Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #1  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Talking Metamucil seems to be changing my life!!! (TMI?)

I (at the ripe old age of 20) have been suffering from chronic constipation for a LOOOOONG time! It seems that I am hardly regular no matter how much water I drink, how active I am, how much fiber, how many veggies etc. Most of my friends eat a fiber one bar, and are running to the bathroom (its frustrating). And it is sometimes frustrates me to the point if tears that I was robbed of my youth with a fat, constipated body (both of my parents are regular, and they are 50!). I sometimes resort to laxatives or special teas after not moving my bowels for a couple of days, but those are harsh, not good for me, and can not be used all the time. Friday, I was in a bad mood all day because I was constipated, and my aunt was laughing at me saying I reminded her of her mother (my grandma). Two days ago I purchased some metamucil (the powdered orange one that you add to water) It tastes good, and the results have been great! It is the first thing I have ever tried that seems to be getting my bowels in check, and it is safe to use daily

My point to all of this is: Even though the beginning of this post was dramatic, I now find it AMUSING that at 20 years old, METAMUCIL is changing my life LOLOLOL!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I saw this post on the 3fc homepage and just had to respond. My husband and I also take Metamucil every day and I don't feel right unless I do. I just detest the feeling of not going in the AM. When I take the Metamucil (we actually use the CVS brand which is much cheaper) I go every morning first thing and it is a great way to start my day. TMI??? But still!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Do you drink it once a day or more? In the morning or at night?
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #4  
On my way

I have just begun...you are supposed to have one rounded teaspoon in one 8oz glass of water up to 3x a day. It is def better if the water is warm or hot. And I will def take it at least every morning. And I will be experimenting with if I want to take it after lunch or after dinner...I don't want to take it the full 3x a day.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

This is just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. My 12 year old son was also having digestive problems. He would have a BM about every 3 or 4 days. We took him to a doctor several years ago and she put him on a laxative, polyethelyne glycol. It worked as long as he was taking it, but the problems returned after he stopped. Recently we (I am doing this with him for support) started seeing a doctor who specializes in nutrition and 2 weeks ago he told us to stop all grains and dairy. It sounds hard, but once you get used to it, it really isn't. You get to drink Almond milk, which is non-dairy, but really, really good. Anyway, since then, my son now has a BM mostly once and sometimes twice a day and he has also lost 10 lbs. I have lost 6. I have also read several nutrition books recently (especially about digestive problems) and the 6 that I read all said NO dairy. I am not saying that this will work for every one, but it sure has for us. I also have a lot more energy and just feel better overall. Don't mean to be preachy, just wanted to throw this out there.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #6  
Calorie Cutting Queen

S/C/G: 279/265/165

Height: 5.5

I had issues much like yours and one day had some severe issues and had to go to my dr. He said "metamucil EVERY DAY"...I took his advise; and now 13 years later am still doing metamucil everyday! I drink mine at night, a couple hours before bed. And for a long time now, I'm actually going twice a day!!! WHo knew how good your body could feel just by "going" every day!! I like the berry kind the best!
Kristikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #7  
On my way

Mom with issues, I have tried the no dairy thing several times, all when my symptoms have gotten worse, and I went off it for 2 weeks last month. Nothing seems to change...I think my body is just SLOW.

Yes Kristikins, I think last week (my first week with metamucil) Was the BEST week of my life LOL!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/190/130

Height: 4' 11"

Talk to your doc ASAP at your age I was diagnosed with chrons (later changed to IBS). Both are serious conditions and could result in death if not taken care of. I found success with the scd diet. Bans all starches and some dairy. Please go!
Shortymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #9  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Is metamucil gluten free?

I find with a gluten free diet I have trouble getting enough fiber at times, and I don't go as often as I did. I miss my morning poo's
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #10  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

My best friend has IBS and Chrons, among other things. She swears by metamucil... I'm glad you found something that works for you! YEY!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

For years and years, I went to the bathroom for a movement about 3-4 times a week. About a year and a half ago, maybe a little less, I started drinking water with Metamucil 3 times a day and now I go every day and I feel a lot better. Metamucil is my bff
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

When I went to pick up some metamucil, there were like (what seemed) 15 different kinds. Pill forms, powders, sugar free, pink lemonade, berry, orange, chocolate wafers.... i left the store even more confused and empty handed.

So what should I get?!?
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I just use the original orange powder one but is is sugar free.

Last edited by Onederchic; 07-19-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #14  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I answered my own question :3 Metamucil IS gluten free so safe for me to have.

Another positive
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #15  

I have said these exact same words to my sister. "Metamucil changed my life!" I'll tell anyone. I was one, though, that didn't really "know" I was constipated. I just never felt good afterwards and cleaned out. Metamucil is also my bff. :-) I would think that I would be losing some weight though with all the other crap, literally, that I'm losing lol. ??
jenny79 is offline   Reply With Quote