat yogurt in the mornings for breakfast simply because I was pretty sure if I ate any more eggs I was going to scream. But I couldn't find any yogurts that weren't packed with sugar...exactly what you are running into now.

Of course out here in the Middle-of-Nowhere Kansas, things take longer to arrive. Finally, Greek Yogurt has arrived in the stores here, and if you check it out, it's got WAY less sugar in it. I buy a plain flavor Kroger brand (available here at Dillon's) and it's got 6 grams of lactose in it...and nothing else! That's all the sugar that's in it.

Check out your market selection of Greek Yogurt. Obviously the honey-flavored stuff won't be acceptable for Phase 1, but it's a good option once you get into Phase 2 and in general has a lot less sugar than others.
museumchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsc77 View Post
Nonfat Yogurt [Cultured Grade A Non Fat Milk, Modified Food Starch, Fructose, Kosher Gelatin, Vitamin A Palmitate], Water, Contains Less Than 1% Of Modified Corn Starch, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Aspartame, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (To Maintain Freshness), Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Annatto Extract (For Color), Sodium Citrate. Contains Active Yogurt Cultures Including L. Acidophilus.
The fructose makes this not SBD friendly. You can eat yogurts with either no sweetener (plain) or artificial sweeteners but not sugars of any kind including cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, etc. The asparatame and acesulfame are both allowed.

Many of us just buy plain yogurt (Greek or regular) and add the allowed sweetener of our choice (splenda, stevia, etc I think someone even adds crystal light).

Many fat free dairy products, like fat free sour cream, are loaded with added sugars and starches so those are the ones to avoid. As Ruth said this is more about reading labels than carb grams.

Hope this helps a little

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-23-2010 at 05:08 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone for all the information. I'm going to try and make sense of all of it and try figuring out brand name products that fit the bill.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Be sure to spend time perusing the Stickies in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section. Lots of good info there!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote