South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191.5/191.5/165

Height: 5'2"

Default Tofu noodles

Has anyone used the tofu noodles (shirataki brand) on P1? The ingredients are tofu and water so looks like it's legal?

Thanks
beth0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I believe so...All we can do is trust the ingredients
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I believe they are OK for Phase 1, even though they are made with a blend of "yam" flour and tofu. But the type of "yam" they use is not related to the type of yam or any potato that we are familiar with, and it's actually known to reduce your blood sugar levels.

I say go for it.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #4  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

If I am not mistaken the last itme I looked into these they were made from Konjac root, or glucomannan(which I take as a supplement) which is essentially fiber- and good for you +tofu.

here is what I found ;0)
Quote:
Basically, the Konjac root (a tuber or “yam” unique to Asia) is the source of Glucomannan; a water-soluble dietary fiber that expands many times its size when consumed. This makes the “consumer” feel full with less food and provides a nice bit of fiber in the process.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Just remember that they need to be cooked with something flavorful. Just right out of the bag they don't taste very good. Rinse them well before you use them, that helps with the strange taste you sometimes get.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #6  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

I totally agree. hold your nose! lol
I rinse mine well, then boil 1-2 minutes, drain well and then use them in whatever I was planning on. they are stinky out of the bag!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 191.5/191.5/165

Height: 5'2"

Thanks everyone, I am going to make a SB tomato sauce for the tofu noodles
beth0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #8  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

oh my GOODNESS - I finally tried these today, thanks to reading this thread. I had a package languishing in the back of the fridge... so I rinsed them, boiled them for a few minutes and added them to a simple peanut sauce [~2T natural peanut butter, a generous splash of low sodium soy sauce, a clove of crushed garlic and hot sauce] with 2 sliced green onions and about 1/2 a large English cucumber, julienned. Yum, yum, YUM. I can't believe I waited this long. I have the fettuccine-style noodles as well and I seem to recall Hungry Girl having an Alfredo recipe using Laughing Cow. I think that will be next.

ETA: found the Fettuccine Girlfredo recipe

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by EmmaD; 08-12-2010 at 04:51 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #9  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Where are you guys finding these noodles at? I wanna get some!!!! They sound great. I was planning on make some homemade noodles made out of soy flour but I'm afraid. It might be easier to just buy 'em.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Melanie, whole foods has them. One local Winn Dixie here carries them, but I have to go to the next town for some reason the one close to my house doesn't have them grrrrr. I'll bet the old Harris Teeter has them since they seem to carry everything.

I've never boiled mine, I just rinse well and throw them in a stir fry and stir a bit more till they are hot.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-13-2010 at 07:16 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #11  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

Melanie- Where are you from in NC? We used to live in Cary and our local Harris Teeter carried them I believe, that was quite a while ago though! Our Publix carries them here and they are with the tofu in the produce section....
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

We used to have a Winn Dixie, but they closed down. This gives me an even better excuse to go to Harris Teeter, on a search for chia seed & shirataki. Maybe I'll find a few other cool SBD finds.

I am in Bayboro, NC (Pamlico County). The nearest Harris Teeter is in Craven County and we Pamlico folk have to make the drive out there for Walmart and pretty much everything else. I hope the Harris Teeter by me still carries them or I might be making the drive out to Cary or the nearest Teeter that carries the noodles. (lol! It's worth it, I'd stock up on 'em!)

I've lived in Florida for a year before, a few years ago, and they had Publix. I loved Publix, the deli, yum!

Well I think I'm definitely going to make a trip out to Harris Teeter today in search of the shirataki noodles. Been saying it but today will get my butt in gear.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Not all stores carry them. When people were first starting to talk about them a few years ago, the only place I could find them was a Japanese market in the next town. And I had to be very careful about checking the use by date-they'd be months out from it.

Now I can find them in several stores-but still predomintaley the Asain stores.

Honestly, I'm not sure they are worth going to great lengths to get them. I can pick them up when I do my regular shopping. They don't really have that much flavor or texture. They tend to cost less then $2 for a small package of maybe 2 servings. The calorie count is low so it's a plus. But if you are making a special trip to a grocery store an hour away you may be disappointed.

IMHO-Zucchini noodles are just as good for most things. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/zucchi...-2/Detail.aspx

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-16-2010 at 10:12 AM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #14  
Healthy mommy

Yum those zucchini noodles look scrumptious, and a great way to get more veggies in!

Sarahyu you're right, I am not sure it's worth the travel. (I had considered traveling out of my way to find them but luckily I found them and don't have to.) They were small packages that at first glance seemed fairly pricey, and so, I bought a LOT of them, but after it adds up and you consider the small package and serving amount, it is probably not worth the gas to drive long distances for it. I was glad I had budgeted some pricy 'extras' in my grocery budget so I was able to afford several packages.

But just to let you all know, anyone who has a Harris Teeter nearby, they do indeed carry them. I went yesterday and found them. I kept in mind what Rdw1 said, that in Publix they're in the refrigerated section with the tofu. So I thought maybe Harris Teeter would as well and they did. They had spinach flavored fettucine shaped ones, and then thinner plain ones that looked like typical asian noodles or even could be used as angel hair pasta. They were already cooked and packaged in water, all you have to do is put them in hot water to heat. They consist of only tofu and the konjac stuff and water.

Tonight I'm making something asian! I don't know what but it will incorporate these noodles and I'm really excited to try them.

Do they freeze well? I bought a lot of packages and they have expiration dates so if they will freeze will, I'll freeze some for later use.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-16-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #15  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

I have no idea about freezing them, I would imagine not too well... but you never know, tofu changes cinsistency when frozen so that is why I think they wouldn't? Maybe you could sacrifice one package and see maybe it would be fine?

If you do it let us know!

Glad you found them! They're a bit different texture than a noodle but they work for cravings... I second the zucchini for noodles... Cyndi turned me on to this spiral slicer that works fantastic for making noodles out of many veggies!

Last edited by rdw1; 08-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.